Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you hunt alone?

Default Why do you hunt alone?

For those that hunt alone I'm curious as to why. Do you do it by choice or necessity? By necessity I mean you need/want to go hunting and canít find anyone to go with so you go alone. And for those who go alone by choice, is it because you enjoying being alone or is it because you like being able to make your own decisions in regards to hunting (such as departure times and areas) without worrying about what other people think or feel?

I know a lot of people argue against hunting solo but it seems thatís how the majority of my hunting is going to be done. If I keep waiting around for my friends to have enough time off I donít think Iíll ever get to go. The seasons are short and Iíve been waiting for 14 years. Iím done waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Bear View Post
    For those that hunt alone I'm curious as to why. Do you do it by choice or necessity?
    For me it's a little of both. I will hunt with friends, and do enjoy it. But sometimes I just like to be alone, especially when I'm in a place I've hunted a lot. It's hard to say really, I just like it. And it is nice to not have to worry about anybody else too....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Both. My wife is my go-to hunting partner in the fall, but sometimes she can't go. A friend of mine is my go-to partner for predators in the winter, but his work schedule and mine often don't match. In those cases, I'd rather get out alone than stay at home. That said, often going alone is a choice. I'll be going out for the day on Monday, and I have a number of people that I could invite. That said, I crave solitude and don't get it as often as I'd like. A solo hunt can be a very fulfilling thing so long as the hunter is prepared and knowledgable. At least six or eight times a year (ideally more) I need to go to the mountains alone - it's very good for the soul, and sometimes can make for some amazing hunting as well.

I think one of the prime reasons for me is that my schedule and area allows me great latitude to act spontaneously. At one pm I might be on the couch reading American Hunter and at 4pm I'm out missing 'gimme' shots at a wolf just a short wheeler drive from the house. If a guy had to wait for a partner I would not get out any where near as often as I do. So while there are many advantages to hunting WITH someone, one should not let THAT stop them from enjoying the outdoors whenever he can.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I just like being alone in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Bear View Post
    I know a lot of people argue against hunting solo but it seems thatís how the majority of my hunting is going to be done. If I keep waiting around for my friends to have enough time off I donít think Iíll ever get to go. The seasons are short and Iíve been waiting for 14 years. Iím done waiting.
    Welcome to my world. I know it's more risky to hunt alone. My girlfriend doesn't like the idea of it much. It seems like it'shard to get people to make a commitment to go hunting (or fishing, or dipnetting, or whatever). It's always some lame excuse of (I don't know, I'll ave to look at the calendar, or we'll see, or I'll get back to you I'll call you next week bla bla bla bla. In the end, they never get it together. I'm done waiting for folks to make up their minds. (It's probably just a ploy to get out of hunting with me anyway lol.)

I have seldom got to hunt with peers. Most cases when with someone else its a mentor thing and I enjoy passing on things as my grandfather did to me. I never hunt alone as my grandfather is always with me and when real close to critters I sometime smile because I know my grandfather is.I love the forrest,lakes and streams alone with gramps.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hunting alone is great. I need it to regroup thoughts, but more importantly; no one to talk to means I can focus on what I'm doing and minimal noise. You just have to be ready to survive shall crap hit the fan. The 6 P's; proper planning prevents piss poor performance (or death) hahaha. But in all seriousness a good hunting partner is hard to find and schedule. When you find a good one, keep their ass around!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

A combination of solo and with a partner is ideal IMO. We learn from others, but also learn from being alone. The desired ratio of solo/partner/group hunting will vary from individual to individual. I'm probably heading out this evening for a solo black bear hunt. Everything is up to me for better or worse.

Definitely have a hard time finding folks that have both time and money to go! On top of that, IMO it's more difficult for a female to find a decent partner to go with. The guys are either in a relationship and have jealous girlfriends or have some sort of complex that the female may harvest an animal and they will not or the female harvest's a bigger animal than he. Pretty rediculous, if you ask me! If I want to go hunting, I will ask around, but I will not let the "flakes" keep me from going!

Obvious, a little bit of a sensitive subject for me.
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

My other problem is.........as was over and over noted on my elementary school report card: "David does not play well with the other children".

I find I am hunting alone less as I get older.....but I'm still young at 38. Used to be unless I had ample opportunity to share there was already enough competition around and my time in the field is treasured. Finding a suitable hunting partner also can be a challenge (many are capable, too many have loose lips or a lack of creativity). I now have some very good hunting partners so that helps. Flexibility of time schedule is also a huge reason.

However, I don't have the need for trigger success that I used to and celebrate the group's harvests hopefully as well as older members of groups used to when I was all fired up to fill a tag. I find it easier to work to maintain camp and run logistics than to worry about who beats who out of camp and who gets that secret meadow (which we all know about ......)

@WildlifeProclivity.......it's true that there are some bad attitudes and short weiners out there, but ensure that some of the attitude is not your own. I have often been frustrated by female (usually new) hunters that get into more sword fights than dudes because they want to prove themselves or something like that, and often seem waaaaay too focused on the kill and the pictures instead of the experience. I don't know you and am certainly not pointing fingers, it's just that often the attitude we observe is the one we are projecting and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. (and can be good or bad)

There are plenty of men in the modern world, that don't care how you pee, or what you shoot...... as long as you are a decent camp mate, respect the resource, and do your share. I hope that you find one. My wife in particular would be glad to see me hunt with a female so that I would stop asking her if she wanted to come, she would probably even coach her how to chew my butt so that her coverage isn't interrupted when I'm in the woods

I hunt alone very often because my wife, and kids are on a different schedule than me. My priority is hunting with them, but when they are not available then I may reach smaller, tighter, shorter areas while lighter in the Cub.

I snore. Loud.

Mainly because I don't care for splitting the meat.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I like the quiet, people talk. I equally enjoy hunting either way but feel less pressure to be successful when I hunt alone. and most of my friends prefer to spend money on food and homes.

Usually if I'm alone it's my choice. Sometimes I like to just go and be by myself. It took several years but I've finally got a small group of partners that will go just about whenever and we're compatible in camp. Similar temperament, risk profiles, ability to split costs, etc.

After suffering a pretty nasty fall on a solo hunt, I can fully attest that going solo is significantly riskier than with a partner and you underestimate that at your peril. That said- I've had some great trips solo but you do have to really slow down and pay attention to everything.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Taking the wrong person can wreck your entire hunting trip. I hunt with a select few and a select few only because I found most people are more trouble than they're worth when you drag them into the woods. You end up taking care of them like their little kids. My hunting time is too important for that.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

But to answer your question, if those few people I choose to hunt with are busy I'm more than happy to go alone and do often!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

one person who knows how to be quiet in the woods hunting is why I often hunt alone.....two people make twice the noise....stalking (and listening) is a lost art....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast