Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mausers

Default Mausers

What are the best Mausers to use to build from and what are the best ones to own and shoot as is if they are still in good shape? What are your likes and dislikes from one Mauser over another one?

Recent thread about a Mauser event in Homer: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?t=140544

Swedes took first and second.

Having built several sporting rifles based on '98 mauser actions, I'd say unless you just have to have a classic type sporting rifle it really doesn't make any sense to build rifle on one. Bare actions are running around $200, by the time you d/t for the scope mount, change the safety and change the trigger you're out more money than a used modern bolt action, and you have an action that is heavier, sloppier and with a slower firing pin fall. If you're using a cartridge other than a X57, you really need to replace the magazine for one sized for the round you use, and then you're out as much money or more than a brand new bolt action rifle.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

And don't forget cutting and welding a new bolt handle on. Best to use a commercial action, think commercial FN, that was originally chambered for a cartridge in the same family that you are looking to rebarrel to. That eliminates a ton of work. But like Paul said, in the end, it is a better thing just to buy a commercial hunting rifle of your choice.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I knew I was forgetting something, the bolt handle mod!

Even though the only work I had done by a smith on my mauser sporters was the barrel work, it still isn't time/cost effective to build a sporter on a 98 mauser IMHO.

Here's the 350 Rigby I built on a VZ-24

I ended up selling it after getting a Ruger all weather 350 rem mag. There is something to be said for technological advancements.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Personally, I'm a big fan of old school Mauser sporting rifles. I wouldn't be without at least one, but I don't try to justify it as being practical or cost efficient. If you're going to build one, the VZ-24 (Czech) is a good option. I've heard (and it sounds reasonable to me) that the Germans had quality control issues during both wars that made some of their actions less desirable. I don't know that from first hand experience. I do know that that the VZ-24 actions I've seen/used have all been acceptable. You can find lots of them on Gunbroker. Years ago actions that already had the bolt handle done by Kimber of Oregon were all over Gunbroker. You'd most likely still want to replace the safety, put a new trigger on it, and get rid of the locking screws & holes on the bottom. Unless you really just want to show off your Mauser sporter, Paul and Doug are right to advise finding a commercial action.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Good actions are the BRNO/VZ24 (large ring, 8x57 length), 1909 Argentine(large ring, 8x57 length), and M24/47 Yugo(intermediate action, but you can fit 30-06 in the magazine if the bullet isn't seated out too far). For lower pressure cartridges (6.5x55, 7x57, 257 Roberts), the Swedish M96 small ring actions are superb.

Tough to find a low price gun or action which is in good shape these days. Like others have recommended, do a little research and you should be able to find a commercial (FN, Parker Hale, etc) mauser for the same or cheaper price - and you won't have to weld the bolt or install a safety. Sears and JC Higgins had models that were mauser actions, but they glide under the radar on GunBroker or at pawn shops because the seller doesn't know what it is. You'll be ahead of the game buying one of these:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=417129761

Also, look for the Zastava or Reminton 798:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=417774109

There were also identical actions made by Santa Barbara (La Coruna) that are identical to a Zastava, Charles Daly or old Interarms MarkX action. I agree that it's not very cost effective any more, but it sure is fun and a great way to cut your teeth on building your own rifle. They don't come much simpler, or rugged as a good Mauser action. I have several Chilean actions and a Swede rifle.

I used to sell a lot of VZ24s to builders but they were $50 back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea what year and model this is? Other than the info on the pictures, it has A.Reich Darmstadt stamped on the stock. Any idea of value?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, It has Belgian proof marks, an FN (Fabrique Nationale) stamp, and was originally a 7x57 caliber. It is a '98 action of sorts, but to say a year? Who knows. Darmstadt is a town in Germany, and it appears to be German work, but that is just a guess. More, and more detailed photos may help, but there were many gunsmiths in Germany/Europe after the war that turned out sporters on 98 actions. Too bad it was 'jugged out" to 7 mag.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Too bad it was 'jugged out" to 7 mag.
    ^My first reaction. What a terrible thing to do to a fine 7x57.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'll be the third to agree on that.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The rifle looks like it is an old "guild" gun. There was actually a system where people still practicing to become master gunsmiths in Germany back in the 20s and forward until after WWII would do their best work on a (usually) military rifle, creating a proper sporting weapon. Usually they have claw type scope bases that would need the custom rings to fit them, and very often they are missing. The work ranges from mediocre to excellent. It was, more than likely, an FN actioned 98 that was remade by a German gunsmithing guild member in Darmstadt.
    I have always appreciated a good 98 action for customizing. The actions are only sloppy when they are open, but lock up tighter than a vault when closed. As to striking speed, a new spring can change that. I know that one of the most widely believed best German made 98 action is the 1909 Argentine model. I had a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved on that action, with its selective and superior heat-treating, with a Balvar 6 power scope and a John Buhmiller barrel, bought in shoddy shape at an estate sale. I cleaned it up, refinished the stock and bead-blasted the barreled action before putting a nice blued finished on it. It shot incredibly well, mostly due, I'm sure, to the Buhmiller barrel, hand cut rifling, as he did.
    As far as remaking a 98 action being less efficient and too expensive, so what? To have a beautifully made custom rifle, if you don't have to mortgage your house, is a wonderful thing. It can be a true one of a kind, or just a well-crafted typical sporter, but it's yours all the same.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    Personally, I'm a big fan of old school Mauser sporting rifles. I wouldn't be without at least one, but I don't try to justify it as being practical or cost efficient. If you're going to build one, the VZ-24 (Czech) is a good option. I've heard (and it sounds reasonable to me) that the Germans had quality control issues during both wars that made some of their actions less desirable. I don't know that from first hand experience. I do know that that the VZ-24 actions I've seen/used have all been acceptable. You can find lots of them on Gunbroker. Years ago actions that already had the bolt handle done by Kimber of Oregon were all over Gunbroker. You'd most likely still want to replace the safety, put a new trigger on it, and get rid of the locking screws & holes on the bottom. Unless you really just want to show off your Mauser sporter, Paul and Doug are right to advise finding a commercial action.
    I'm with you.

A rifle Build is not about what is the cheapest. It's about what you want, and if you want a Mauser, then it's about having a Mauser.

Commercial Mausers are originally chambered in all kinds of cartridges. BUT, there ain't nuthin wrong with a 7x57 either.

I had a Military Mauser Sporterized, and the whole 9 yards. You name it, and it was done.

Costwise, I'm sure it compared favorably with these so-called Custom Rifles that are the norm in todays age. I can't stand those Spendy, Painted, Skinny Plastic, stocks that have bout as much character as a roll of gift wrap paper.

I'm glad to hear someone talking MAUSER. It makes my day. Watta Blessing.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

When you consider how the 7X57 can be safely loaded in a sound model 98, NOT a model 93 or lesser action, then there's no loss there.

Slightly off subject: I have a Interarms MARK X with twin towers on the barrel, just in front of the receiver. What does this mean.....??? It is NOT a Whitworth but was built with 3-leaf express sights. It is .300 Win. Mag. if that matters.

Mauser? Well Mauser in the making.

20140913_171227_zps2b95d4e6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Slightly off subject: I have a Interarms MARK X with twin towers on the barrel, just in front of the receiver. What does this mean.....??? It is NOT a Whitworth but was built with 3-leaf express sights. It is .300 Win. Mag. if that matters.
    Twin towers?

What are those things on the corners of a castle. Are they called parapets......???
    Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Twin towers?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast