Thread: Camping lower knight

Default Camping lower knight

I'm planning on taking several guys from work on a fishing trip for a weekend in June down towards the south end of Knight Island/Montague area and was wondering if anyone knew of some good beaches to camp on. Anything down that way would be great. I know a lot of it is native land but whAt are the rules for camping there?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

While not Knight Island, last summer we spent a few nights in Iktua Bay in Wales Passage. We slept on the boat and it looks like that area is Native land. Here's a map I found that shows land ownership in the sound:
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/a...y_brochure.pdf

Looks like quite a bit of Southern Knight is Federal land. A copy of the Lethcoe PWS cruising guide should give you all the info you need on the anchorages in that area.

I didn't have much luck finding what the requirements are to camp on Native lands on the net, I believe a permit is required but that would probably require a call to Chenega Corp to see how to aquire one.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have found the Lethcoe PWS cruising guide a little sketchy on land ownership. It mentions when a whole area is native land, but when its mixed it kind of glosses over it, but still a good resource.

Its a little run but I remember seeing some guys camped in Bambridge passage about halfway down.. there is a big open area right after the bottleneck... and there were a couple of tents.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have tent camped in Squirrel Bay in POW passage and find it to be a nice place adjacent to good fishing. Very easy approach with soft sand bottom.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't had a chance to dig they that part of the cruising guide but will this weekend. Google earth shows done decent spots too. Just looking to pitch a couple tents for the night and fish the weekend
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Snug Harbor has good beaches and is well protected .