Thread: JBER Bull Moose

Default JBER Bull Moose

Anyone do this archery only hunt? I am looking to see what protocol is. I have unrestricted access and am wondering if preseason scouting is something I could do or even worth it. I know some of these hunts your told what areas to exclusively hunt. I have seen some nice bulls while doing utility walk out as well as the other side of the fence in Eagle River area.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I would do a search on the forum here for your hunt number (i.e. DM424, DM427, etc...). There is a lot of information already available from past years and I believe people have even posted scanned copies of the hunt area maps. There are specific hunt areas that you are allowed to hunt, but those may or may not be open at the time you want to or get to hunt depending on the training exercises they are doing at the time.

Did you draw one of these hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would do a search on the forum here for your hunt number (i.e. DM424, DM427, etc...). There is a lot of information already available from past years and I believe people have even posted scanned copies of the hunt area maps. There are specific hunt areas that you are allowed to hunt, but those may or may not be open at the time you want to or get to hunt depending on the training exercises they are doing at the time.
    Thanks will do as I did draw DM424 and looks like it covers a huge area.

Congrats on the draw. I drew a few years back and the wildlife folks on base were a huge help. Training closures can be a bit hard to predict sometimes. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I have had this hunt several times. As mentioned, "subareas" are very specific, and closures occur frequently. I personally don't see much value to pre-season "scouting", as the moose patterns change a lot as the season progresses. However, if you are unfamiliar with the various areas, it would be worth your while to learn the access and boundary areas in advance. I'm not sure what you mean by "unrestricted access", but to do any activity in these areas, make sure you have an iSportsman pass and sign in/out each time you enter/leave. Recreational access is monitored, and you can get "jacked up" unless you are carrying your pass and have signed in -- even if you are just out for a leisurely stroll. Besides being used as a "head count" for usage, this procedure is also in place to make sure you don't inadvertently enter a closed area (such as live-fire convoy training). The folks in the Wildlife Office (in the wildlife museum log cabin) on the Elmendorf side can help you with any questions you may have. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I work on base and have a pass. I measure frequency leakage and strength from various electronic devices and cables around base. I find and fix these issues where ever they may be, Field, Office,Barracks and so forth. When I enter base, I am asked where I will be working to avoid closed or other sensitive areas that an event or ? is taking place. I check in and out of buildings.
    I will however get the iSportsmans pass as I wish to check out the various areas and so forth after work to get familiar

My wife and I have each had the DM428 tag three years apart. The best thing I did when I had it was finding a guy that had the tag a few years earlier and going out scouting with him over a weekend about three weeks before the hunt. And then I went out on my own to look around further every chance I had after that. It is a great hunt and there are some decent bulls. Good luck!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page