Thread: FYI on the Funny River fire near PASX

Default FYI on the Funny River fire near PASX

All,

Looks like a good one going on there. It's a State DOF fire, and they are putting the Alaska Type 2 team on it. I currently have no affiliation with it, but wanted to give folks a heads up and spread the word, offical information will be run through a Public Information Officer through the State of AK and the fire.

What I wanted to pass on is that aviation resourcs will be used pretty heavily initially until they get a good handle on it. I haven't seen a TFR pop up yet, but anticipate one of significant size will be up at some point. I would anticipate heavy fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft in and around the fire, PASX and PAEN.

Hope this is useful to some.

Thanks

We have heavy smoke all the way down in Homer. It started rolling in last night.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Here she blows, this morning from homer to birch wood, this is tustumena lake, to the edge on north side
    "f/64 and be there"

"f/64 and be there"

Yup,

We got some good images of it as well. It looke like the Tyonek fire's TFR is up, looks like the Soldotna one (Funny River Fire) was just issued at 14:10. If I wasn't leaving to fly my new 150 up from WI, I'd either be on the ground or running the helibase. Oh well.

128.45 or 133.45 is the Air to Air freq's, but that will change once the Team takes over and requests their own freq's for the fire (both Air to Air and Ground Freq's). Just heads up for lots of metal in the air and keep 5-7+ nm away.

FTA (Fire Traffic Area) info here: http://gacc.nifc.gov/sacc/logistics/..._FINAL-2up.pdf

http://akfireinfo.com/2014/05/19/fun...-trail-fire-2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erratic fire behavior on Funny River Fire

MAY 20, 2014 BY ALASKA DIVISION OF FORESTRY COMMENTS OFF
    (Soldotna, AK) The fire was very active over night because of low humidity. It is estimated to be near 7,000 acres. It has reached Tustumena Lake and is spreading East and West along the shore. The fire is 10 miles long stretching from south of the Soldotna airport to the lake and about a mile wide but broadening at the lake shore.
    There have been no evacuations or a report of any structures lost.
    A Red Flag Warning until 10 p.m. is in place for high winds and a burn suspension remains in place for the Kenai Peninsula Borough.
    Early this morning, flame lengths of 125 feet with erratic fire behavior were reported. Winds for today are forecasted to remain out of the north keeping the fire headed in a southerly direction. Crews are working to build line on the western edge. It has burned into the area of the 2009 Shanta Creek Fire on the eastern side.
    There are 40 personnel assigned to the fire with more fire crews on their way. The Alaska Type 2 Incident Management Team has been assigned to the fire and will arrive on the scene Tuesday evening. They will establish their command post at the Skyview High School south of Soldotna.
    A Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is place over the fire.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

What are the driving conditions from Sterling to Homer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Little smoky...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I had fine ash falling at my house above Homer last night. Everything is so dry it really makes me worry.

Supporting Member

FUNNY RIVER FIRE: NOTAM
    Temporary Tower
    Effective 09:00, May 24, 2014 until further notice, a temporary Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) tower is in operation under a Class Delta at the Soldotna Airport, Alaska. This tower is staffed by FAA controllers who are directing all aviation traffic flying at or below 2,500 feet, within a 3 Mile radius of the Soldotna Airport.
    RADIO FREQUENCY: 118.2
    Temporary Flight Restriction
    Temporary Flight Restriction 4/1926 with 7,000 MSL ceiling over the affected Funny River fire area.

Supporting Member

I live at 14.5 Mile Funny River Rd. and I've got a lot smoke here at the house today....considerably more than in past days....

- By late Friday, the fire was estimated to encompass 96,584 acres, according to the Alaska Inter-agency Incident Management Team

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Supporting Member

Have fire bombers and air attack aircraft circling over my house/Funny River area continually for a couple of hours now. We've received the evacuation alert for Funny River Road from Mile 7 to the end, but no evac order yet. Smoke plume is closer now that was earlier. Winds about 5 to 10 out of south where I'm at, which is the "bad" direction for us. If any of y'all are of the persuation....some prayers for Funny River area would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by brhrdr View Post
    Have fire bombers and air attack aircraft circling over my house/Funny River area continually for a couple of hours now. We've received the evacuation alert for Funny River Road from Mile 7 to the end, but no evac order yet. Smoke plume is closer now that was earlier. Winds about 5 to 10 out of south where I'm at, which is the "bad" direction for us. If any of y'all are of the persuation....some prayers for Funny River area would be greatly appreciated.
    ​You certainly have mine. Keep your head down . . . . .

How are things this morning Bird Herder? I was thinking about how that fire likes to flare up at night...

It grew overnight to 123,649. 20% contained.

Blowing towards the mountains....

Good map here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Good map here:
    If you use the link I posted below (#14), then use the "zoom in" tool to draw a box around the area of interest, you can get a very detailed GIS map showing the most recent uploaded perimeter, including the MODIS infared layer depicting the greatest heat activity...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    How are things this morning Bird Herder? I was thinking about how that fire likes to flare up at night...
    Evacuated to a friend's house in Soldotna last night. All Funny River was evacuated. Was able to get all critters in my Suburban except the honeybees....they got left behind. No word yet on when the evac order will be lifted.