Thread: That Is It!

Default That Is It!

I'm totally giving up on a bear. I've put my time in, done my homework, tried the calls (calf, cub and rabbit) with ZERO results. A few nice tracks and that's it. YOU BEAR HUNTERS ARE NUTS... and I say that in the most respectful and jealous way. I went up to some lake by Knik glacier yesterday and saw ONE pile of scat and that was it... last year there were so many bears around there you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting 20 of them... *sigh*
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

You say that now but.............................

You'll be back!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Talking Dont feel bad.........

After 3 years of doing the same things you are doing and coming up empty,I got lucky.I shot 2 bears in consecutive weekends.Both very nice,actually had one of them "rugged" out and he is a beauty.

It seems the harder you hunt them,you unluckier you get.Just went you least expect it,you stumble in some luck.Keep your jead up and dont get too frustrated yet.

Glass mountain sides - Its what I do...You'll quickly learn where they frequent and can at least get into some heavy sign...When your not hunting over bait, and not hunting the beaches, its really kind of luck of the draw and just getting out there a lot...

Mark

I hunt bears every spring, and haven't shot one in years. Some years I don't see any, and some years (like this one) I see several that just don't fit my bill.

After a long winter, spring bear hunting is just a great excuse to get out and waste fuel and dog food.

It may be frustrating but just think about the smile that is going to be on your face when you do get one.

Default bears

I've went 4 straight years and took the bear of my choice after seeing 15-35 bears a day for 1 days all four years. I didn't go this year, because of funding (Taxidermists took all my money
    I'm going to start bow hunting them it's gotten so easy. Must be looking in the wrong places.
    My bear last year squared 6'6" and I have a nice rug that just came in a week ago I havn't got around to haning on the wall yet.
    Justin

Don't give it. Try new area, go with someone with allot of experince in bear hunting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I actually said the same thing...

...but after two years of spending a ton of money on gas and a a ton of miles and time, I decided I couldn't just give up and I finally connected on a couple of nice bears last year--including a great bow kill.
    I couldn't care less if I ever shoot one again! I set out to finally get the monkey off my back and it payed off.

Stay with it, you'll be forever irked that you didn't score on one if you don't--believe me. Get out there and hunt hard and be patient. You'll be rewarded, Robb.

Frank

Default Its in your blood!

Come on man...you can't quit! Dont forget the real reason why you like hunting bears (or anything else for that matter) ITS EXCITING! Last year I encountered 13 bears in the woods. (6 at my bait station; 4 at Russian River; and the other 3 just by chance during moose season) The bait station bears I expected. The Russian River Bears I expected too....but the other 3 bears I encountered by chance.... just walking around during moose season! Those were the fun ones because they just pop up on you! All three of those bears were Grizzers and one was huge!

This year I have been getting heavy action at my bait station and I have not yet seen a bear! Go figure!

Good Luck!

Daren

Default Thanks Guys

Encouraging words are appreciated and I might give it another try. You guys are top shelf for clearing up the noggin and remembering why I wanted to go in the first place. The body count isn't a priority but it would be nice to at least see something that I can "pass up". Thanks again guys.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default No quitting

Last time I was bear hunting PWS we saw lots of bears but none big enough so we never pulled a trigger. I have come home empty handed many times and still considered it a successful trip. If you really want to get frustrated put on a back pack and spot and stalk hunt interior griz, walk in from the road some where in the interior. It will get you in shape for sheep hunting. You will get your bear. Suck it up and go have fun.

I have spent almost 20 hours in the boat this spring and used close to 200 gallons of gas. My son and I have sat on separate baits 3 evenings and together one time. The coolest thing we have seen is a flying squirrel 6' away. The last time I spent over 6 hours in a climbing stand and saw only mosquitos. I guess if I wanted it easy I would do all my shopping at Fred Meyers. To top it all off, this is not the first year it has been slow. And my son, who has yet to take his first bear, just won't quit either. That boy has more get up and go than a good lab. Hmm, wonder how I get him to mow the lawn? Come on, you can't quit, but if you do, you have to give us the address for the garage sale.

This may be salt in the wound....but after seeing no bears in what is usually a hot area for me for the last month....I saw 4 tonight within 10 minutes of eachother....Two good shooters as well...I've just been putting lots of time in...and sometimes thats what it takes....

Default Idea

Sounds like you need to bring a dead cat with you...