Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft-top up or down while trailering

Default Soft-top up or down while trailering

New Hewescraft sportsman, making runs to Seward or Homer, where we are going 80+ miles! would folks run with soft-top up or folded down. Thought the guy that did the rundown with me recommended folding down, but pain the ass, doesn't ride well folded up laying down or up against the windshield.

Every darn one I see going down the road has the top up--so any string feelings, experience, or just want to share?

Thanks,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

When I got the top done on our Kingfisher Buster told me either up or down, but don't have the top up with the sides removed or rolled up. I run with it up as we leave the top up most of the time.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I trailer mine "top up" and always have, still using the same top that came with my Wolly 10 years now.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Top stowed. Ten years later my top was still in pristine condition when I sold the jet boat.

BK

Top up on my 18' 2006 searunner. I called Hewes and they said ok up to 60mph. I see some going down the road that should have the top down.

I think that it depends on the slope of the front of the top. Mine is flat enough that it sheds wind pretty good.

Top down. Doesn't take that long to lower it, less wind drag, better gas mileage.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Top up never had any issues
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

20' Sportsman - I run Top Up and have had no issues. You will get additional "rubbing" where the plastic windows meet the frame, but I agree that it is a PITA to lower so I just run it. Make sure all the zippers are zipped, snaps snapped, and anchor points secured. I do 70 mph to Whittier, Homer, and Seward.

top up 8+ years, not a problem except for the zipper tabs break off after a while.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Treating it with regularly with Aerospace 303 will help keep it lasting longer than worrying about if its up or down while trailering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Top down; the wind pressure at 30 to 40 mph on the water is a lot different than the wind pressure at 60-70 mph on the highway. No need for more wear on the top.

We saw one on the way home last weekend that was ripped. It was blowing probably 30-40mph, so I think the wind speed combined with the vehicle speed did them in.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thanks gents.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I'm a top down guy. Especially now after this winter my top was damaged and is being replaced. The new top is going to set me back $2500. I'll spend the 15 minutes taking the top down vs risk the damage due to having it up at highway speeds.

I also take the top down, the only thing to be careful of doing/undoing often are the snaps. I gently put a screwdriver in between the two halves and twist to pry them apart. I had a few give out last year but Busters fixed me up quickly and cheaply.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

The main reason i leave my top up is the interior takes a beating when rains come and you hit contruction. Nice mud and fine silt all over the place. No thanks. Weldcraft listed the top as a towable top. Yea i know there is no such thing as a towable top. But it is holding up going on season 9
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

IMG_5281.jpgTop down I had a boot built for the cover. Canvas guy said all the way up or all the way down, and no Turnagain Arm when its windy with top up.
    If its up I drive slow and can feel it trailering, lots more drag, 20 ft Koffler Bay Bee.

I think tow speed is the issue. As stated "80 mph" is not easy on any top.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I used to go top up, but now its top down most of the time, unless Im headed to the local lake. I broke some fittings on my top doing the whole top up deal.

my .02
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Who did your canvas?
    Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    IMG_5281.jpgTop down I had a boot built for the cover. Canvas guy said all the way up or all the way down, and no Turnagain Arm when its windy with top up.
    If its up I drive slow and can feel it trailering, lots more drag, 20 ft Koffler Bay Bee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast