Thread: Birchwood to Valdez

Default Birchwood to Valdez

Thinking of making the trip over to Valdez. Should we fly straight line or fly the road?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever weather will allow. Do knik and pop over to to sound stay a bit north so you have land to crash at. Road is fine but will add some time. no fuel at Valdez so if you go the road plan a fuel stop. Eureka has a strip and mogas if needed. Wind was bad out west today so check them also.
    DENNY

The risk factor goes up with coastal route because of limited to no place to land without damaging your aircraft. I went to the fly-in on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago and one reason I flew this route was because of almost zero winds across the mountains. I flew down at 7500 feet and back at 8500 feet and close enough to the coast to make a forced landing.

When following the road I have the option of flying low level unless channeled winds through the valleys dictate flying above them.

I really liked it back when the fly-in / take-off contest was held at Gulkana for all the above reasons. Sure Valdez has more hotels for city folks, but other than two days a year, it is not really a general aviation friendly spot.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I really liked it back when the fly-in / take-off contest was held at Gulkana for all the above reasons. Sure Valdez has more hotels for city folks, but other than two days a year, it is not really a general aviation friendly spot.
    No! It is not a GA friendly spot. I landed in some strong gusty winds and stayed in the seat for an hour to keep from getting flipped. I had rope but no anchors. Silly me thinking tiedowns were available... I was unprepared. Just as I was about to leave, Mark with Black Sheep Aviation approached with some spikes and a hammer. Thanks Mark! Made my day! A lot of comraderie in GA.

Back when Gulkana was loosing the honors...( I never did find out why) Someplace like Soldotna should have jumped it.... to grab it up.
    While Homer would be nice, the DOT control of the airport and the flights service would go nuts...
    Soldotna generally has good weather and winds and a very friendly aviation community. Plus there is no active flight service, nor airport nazis anywhere in sight.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com