Thread: Eklutna hunting Trails?

Default Eklutna hunting Trails?

Hey guys,
    My wife and I are planning on heading out to Eklutna this coming weekend for a bear. was wondering if there is a trail that will kick me away from all the day hikers and campers? want to hike in to some known secluded bear territory. Also, do I have this information right... If I hike far enough east away from the lake will I be able to also hunt brown bear with a harvest ticket/general season? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    There is no Brown Bear hunting in the Eklutna drainage without permit. There are trails but out of respect for others who have plans to be there hunting I would urge anyone to not just flap their internet lips about this information. Go hiking with your wife and start figuring some things out about the area you want to hunt.
    +1........

I'm not looking for any known honey holes, I want to know what might be a good trailhead off the main atv trail that goes around the lake.

No such thing as a "honey hole". Unless by hole you mean roughly 100 square mile area.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Incidentally, hunting around Eklutna Lake on Memorial Day weekend is just begging for loads of non-hunting company. You're not likely to find a trail up there that will take you away from the day hikers, as lots of the day hikers in the Chugach can and will go further than many hunters will. That's not to say that the crowds won't thin out as you get further into the field - they will - but given the calendar and a lot of people adjusting their plans due to the fires on the Peninsula, I'd expect plenty of company around the entire Eklutna drainage.

Modern Alaska..............Memorial Day Weekend. Pick a trail, and first down the trail is 35 brightly dressed day hikers with Cow'bells and Jinggle'bells yelling "YO-Bear, coming through". Followed by a hunter in $300.00 camo. The hunter is followed by 22 more brightly clad in electric blue and vibrant yellow, with cow'bells yelling, "YO-bear". Add in someone practicing landings on the runway next to the developed campground.

Was a time you could drive a Buick back there, stay a week and never see another human for the whole week.

Take a canoe up the right side of the lake and do some heavy duty bushwhacking.

My understanding is the right side is all native land?

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    My understanding is the right side is all native land?
    Very good point! Be very careful with what lands you are crossing into!

What the others have said is all correct- heavily used trails especially on a holiday weekend. Any of the trails will get you headed in to good country but will need to head out far and higher with the warm weather. I was out last week and saw sow/cubs and they were way up.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Modern Alaska..............Memorial Day Weekend. Pick a trail, and first down the trail is 35 brightly dressed day hikers with Cow'bells and Jinggle'bells yelling "YO-Bear, coming through". Followed by a hunter in $300.00 camo. The hunter is followed by 22 more brightly clad in electric blue and vibrant yellow, with cow'bells yelling, "YO-bear". Add in someone practicing landings on the runway next to the developed campground.

Was a time you could drive a Buick back there, stay a week and never see another human for the whole week.
    I tell tourists not to buy the bells at Wally World as they are bacon-flavored....