Thread: How old to count as a limit

Default How old to count as a limit

I know this has been discussed before but can't find it. Now that I have two of my own up and coming outdoors girls I have looked and can't find anything either on the F&G Web site or the reg book about an age limit of when you can start counting your kids limit of fish. I know they have to catch their own fish or at least hold the rod but will need help for several years even if they are holding their own rods. So is there an age limit on counting for a limit of halibut?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Dont be shy, call your local State Trooper Fish and Game Officer, or ask a Trooper, and let us know. They really would prefer to answer these types of questions over the phone as to citing you in the field. It's Good to hear that you're teaching your children about the outdoors and concerned about setting a good example.

if they hook the fish any one with a licence can bring it in the way I was told , an not sure about the licence to help bring it in , but F&G can give you the answer

I would definitely agree with the others about just calling ADF&G to confirm, but I think it is pretty much a case of if they can hook it, they can count it. I was limiting out on silvers on the Little Su when I was 3-4 years old (no idea how my parents handled 3 of us kids tangling up lines, getting snagged, etc...).

When you do get an answer, I'm sure other would be interested to hear it.

I thought that their limit went on your limit. If they have their own license then it could go on theirs. I did NOT check tho.

As far as I know, there is no age limit and they don't require a license under 16. Limits for kids is the same as adults. They should have a harvest card (I don't think thats the correct term) where you list what they caught.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As far as I know, there is no age limit and they don't require a license under 16. Limits for kids is the same as adults. They should have a harvest card (I don't think thats the correct term) where you list what they caught.
    The harvest record card is only necessary if they are participating in a sport fishery that has an annual harvest limit such as some of the king salmon areas. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rtlicense.main

Age doesn't matter. If a two year old "sets the hook" on a fish, that's their fish and it will go against their limit. Once a child sets the hook, you may aid them reeling it in if you have a license. No matter how young they are, it goes against their limit and it never goes towards yours. If you "set the hook" and let them reel it in, it's your fish since you set the hook. As far as Harvest Record Cards, any fish with an annual limit will need to be recorded on the card for children 15 yrs and younger. This would include king salmon, except in PWS and North Gulf Coast where there is no annual limit. It also includes rainbow trout/steelhead 20" or longer and all species of sharks except spiny dogfish.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

right on FISHGOD you got it right SID

We use the "that is your rod" rule on the boat when trolling with downriggers... fish one, they go pull it out of the holder and then I help a bit... Halibut fishing, they hookem I help em. We seldom have enough fish to worry about limits other than Silvers...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

When our granddaughter was younger (she's 14 now) we just left her rod in the rod holder until the hali was up and it was time to land it. She managed a 75 pounder that way when she was only 6. When it came to removing it from the holder and landing, my wife pulled the rod from the holder and nestled our granddaughter in front of her to keep hands on the rod and reel even as my wife took the weight. No sweat, and a whole lot of fun. Pretty quick that sharp little 6-year old claimed every rod in a rod holder!