Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Copper River Reports

Default 2014 Copper River Reports

Word just in from federal subsistence fishwheels:

Water is very very low and fish have not showed yet above the bridge.

I was expecting levels to be low this year. Not much snowpack to melt. Should be interesting to see how that effects launching a boat above the bridge. That gravel bar will probably be exposed.

the copper is fed by glaciers...snowpack is always there to melt on a glacier. it has been cool in the high country, that is why the rivers are low. the copper will rise with the summer temps

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    the copper is fed by glaciers...snowpack is always there to melt on a glacier. it has been cool in the high country, that is why the rivers are low. the copper will rise with the summer temps
    I'm sure it'll rise some, but I doubt we'll see typical spring flood levels. Melting snowpack in early summer is what usually really brings the level up temporarily, then it levels out with the glacial flow.

better to have the gravel bar exposed... then to be covered with 4 inches of water... I saw photos from a couple days ago.... the gravel bar goes pretty far up river right now

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Word just in from federal subsistence fishwheels:

Water is very very low and fish have not showed yet above the bridge.
    Any update on fish being caught above the bridge in the fishwheels?

Alcan.... I have two friends that have fish wheels that I keep in touch with... one has his wheel in the water but not turning... the other ones on the bank waiting for a place to go... the problem is the wheels are close to the bridge and not pass the sandbar that goes up river pretty far right now.... the reason they're not pass the sandbar... is that there is no current by the shore.... there's so much silt... they cant get there wheels then

continued.... cant get their wheels in....soooo the few wheels that are close to the bridge.... I figure won't be catching fish even if there's a lot of fish going up the river... the way I figure it is the fish stay away from the chitina river... not wanting to fight the current where it comes into the copper.. so they travel on the other side of the river... when they go under the bridge many cross over shortly after... so when they do go to the other side they have to go past the sand bar.. so that's past where the wheels are.... so if you wanna find out you have to find out from wheels up the river more... I did hear the end of last week they were catching a few up by the airport.... not sure if I got it figured out just right but that's what I think

the reason there's so much silt.... is because last year the kostina river changed its course .... created a bunch of fingers closer to the bridge.. thus dumping a lot of extra silt

Brother Francis,

Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    Alcan.... I have two friends that have fish wheels that I keep in touch with... one has his wheel in the water but not turning... the other ones on the bank waiting for a place to go... the problem is the wheels are close to the bridge and not pass the sandbar that goes up river pretty far right now.... the reason they're not pass the sandbar... is that there is no current by the shore.... there's so much silt... they cant get there wheels then

talk to a friend tonight he was down there last Wednesday at the airport.... a wheel had 4 reds and one king... lot can happen in a week... anybody got any more recent info

Default Knockin' at the door...

128 at Canyon Creek wheels on Tuesday. Wednesday should be even higher.

The 25K fish question: What day will the 5/21 Miles Lake fish reach the bridge? Do you see 7 days? 8 days?

My buddy was out scouting at the bridge this weekend and the water was pretty low...not sure how that will affect the fish' speed upstream

Low water allows them to expend less energy and make speedy upriver progress, which is important for the first fish of the season going long distances to the Taz and Upper Copper.

Reds are in the fish wheel in Copper Center.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Default Comparing 0600 counts with Actual Escapement

Looks like the 0600 count is consistently lower than the actual count.

Lookin' good for the Subsistence opener.

Looking at the AF&G tables, it is rather other way around. Up to 47% increase yesterday (2000+ at 0600 vs 15K actual), comparing 0600 count multiplied by four vs. actual count. Quite a few days days with 30% or so. Worst case scenario I got so far is just 0%, which means it was exact factor of four difference.

100% * (total count - 4* 0600 count)/total count

9.1% 12-May
    38.8% 13-May
    0.8% 14-May
    35.7% 15-May
    39.7% 16-May
    35.7% 17-May
    9.4% 18-May
    21.9% 19-May
    33.3% 20-May
    19.3% 21-May
    18.0% 22-May
    29.1% 23-May
    9.3% 24-May
    0.2% 25-May
    0.4% 26-May
    46.7% 27-May

OK, I misunderstood your post. YOu mean that 0600*4 undershoots consistently actual count. Agreed.
    My running 5-days averaged effective multiplication factor is around 6 now instead of nominal 4.

Default Why lower 0600 counts are good:

Roger that... I like that the 0600 counts are lower than the actual escapement because:

1. the escapement news is better than the 0600 numbers indicate, and
    2. if the upriver behavior is consistent, then fewer fish are traveling at night when I hope to be sleeping.

Anyone not getting the spreadsheet on the ADF&G Miles Lake Sonar escapement page? Wondering if its just me, its broke, or my link is out of date?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast