Thread: Garmin 840XS Install on 2005 Trophy Pro 2359

Default Garmin 840XS Install on 2005 Trophy Pro 2359

I just purchased this GPS/Sonar unit a week or so ago. Had a friend over last night and we installed it on the boat. Installation was very easy, except for the extremely short transducer cable. What in the heck was Garmin thinking other than they were gonna make more money because anyone who installed this transducer would need to buy the extension.

Anyway, was able to squeeze every inch out of the cable and finally got it to hook up to the unit. Turned it on and man what a nice machine. Very impressed. Nice crystal clear display, super fast refresh on the GPS and the maps are very detailed.

Now for the issue: When I removed the old transducer screws I noticed water oozing out of them. Since I had to drill an additional hole, I looked at the wood core that came out on the drill bit and luckily it was dry and clean, not wet and/or black meaning the wood was soaked and/or rotten. I'm still very concerned about the water seepage from the holes though, so need some recommendations.

I was thinking I need to remove every screw and reseal everything. Additionally, I'm wondering if the Alpha 1 outdrive (yes it's an inboard/outboard) needs to be resealed? What are your thoughts?

Thanks and Tight Lines from Alaska!
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

CAC plastic has a moisture meter and can evaluate your boat if needed, FYI.
    BK

I called CAC plastic, I'm going to try to get out there. Since they are in Wasilla it's a pretty good ways out of the way. If I can't find anyone local, then I'll have to do it. I called AMD and they didn't seem too concerned since the core was clean and dry, but I still don't know where that water could be coming from. Another buddy of mine said possibly that there is some delamination and moisture in between but there are no visual signs on the transom of delamination, bubbles, etc.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"