Thread: Raft Trailer Deck - Treated Plywood

Default Raft Trailer Deck - Treated Plywood

I've searched and read a few posts on the different type of treated plywood "marine vs. standard big box store stuff". My purpose for wanting treated plywood is for the top of a trailer deck to haul a urethane Sotar raft. Everyone suggest "marine plywood", but it is not easy to find.

If you walk into an Anchorage big box store and ask for marine plywood, you are directed to what I would call the normal construction treated plywood - the stuff that is sort of greenish. My question is has anyone used this type plywood for a raft trailer top and does this green treated plywood mare up a raft bottom or have chemicals that are bad for the boat fabric (urethane in my case).

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post
    I've searched and read a few posts on the different type of treated plywood "marine vs. standard big box store stuff". My purpose for wanting treated plywood is for the top of a trailer deck to haul a urethane Sotar raft. Everyone suggest "marine plywood", but it is not easy to find.

If you walk into an Anchorage big box store and ask for marine plywood, you are directed to what I would call the normal construction treated plywood - the stuff that is sort of greenish. My question is has anyone used this type plywood for a raft trailer top and does this green treated plywood mare up a raft bottom or have chemicals that are bad for the boat fabric (urethane in my case).
    Now that you mention it, I think that's exactly the stuff I have been calling "marine plywood". My apologies! And no, I have seen absolutely no negative effects from the stuff on my PVC boats. Be careful when you cut it; I have heard that the sawdust from it should not be inhaled; it's got some stuff in it that will make your lungs grow green toenails and hair. I think there is some stuff you can use to paint the cut edges too. Get some'o dat too!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike. You have been immeasurably kind and helpful with me on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Now that you mention it, I think that's exactly the stuff I have been calling "marine plywood". My apologies! And no, I have seen absolutely no negative effects from the stuff on my PVC boats. Be careful when you cut it; I have heard that the sawdust from it should not be inhaled; it's got some stuff in it that will make your lungs grow green toenails and hair. I think there is some stuff you can use to paint the cut edges too. Get some'o dat too!

-Mike
    I just cut some of this and it is wet. Hence, our standard circular saw blade just sat there and smoked, not new, but not dull. SBS has a blade for treated / wet wood.. Cut like butter!

Pressure treated wood is treated with Chromated copper arsenate... Arsenic. It protects wood from rotting due to insects and microbial agents. Pressure treated wood is not designed to keep wood from rotting due to moisture. Straight from Google!
    Its also important not to enhale the saw dust or if burning, the smoke. Advised against burning at all.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
    I just cut some of this and it is wet. Hence, our standard circular saw blade just sat there and smoked, not new, but not dull. SBS has a blade for treated / wet wood.. Cut like butter!
    Yes, when I looked at the treated plywood today it had a moist feel just like fresh treated lumber. This leads me to wonder how some of the additional paints/stain/oil treatments suggested are going to dry.

I just redid my trailer surface with treated 3/4" plywood. I agree, felt moist but paint dried nicely. I didn't treat the bottom surface though, so ventilation could work properly. Was a bit timid to treat both sides for that reason, and GREER welding agreed that most people they do trailers for don't paint the bottom surface. My surface is dry and usable after a few days.

Pressure treated wood will eat fasteners and the steel of trailers, so you should isolate the PT wood from the trailer with a membrane and use SS or hot dipped galvanized fasteners

They make a ceramic coated fastener that is sipposed to stand up to the cca too. Gotta make sure you use hot dipped galvanized if you go that route and not electroplate galvanized.