Thread: Water in fuel? Good lake in anchorage to do some test runs?

Default Water in fuel? Good lake in anchorage to do some test runs?

Just wondering if there is a boat friendly lake in anchorage where I could drop my hewes craft to do some testing. I dont want to haul it all the way to the valley just to find out I have an issue and haul it back.

I think I have water in the fuel. I just installed a racor on my hewes with 50 hp yamaha 4 stroke and took the boat down to the deshka today. It came out of the gate great but then bogged down on my about 3/4 of the way down there. I had to lay off the throttle and coast down a bit. It seemed to clean up after about 5-10 minutes and I ran the rest of the way into the mouth. I fished for a bit and then went to head back up stream and the same thing happened. It came out great ran a little less than on the way down and bogged down again. Had to lay off the throttle to the point we were barely moving. After the motor sounding choppy and nasty for about 5-10 minutes it cleared up again and ran another mile or so then did the same thing again. I drained the bowl 2 times on the way up and it looked like it was water the best I could tell.

What else could it be? If the carbs were cruddy I would think it would run bad all the time, not great for 10 minutes then bad. Any input is appreciated.

--I also just had the motor serviced by J. kimberly. He said I had water in the old gas which I drained but may have not gotten it all out.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

could it potentially by the fuel filter not letting enough gas through to the motor? The priming ball seemed like it had gas in it during the issue but it was hard to tell if there was more play in it than normal. Maybe its sucking air? Just spit balling.

I wouldn't think the filter is the issue. You said you observed water in the bowl so I would say that is the issue. The symptoms sound like it too. Is there any way you can pump the remaining fuel out of the tank and run ith through a mister filter or Chamois cloth? Adding a bunch of iso heat will help also. If you can get the fuel out I would still add a cuple bottles of Isoheat because you will have residual. Is your Racor a filter/seperator or just a filter? Could also add a seperator. I run the combo and keep extras with me.
    I would take it down to the Anchorage small boat harbour and run it while still on the trailer. I don't know of any boat friendly lakes in Anchorage.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I just drained all the gas a few weeks ago and refilled with fresh stuff yesterday. I may not have gotten everything out since its a belly tank and I had to siphon it out but I pulled over 20 gallons on a 25 gallon tank.

The racor is a filter/separator. I went and picked up a bottle of ISO heet today and dumped it in there. I plan on messing it with it more tomorrow Im just trying to get my head wrapped around what it could possibly be. I cant tell how much water is in the bowl but the fluid in there definitely looks clear when it comes out. I can't see a tint to it that would indicate the presence of gas just mostly what I guess would be water coming out of the bowl but Im not positive. I was reading air in the line can cause problems too but I would think that would cause a shut down all together and not just some choppy cruddy motor performance for a few minutes.

Gas is clear, just like water. You will see it in the bottom of the bowl. Air could do it because your fuel pump is losing prime. The next time it does it, squeeze the bulb and see if it starts running better. It's most likely a diaphram pump since I havent seen electric pumps on outboards, but it's been awhile since I played with them.

If you have a feeling it is the Racor, test it with it unhooked. Go buy a barbed double male fitting to hook up the lines. That will eliminate questioning that and it's easy.

Don't be shy with the Isoheat either. If your tank is near empty you can put a couple bottles in and take it for a drive to swish it around then fill with fresh fuel. I have had issues with pumping fresh fuel with plenty of water in it too. Some guys will only pump gas through a mister funnel to try and catch it.

http://www.moyermarine.com/shutdowns.htm

You may have read this in your search but in case you havent it is pretty good in regards to possible air leaks.

Sounds like water. Even though you pumped 20 of gallons out of your tank, its the last gallon that really counts as the water is heavier and sits on bottom. In fact, its the last couple ounces that you needed to remove. Just siphoning off the top 20 gallons probably didn't do a thing if you had water laying in the bottom of the tank.
    I would grab 2-3 bottles of SeaFoam and dump them in w/about 10 gallons of fresh gas. Run the heck out of it and you should be fine unless you have a stupid amount of water in the tank for some reason.
    Keep a couple bottles of SeaFoam in the boat from now, that stuff is amazing and works instantly. I wouldn't bother with Isoheat as Seafoam is a much better product in my opinion.
    When you purge your filter, dump it into a clear container and allow it to sit for a few minutes to inspect it and determine how much water the filter captured. (I'd also pack a spare filter in your boat tool box in the future)
    BK

I got a bad batch of gas once in the tank for my kicker, doesn't take much water to put out the fire in an engine But as mentioned it could be an air leak. If squeezing the primer bulb brings the engine back to life, then look at the fuel system for a possible small air leak which is causing you to loose prime.

You can run up to 50 hp in lower fire lake in Eagle River. I think there is a lake in Anchorage that is also good up to 50 hp but I forget which one.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Ok sounds like some of my suspicions may be correct. I've got a full bottle of sea foam in there and a full bottle of ISO heet as well. I know of a an area where I have a possible air leak the connection where my priming bulb is was kind of loose but didn't seem to be that bad but I will re-check it. Im going to bring a plastic container and check it out. Ill have to run down to AMDS and get another filter to bring with me.

If I remember correctly isn't the boat launch at fire lake just on a steep dirt hill or is there another one I dont know about?

Correct, the "launch" is on the South end of the lake just past the outflow of the lake.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

run it off a separate tank of gas and see what happens. Make sure all the fittings on the racor are tight and not sucking air.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

20140521_114227.jpg

This is what the gas looked like. I tilted the boat to where I think the outlet is (I honestly can't remember what side of the tank the fuel hose is) and primed about 2 jars full of this stuff. I believe that stuff on the bottom is water? Not sure since its tinted, wouldnt be the ISO heet or sea foam would it?

I fired it up after getting the bowl looking like pure gas and the idle was nasty at first and then seemed to clean up. Hopefully thats what the problem is. Next step I guess is to go run it and make sure its all out.

That is some nasty looking gas. I think you found your problem. Thats water and gunk. Yellowing is indicative of old gas that is starting to varnish and gum up. Keep an extra filter with ya because it could take a couple tanks to get it all out. I like to empty the tank the best I can and use the Isoheat to clean it some.

Pull a fresh sample, put it in a jar overnight. Then take a pic.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    20140521_114227.jpg

This is what the gas looked like. I tilted the boat to where I think the outlet is (I honestly can't remember what side of the tank the fuel hose is) and primed about 2 jars full of this stuff. I believe that stuff on the bottom is water? Not sure since its tinted, wouldnt be the ISO heet or sea foam would it?
    The stuff on the bottom is water. It is probably now mixed with alcohol (ISO heet) which is a pretty corrosive mixture. I wouldn't run the engine until you figure out a way to get it all out of the tank and fuel system. And, I'd do that sooner rather than later.