Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Range drop camp moose hunt 2015

Default Brooks Range drop camp moose hunt 2015

Going on a drop camp moose hunt in the brooks range Ak. Need someone to go with me. They would like at least two hunters in camp. This will be a 2015 hunt. I will be driving up from Arizona. You can ride with me or I will meet you in Fairbanks. I'm driving so I can bring back all the meat. Looking at four or five air taxies that will drop us off with our gear. If interested i will send you my e-mail and phone number. This is my first time on here so I hope I'm doing this right.

You might try posting on the sticky at the top of the page where it says....."Open seat/looking for a hunting partner"......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That's a long drive.........

Better check on teh rules about transporting game meat through Canada before plunking down deposits. The issue is usually getting back into the US.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Already checked just have to have the right papers to bring back the meat and hides.

The drive up would be fascinating. That said, you could have the meat shipped to you by air cargo for much less cost (and time and hassle) than what the drive entails.

The drive is part of the adventure. Don't let anyone discourage you about it. My son and I drove it in 2010, and even though we had a major break down, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. Matter of fact, in 66 days we will be taking off from Kansas, and making the trek all the way to Happy Valley, for a fly-out with 70 North. No problem with bringing meat back across the border. You need to make a visit to F & G, and they will help you fill out the proper paper work (CITES form). We pulled a trailer with a freezer on it, and ran it over night before we left to head home. Froze the meat of 2 caribou on the bone, and only plugged it in one night on the way back. Meat stayed good and cold, and then thawed it out when we got home and processed it ourselves. Some of the best wild game meat I've ever had. Do the drive and make some memories. You'll be hooked and will want to do it again. Knute

I would be sure to check with Fish and Game before finalizing plans. Hunting on the North side of the Brooks was just heavily curtailed due to massive die-off; 75% or more of the herd in some places. I'm not sure if the area you're planning to hunt was part of that, but it would certainly pay to check!

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    and they will help you fill out the proper paper work (CITES form).
    CITES..........Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
    Curious why you would need a CITES form to transport moose meat?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

For what it cost to to fly to Fairbanks and then to Tok I can drive and bring back all the meat. Also don't have to pay extra for my camping gear. It will be a adventure. I will be hunting the southern Brooks Range. Still need someone to go with me. Don't know if they will take me by myself.

PM sent thank you,

Sorry, martentrapper, the CITES form is just required for brown/grizzly bear, wolverine, wolf, and a few other fur bearers. The form to transport meat, is just an import/export declaration form. I did it in 2010, and had no problems entering Canada or crossing back into the lower 48. Knute

willphish4food, I've looked up everything I can on e/o closures, herd surveys, and such, but can find no significant info on any herd die offs, other than historical fluctuation in the WAH. I will contact F & G next week after the holiday. Can you direct me to your info or expound on the information you have heard. Thanks. Knute

The herd die off he is referencing is for the very limited moose hunting on the north side of the Brooks not the CACH you'll be hunting from Happy Valley.

In Sept I will be flying from ABQ NM to Fairbanks for a moose hunt and my friend is driving up in August with a trailer and freezer then we will both be driving back to ABQ, I am really looking forward to the drive back! 3400 miles

dhancoc6, I am having a hard time even thinking of missing my archery elk hunt two years in a row but if you have a great place to be dropped I might be interested. Are you planning archery or rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by JPD350 View Post
    In Sept I will be flying from ABQ NM to Fairbanks for a moose hunt and my friend is driving up in August with a trailer and freezer then we will both be driving back to ABQ, I am really looking forward to the drive back! 3400 miles

dhancoc6, I am having a hard time even thinking of missing my archery elk hunt two years in a row but if you have a great place to be dropped I might be interested. Are you planning archery or rifle?
    going into the Brooks Range by air taxi. Don't know witch one yet, Brooks Range Air Taxi or Tok Air Taxi. Look them up on the web. Both are about 2500 dollars. I will be rifle hunting. I'll be going to Colorado elk hunting this year didn't get a Arizona tag. If you want more info. e-mail me at sierravista3@yahoo.com Thanks Donnie Hancock

Quote Originally Posted by dhancoc6 View Post
    going into the Brooks Range by air taxi. Don't know witch one yet, Brooks Range Air Taxi or Tok Air Taxi.
    Tok Air taxi? Do you mean Tok Air Service? Are you sure they operate in the Brooks Range?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Tok Air taxi? Do you mean Tok Air Service? Are you sure they operate in the Brooks Range?
    Yes Tok air taxi. They fly in unit 20 and 12.

Quote Originally Posted by dhancoc6 View Post
    Yes Tok air taxi. They fly in unit 20 and 12.
    Better check a map.........

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The Brooks Range is in GMU 23, 24, 25 and 26,,,,, Brooks Range Aviation are good folks,, http://www.bushwackerair.com/ is doing Moose drop camps into the south side of the Brooks and he is a good guy too.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast