Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Redhawk 44 hitting the market

Default New Ruger Redhawk 44 hitting the market

Just got an e-mail that shows a new Redhawk 44 mag. Photo attached.ruger kodiak backpacker.jpg
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Wow a snubby Redhawk!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Isn't that, essentially, the Alaskan?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Isn't that, essentially, the Alaskan?
    No, Alaskan is Super Redhawk with the big frame extention up front, post type grip frame and the more tunable GP100 type guts . . . Redhawk has a conventional frame like a Colt/Smith and a single main spring that is also the trigger spring.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    No, Alaskan is Super Redhawk with the big frame extention up front, post type grip frame and the more tunable GP100 type guts . . . Redhawk has a conventional frame like a Colt/Smith and a single main spring that is also the trigger spring.
    Well then now I'm REALLY lost LOL.

So, I THOUGHT the (non-super) Redhawk was basically the Security Six in a 44, and the SP100 was basically the "new" Security Six, while the GP100 was the same as the Super Redhawk.

Well then now I'm REALLY lost LOL.

So, I THOUGHT the (non-super) Redhawk was basically the Security Six in a 44, and the SP100 was basically the "new" Security Six, while the GP100 was the same as the Super Redhawk.
    SRH 454 7.5 inch, RH 45 Colt 4" with after market grips. SRH Alaskan has the tube chopped off at the barrel shroud.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I look at those two photos and see essentially the same gun.

The guts are different...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Try handling one of each at your local shop, they are based on the same frame but.

The Super started as a Redhawk, but it got a very heavy shroud on the frame wrapped around the first inch or so of barrel. And a different grip angle, and different internals.

FWIW a 4" redhawk and a 2" super redhawk weigh within two ounces of each other.

Note the ejector rod on the SRH is housed in the longer frame and barrel to frame joint is ahead of that.
    On the RH the ejector rod is housed in a barrel shroud not the frame and the barrel to frame joint is behind that.

Now note Travelers exploded views, SRH has a post like grip area that slips into a one piece grip and RH has a steel loop that two grip slabs attach to. And the guts are very different clockworks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Note the ejector rod on the SRH is housed in the longer frame and barrel to frame joint is ahead of that.
    On the RH the ejector rod is housed in a barrel shroud not the frame and the barrel to frame joint is behind that.

Now note Travelers exploded views, SRH has a post like grip area that slips into a one piece grip and RH has a steel loop that two grip slabs attach to. And the guts are very different clockworks.
    The most notable difference I noticed, in the drawing, was part 43 and associated pieces on the Redhawk, and yeah, the grips are considerable different. Now I get what you said earlier about the Redhawk having a "Colt/Smith" type frame.

So, if the Super Redhawk is like the GP100, which of those two designs is like the older Security Six? (The reason I ask, is I used to own a Security Six-wish I still did.)

I've always liked the RedHawk but never cared for the Super version. I have never had a problem with a Redhawk and I guess I grew old with one and never needed the new version, thus never gave it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I've always liked the RedHawk but never cared for the Super version. I have never had a problem with a Redhawk and I guess I grew old with one and never needed the new version, thus never gave it a chance.
    Same here. Gotta say this is the first handgun to come along in years that has me tempted. My carry gun is a 4" Magnaported 629 with Pachmeyer finger-groove type grips. But I've always had to load the Smiths to lower pressures than the RH. If Pachmeyer engineers a similar grip for this one to keep it from shifting in double-action fire, my wallet is going to get lighter. Probably get a visit to Magnaport, too. Don't care about the velocity loss from the short barrel or porting. It's all about performance in DA.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Same here. Gotta say this is the first handgun to come along in years that has me tempted. My carry gun is a 4" Magnaported 629 with Pachmeyer finger-groove type grips. But I've always had to load the Smiths to lower pressures than the RH. If Pachmeyer engineers a similar grip for this one to keep it from shifting in double-action fire, my wallet is going to get lighter. Probably get a visit to Magnaport, too. Don't care about the velocity loss from the short barrel or porting. It's all about performance in DA.

Same here, like the RH, don't care much for the SRH. have two 4" RH's. Love them. This new one looks real nice, and i might have to look into one... but i still have a Bisley in .45 Colt at the top of my list.

I like them both but if you lop off the extra front frame from the SRH and screw on a barrel from a RH (or better yet a Colt) and ya got something great!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I like them both but if you lop off the extra front frame from the SRH and screw on a barrel from a RH (or better yet a Colt) and ya got something great!
    Yup, like Bowens conversion. Man for one of these in a 500L Aren't you doing these for your own self?

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/cata...nversions.html

Yea 5 shot 500JRH SRH conversions, I have all the tooling and diner guns but never any time to do the work yet. I'll get there sooner or later. Any word on your 50 cal build?

and that there is as good as wheel guns get.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The most notable difference I noticed, in the drawing, was part 43 and associated pieces on the Redhawk, and yeah, the grips are considerable different. Now I get what you said earlier about the Redhawk having a "Colt/Smith" type frame.

So, if the Super Redhawk is like the GP100, which of those two designs is like the older Security Six? (The reason I ask, is I used to own a Security Six-wish I still did.)
    If you ever shoot a bear with that 32 S&W Long, or whatever it is, you better HOPE he doesn't find out about it.

Such disrespect would make most of them MAD.

BUT, time to limber up the Ole 44 Hand Cannons, men. The bears are ready to rumble. Already, I hear of one attacking a lady on the trail.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The beauty of the SRH, (if there is any beauty in the SRH) is the weight.

I fired my B-I-L's 44 Mag. SRH, hawk with the Long Barrel, and it recoiled about like my Single Six 22 LR.

You could club a bear to death with a SRH like that, if he's just hold still.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    If you ever shoot a bear with that 32 S&W Long, or whatever it is, you better HOPE he doesn't find out about it.

Such disrespect would make most of them MAD.

BUT, time to limber up the Ole 44 Hand Cannons, men. The bears are ready to rumble. Already, I hear of one attacking a lady on the trail.

Smitty of the North
    I'm not sure what brought on that response. I was talking about comparing the older Security Six to the newer GP/SP100, and the two Redhawks. I suspect you are referring to my Dad's old 32-20 when you say "32 S&W Long...", which I haven't mentioned in this discussion. I don't carry that gun for bears, and I wouldn't use that gun on a bear (unless he was on top of me and I had nothing else). I have a 30-30 or 44 lever gun for that, and also usually carry bear spay as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast