Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Alaska what to bring for hunting

Default Moving to Alaska what to bring for hunting

I will be moving to Alaska next week and I'm seeking advice about what to bring. Was ready for a change in career direction and found the perfect job in a remote village not connected by any roads. I love the outdoors and recently got into hunting so Alaska is perfect for me (I have never been, so hopefully the statement turns out to be true).

Rifle- I have a 30-06 and this should be fine for big game. Should I also bring a .22? Semi auto or bolt? Is ammo impossible to come by?

I do not have a shotgun and have never been duck hunting (not many ducks where I live in the desert). Is it worthwhile?

Fishing- should I buy a salmon pole and gear and mail it to myself or buy it in Alaska?

Handgun- I see many threads on this subject for bears. I do not like recoil, will not practice if I got a 500 S&W. Given that, would a 44 mag strike a good balance between recoil / bear stopping power?

What do you do for winter clothes? Where do you get them? Anything that is "must have"?

Any other tips of what I should bring? I will not be bringing an automobile will only take what I can pack and mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtrek86 View Post
    I love the outdoors and recently got into hunting so Alaska is perfect for me
    Well that may be yet to be seen.......lol.

You might want to wait until you get up here to get a lot of your gear when you find out exactly what it is you need. For instance, do you know what "bunny boots" are? if not then you may just want to wait. A lot of gear you may buy down there may not really do that well up here......BUT your 06' should do you fine....lol. Never hurts to have a 22 and scatter gun either.

Good luck with the move...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I will be moving to Alaska next week and I'm seeking advice about what to bring. Was ready for a change in career direction and found the perfect job in a remote village not connected by any roads. I love the outdoors and recently got into hunting so Alaska is perfect for me (I have never been, so hopefully the statement turns out to be true).

Rifle- I have a 30-06 and this should be fine for big game. Should I also bring a .22? Semi auto or bolt? Is ammo impossible to come by?

I do not have a shotgun and have never been duck hunting (not many ducks where I live in the desert). Is it worthwhile?

Fishing- should I buy a salmon pole and gear and mail it to myself or buy it in Alaska?

Handgun- I see many threads on this subject for bears. I do not like recoil, will not practice if I got a 500 S&W. Given that, would a 44 mag strike a good balance between recoil / bear stopping power?

What do you do for winter clothes? Where do you get them? Anything that is "must have"?

Any other tips of what I should bring? I will not be bringing an automobile will only take what I can pack and mail.
    .06 is a fine gun, ammo is readily available. .22 ammo next to impossible to find in Alaska now; buy several thousand rounds and bring them with you. Another option is .17 HMR; relatively cheap ammo and available. Also a shotgun will do most of what a .22 will, and ammo is readily available.
    Buy your fishing gear in Alaska, in Anchorage, Wasilla or another main town. The shops will mostly be carrying gear that works, and the sales staff can help with your selection. Smaller specialty shops generally have more knowledgeable staff, and often the prices are decent too. If you already have fishing gear, your bass/walleye combo will likely be fine for all salmon but kings... rods in the 8-15# or 10-20# class, 7-8' are great. 8 wt. for fly rod will cover all species but kings, 6 wt will be nicer to use for most trout fishing.
    .44 Mag has saved a lot of lives.
    Winter clothes are available by mail order, craigslist, any stores in Anchorage. Lots of bush residents will do their shopping on trips to Anchorage, and mail order is very big. Postal rates to bush are subsidized and aren't out of the world.
    Bring lots of trade beads and bright cloth. Just kidding! Bring a good attitude, and be ready to share. Cabin fever relievers; winters are long. DVD and good movie selection is a good idea.

Can you give us an idea of the region of the state you'll be in? The ideal gear in Arctic Village is different than the ideal gear in Dillingham which is different than the ideal gear in Elfin Cove. Alaska covers a wide range of climates and hunting/fishing opportunities - in some places a salmon pole will be worthless, as there are no salmon. In other places it'll be as necessary to your dinner as your frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Alaska covers a wide range of climates and hunting/fishing opportunities
    Indeed.....think rain forest to Arctic desert.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Can you give us an idea of the region of the state you'll be in? The ideal gear in Arctic Village is different than the ideal gear in Dillingham which is different than the ideal gear in Elfin Cove. Alaska covers a wide range of climates and hunting/fishing opportunities - in some places a salmon pole will be worthless, as there are no salmon. In other places it'll be as necessary to your dinner as your frying pan.
    I was about to post the same question. Where are u relocating TO? There are a couple places up here u won't need to bring your cheese grater for getting that nice 'shave ice' from the wall of your igloo.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Polypropylene and fleece and indispensable up here. I really like cabelas and REI brand clothes and anchorage has both stores.

There are endless threads debating hand guns and bears, te wife and I both carry .44 mags and shotguns depending on what we're doing. I also keep a big supply of poly socks, wool socks or wool blend socks. Definitely get some bunny boots in anchorage as a previous poster mentioned. An assortment of waterproof gloves too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to know where you are headed to. Saying "I'm moving to alaska, what do I need" is akin to a foreigner saying "I'm moving to America, what do I need?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LuJon; 05-23-2014 at 00:52.

Moving to Fort Yukon.

I never considered a .17, looks like that is a good choice. I'll look into getting some bunny boots. Don't think I will be in Anchorage anytime soon so will have to buy in Fairbanks or order online. Is there a specific brand/ store you recommend?

Here is the Super TOP secret about what you REALLY need..........I can't tell you as it is a secret, BUT if you get fully dressed and get in the shower then turn the water on ICE cold, with violent pounding relentless pulsating shower head for 1/2 hour you should be able to figure out what you truly need to hunt in Alaska.

Fairbanks has several stores to buy what you need. For general outdoor clothing, Big Ray's has pretty good selection. Sportsmans Warehouse, Prospector, Frontier Sporting Goods, REI (which is new here), Beaver Sports and others in no particular order.

Like the others have posted, an 06, a 12 gauge and a 22 will cover a lot of territory up here. Nothing wrong with carrying a 44 magnum for bear defense in those situations where you aren't carrying the 06. I prefer cast lead bullets for the 44 such as those offered by Federal (300 grain Cast Core), Garrett, Buffalo Bore or the Backpacker ammo rolled right here in Alaska. All of these are fairly scarce right now so if you can but several boxes down there and bring them up with you, you'll be set. 30-06 and 12 gauge ammo is relatively plentiful so you shouldn't have too much problem buying them locally.

Please brace yourself for higher prices than you are accustomed to seeing. Things are more expensive up here. Right now, 22 ammo is as scarce as hen's teeth. I don't know specifically what calibers the folks in Ft Yukon are using but I would think you would be the most popular guy in the village if you showed up with as much 22 ammo as you can carry.

"Beaver Sports".....................

Bring $$$$

AMEN to that.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Bring $$$$

...seeking advice about what to bring....
    When I moved up here in the 1970's I went looking for advice and got lots of it. Mostly WRONG!

Here's the advice I wish I had received:

Bring what you have and don't sell a single thing.

I got rid of all sorts of guns I heard weren't "Alaskan" enough. Then got up here and learned my advisers had been eating a steady diet of moose nuggets.

Spent the next 10 or 15 years trying to replace the stuff I sold on bad advice. Sure I picked up some real "Alaskan" guns once I got up here, but I sure took a beating selling stuff too fast and too low, then buying replacements too slow and too high.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    When I moved up here in the 1970's I went looking for advice and got lots of it. Mostly WRONG!

Here's the advice I wish I had received:

Bring what you have and don't sell a single thing.

I got rid of all sorts of guns I heard weren't "Alaskan" enough. Then got up here and learned my advisers had been eating a steady diet of moose nuggets.

Spent the next 10 or 15 years trying to replace the stuff I sold on bad advice. Sure I picked up some real "Alaskan" guns once I got up here, but I sure took a beating selling stuff too fast and too low, then buying replacements too slow and too high.
    Great point! The trout gear I brought up with me is unheard of around here and flat out slays the fish, you can't even buy some of it here. Likewise my hunting boots wouldn't make the list of top 100 on this site and I didn't die for the first few years I used them. I did immediately upgrade to some Kennetreks after a particularly grueling bear stalk, the sheep couldn't figure out what we were doing so high above them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose (and hope) your employer has told you that jumping into Ft Yukon from the lower-48 is gonna be somewhat difficult until people get to know you and ascertain if you're yet another transient or intend to stay a while. I don't know your life experiences, but man you're jumping into a world and place that can be difficult. Also, depending on your finances, you would have to purchase nonres tags for moose and caribou and black bear until you are here a year and become a resident. As well as the nonres license. You can't take a grizz or sheep without a guide if you are nonres.

Moose are scarce around Ft Yukon. King salmon fishing is all but closed. People are hungry. Plenty of opportunity for black bear if you have a boat and can get out on the river(s). You'll have time to figure out what winter gear you'll need, and you can get that in Fbks or look locally for used bunny boots or handmade Native winter garb like mitts and hats. Inre fishing, without a boat to get around there isn't much fishing to be had. The Yukon is silty and you catch things in the Yukon with nets or wheels or trot lines, like for burbot. Mouth of creeks where clear meets silt are good for grayling, spinning rod using lures.

Take some time and try to build relationships with the locals to get more info on the where and how etc.

Good luck!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

The real Bata bunny boots are not made anymore.

http://world.bata.com/news/2013/flas...nny-boots-bata

Fort Yukon...put your belongings in storage and spend the first year getting used to being there. If you make it through the first school year then go get your belongings and finish the move.

There is not much to hunt within a day or two of town. Ducks and grouse are a bout it unless the hares are up. There are pike around town. If you golf bring two or three clubs. No need for a putter.

Make sure you are OK with being the odd man out for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Fort Yukon...put your belongings in storage and spend the first year getting used to being there. If you make it through the first school year then go get your belongings and finish the move.

There is not much to hunt within a day or two of town. Ducks and grouse are a bout it unless the hares are up. There are pike around town. If you golf bring two or three clubs. No need for a putter.

Make sure you are OK with being the odd man out for a long time.
    Man, moving from anywhere USA to Ft. Yukon is quite a change - almost like movin' to a foreign country!! Reread AK RAY'S quote above several times.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast