Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk vs. Ruger Redhawk

Default Ruger Super Redhawk vs. Ruger Redhawk

I'm looking at getting either a 5" Ruger .454 SRH Toklat or a 5-1/2" .44 stainless Redhawk. Among other things, I would be bringing it to SW AK for my second AK hunt for brown bear, moose, etc ... -- to use it when I am around camp, in the raft, etc ... when I won't be lugging around a rifle. I may be in the minority, but I was very glad I brought a handgun last time. I had my SA .454 when hanging out around camp, sitting by the fire at night, wandering about a bit, etc ... It is what it is. I liked not having to either lug a rifle everywhere or go unarmed. Just me.

Mostly forgetting caliber differences, my main question is whether the action on the SRH is so much better than the RH to favor getting the Toklat?

I far prefer the looks of the Redhawk, but I can get over that. I used to have a .44 Redhawk and liked it, but I found the grip slightly uncomfortable. But this could be overcome with an aftermarket grip.

They weigh about the same.

I do not consider the admitted .454 advantage in power and diameter (over the .429) so great as to be decisive for me. For example, I think the available BB .44 ammo is potent enough for even a giant bear if the shooter does his part. I just don't think that a 340gr HCFN bullet leaving a muzzle at about 1,400fps is lacking. And, while selecting hotter .454 loads is not wrong, it comes with the tradeoff of longer times between shot #1 and shot #2.

My FA shoots (chronographed) the BB 360gr HCFN bullet at around 1,500 fps. Better than the .44, but I'm not sure that a .360gr bullet going fairly fast will do that much better than a 340gr bullet going only about 100 fps less.

So, I'm good with either the .454 or the .44.

I usually don't have trouble making decisions, but I'm hung up on this one (perhaps because there's no wrong answer). So, I appreciate any help nudging me one way or the other.

If the action on the SRH is significantly better, that might be the thing that make the decision. But, if the SRH action is not that much better, I might go with the RH.

Thanks in advance for any input.

SRH clock works are quite a bit more refined and a lot more can be done with them but RH once well broken in isn't all that bad. There is a lot more grip freedom with the SRH and much better recoil absorbing grips can be had, with RH your pretty stuck with steel smacking you in the palm. SRH is quite a bit better improved gun over RH but it still is pretty ugly to my eye with the mostley pointless frame extention on the front.

Nope, you won't go wrong with ether . . . I'd not get a SRH in 44 but in 45(454) I'd prefer the SRH for the grip . . . Heck just get both!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the helpful info ADfields.

I haven't tried them yet, but I thought something like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/338...ProductFinding
    would be pretty good on the RH. Probably not as comfy as the huge rubbery grips on the SRH.

I'm only getting one.

As to the caliber, I'm not even considering a SRH in 44; I'm considering the 5" .454 SRH Toklat vs. the 5.5" RH .44 Rem.

Also, I forgot to say, I'm not planning to mount a scope or red dot, which seems to favor the RH.

I'm really torn.

I'm starting to think the Toglat SRH is better for practical purposes, but 20 times uglier than the Redhawk. If so, I probably will get the SRH.

Hey MH, Here's my Ruger Go-To Package, a guy can't have to many Ruger's.---

Attachment 78765Attachment 78766
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Functionally the SRH has many advantages over the RH like AD mentioned. Smoother action, more easily tuned. More grip options because of the design of the grip frame. But, like you I find the SRH ugly as sin!

For what you are describing you want it for, I'd point you towards the SRH. Plus you'd have a 45. You already shoot 454 so are familiar with the round. Plus, a .452 wfn 360-400gr will make a heck of a hole

My buddy has a SRH 480 he sent off to Mag-na-port for the 480 Advantage treatment they have. I pack a 4" 454 Redhawk. Here's a fun little video of the guns and us doing some shooting last fall. I must say, I REALLY like the feel of the SRH. But, I like my 45 Colt BisHunter the best

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/pb...782a0.mp4.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The SRH action is much nicer to my shooting but the RH is a strong enough gun and looks better. I would really like to find a real cheap SRH and have SKS do a beast conversion on it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Try to shoot both Redhawk and Super Redhawk.

The Redhawk feels nice in my hand, but I find it uncomfortable to shoot, with heavy loads, regardless of grip I used...

Super Redhawk shoots nice for me, I have a .454 shortened to 4 3/8" with the grips off of a Alaskan model. Fits my hand perfect.

The 5 1/2" Redhawk balances nice in the hand, and is nice looking. I have one in 45 Colt.

I have a Super in 44 mag. 7 1/2", I'd like to get it cut down to 5 1/2".

If you get a Redhawk, check the barrel to see if it is over/under clocked, before you buy. Not too uncommon.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Go with the Toklat! Smother action, lighter, more comfortable to shoot and more accurate.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks to you all for all the helpful advice. I just ordered the Toklat. I'll let you know how it works out. I suppose I've always got my Model 83 for looks and hunting:

But I think the shorter DA SRH should be more practical for many outings.

Nice! On both the FA and the new Toklat!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Thanks to you all for all the helpful advice. I just ordered the Toklat. I'll let you know how it works out. I suppose I've always got my Model 83 for looks and hunting:

But I think the shorter DA SRH should be more practical for many outings.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'll be the odd guy (not uncommon for me). I really like the looks of my target gray 7.5" SRH in 480! That said I'm more concerned with function than looks so I love my SRH twicw as much! I find my SRH with Hogue grips & fairly heavy loads more pleasent to shoot than my RH 44mag ever was with any grip I put on it, but that's just a shape of the hand thing & may be different for others.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I got mine last weekend. Really like the action. It's not a pretty as some other guns, but, like a good power drill, I'm not really asking for it to make me want to stare at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Functionally the SRH has many advantages over the RH like AD mentioned. Smoother action, more easily tuned. More grip options because of the design of the grip frame. But, like you I find the SRH ugly as sin!

For what you are describing you want it for, I'd point you towards the SRH. Plus you'd have a 45. You already shoot 454 so are familiar with the round. Plus, a .452 wfn 360-400gr will make a heck of a hole

My buddy has a SRH 480 he sent off to Mag-na-port for the 480 Advantage treatment they have. I pack a 4" 454 Redhawk. Here's a fun little video of the guns and us doing some shooting last fall. I must say, I REALLY like the feel of the SRH. But, I like my 45 Colt BisHunter the best

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/pb...782a0.mp4.html
    Snyd, thanks again for posting all this information and that good video. That's some nice shooting, and it looks like it was fun. A couple of questions: Do you think that the 400gr-sized .45-cal bullets will do anything significantly more than the 360gr (or close) bullets when fired out in the 1,200fps to 1,400fps range? I was getting right around 1,500fps with the BB HCWFN 360gr loads out of my 7-1/2" FA. I figure that I would be getting somewhere between 1,300fps to 1,400fps with the same 360gr loads out of the 5" SRH (I will check before too long). I have the gut feeling (could be wrong) that I probably would be getting diminishing, if any, returns by going beyond a 360gr bullet up to 400gr in that caliber and velocity range, but I would appreciate your insight, since you seem to shoot a lot of loads in both rough weight ranges. Obviously, I would think the 400gr+ bullets would be superior on something really huge, like a cape buffalo, elephant, or T-Rex, etc ... But do you think that going from 360gr to 400gr gives that much more penetration than the 360gr in those velocity ranges on a bear-sized animal? Or will the 360gr at that speed have more than enough penetration? I know it's a somewhat subjective question, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    Also, I read (I can't remember where) that some people with some .454 revolvers have trouble stabilizing the 400gr bullets. Do you know anything about that? Is that for barrels with a lesser twist rate than the 1/24" SRH twist?

Obviously, I welcome anyone else's comments as well.

I feel once above 340gr. in 45colt or 454 you start to lose or at most break even. I would think the 460S&W with the extra powder would get more real power from the heaver bullets.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

...ok I mite be late to the parade...my black hawk .44 ...rolls when shot ...my old red hawk ..not so much...my buddy's 1975 s&w 629 hurts >period ...what is the deal
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I feel once above 340gr. in 45colt or 454 you start to lose or at most break even. I would think the 460S&W with the extra powder would get more real power from the heaver bullets.JMOFO
    I agree, you don't have powder capacity in 45/454 case to push a 395/405 bullet much over 1000fps. I load 395 and 405 for 460 Smith but they are too long for a 454 case.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I agree, you don't have powder capacity in 45/454 case to push a 395/405 bullet much over 1000fps. I load 395 and 405 for 460 Smith but they are too long for a 454 case.
    But you can push a 350 to 1200 in the 45... What more do you need?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    But you can push a 350 to 1200 in the 45... What more do you need?
    A .512 450gr at 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    A .512 450gr at 1200
    Touche! I shot a few of those last weekend. (Tho I prefer them down around 1100 in each case). What's the story with your 500?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Snyd, thanks again for posting all this information and that good video. That's some nice shooting, and it looks like it was fun. A couple of questions: Do you think that the 400gr-sized .45-cal bullets will do anything significantly more than the 360gr (or close) bullets when fired out in the 1,200fps to 1,400fps range? I was getting right around 1,500fps with the BB HCWFN 360gr loads out of my 7-1/2" FA. I figure that I would be getting somewhere between 1,300fps to 1,400fps with the same 360gr loads out of the 5" SRH (I will check before too long). I have the gut feeling (could be wrong) that I probably would be getting diminishing, if any, returns by going beyond a 360gr bullet up to 400gr in that caliber and velocity range, but I would appreciate your insight, since you seem to shoot a lot of loads in both rough weight ranges. Obviously, I would think the 400gr+ bullets would be superior on something really huge, like a cape buffalo, elephant, or T-Rex, etc ... But do you think that going from 360gr to 400gr gives that much more penetration than the 360gr in those velocity ranges on a bear-sized animal? Or will the 360gr at that speed have more than enough penetration? I know it's a somewhat subjective question, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    Also, I read (I can't remember where) that some people with some .454 revolvers have trouble stabilizing the 400gr bullets. Do you know anything about that? Is that for barrels with a lesser twist rate than the 1/24" SRH twist?

Obviously, I welcome anyone else's comments as well.
    I've done some experimenting with a 400+ gr in my 454 but couldn't keep them from jumping crimp in the 454 4" Redhawk. I seem to remember close to 1100fps and grouped good. I think I was shooting at 50ish yds. No keyholing, the Redhawk (originally 45 Colt) has a 1/16 twist. The load shoots great in the 454 Levergun at about 1400+ fps I think.

Bottom line is I've settled on what pistoleros like Linebaugh and others have said. 350-360 gr is about the max for the 454. I've got a 355gr load worked up that shoots great in the 4" Redhawk and 20" levergun. 1300fps in the 4" RH and doesn't jump crimp and about 1700 in the levergun. If I guy want to shoot 400gr + then it's time to go up in caliber. But, I have saved the loads for the levergun but that's a different animal. 1/24 twist I'm pretty sure but have read 1/30 also.

EDIT...

I found a couple pics. Here's what I ended up with. Actually the boolit weighed 422-435gr with my alloys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast