Thread: Fishfinder Recommendations

Default Fishfinder Recommendations

I'm looking to buy a new fishfinder. I've been looking at the Humminbird 787C2 combo fishfinder/GPS. Has anyone used the Humminbird 83khz/200khz fishfinders?

Everything I've read recommends using 50khz/200khz.

I'll be using the unit in ocean and rivers.

What GPS/fishfinder do you have what do you like/dislike?

Thanks!

I have the Humminbird 797CI2. I just bought it this year and have used it in Homer, Valdez, and Whittier. I'm really imporessed with it at this point. I did by the Mapping card to go in the unit and would highly recomend it if you plan on being in the salt waters. I have not used it in a river yet, but think it is going to be great. The biggest selling point to me was the really awesome side scan capabilities. Hope this helps.

I have an older Hummingbird 3D model. It will pick up a fish on the bottom (so long as it is not more than 1000 ft). But I don't really think it has picked up many halibut. I can see rock fish and every once in awhile porpoises mess with it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I've heard that fish finders can't see halibut because they don't have enough air in their system...don't know if it's true or not. Maybe someone out there knows for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    I have the Humminbird 797CI2. I just bought it this year and have used it in Homer, Valdez, and Whittier. I'm really imporessed with it at this point. I did by the Mapping card to go in the unit and would highly recomend it if you plan on being in the salt waters. I have not used it in a river yet, but think it is going to be great. The biggest selling point to me was the really awesome side scan capabilities. Hope this helps.
    I would like to have the 797 however I haven't seen it sold anywhere in Anchorage, and I think it might be a bit out of my price range. The 787c2 is available at Sportsmans Warehouse for $699. It looks like a nice unit. Where did you purchase your 797?

Thanks!

I have Garmin 498c I really like it. For the gps I do wish that I had a larger display.