Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: What really goes on in a Shimp pot

  1. #1
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    802

    Default What really goes on in a Shimp pot

    Bear with me. Here is a you tube link to an underwater video of a couple weeks ago of one of my shrimp pots I dropped in Prince William Sound.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0L...ature=youtu.be

    At around 6:50 you can see a tanner crab moving by
    At around 8:20 you can see how a shrimp enters your pot

    I am working on the lighting for the next video and there is a secondary light off to the right that is not as bright. Seems some shrimp like the light, some do not. Also how much other action there is.

  2. #2

    Default

    That's pretty cool...I'll be watching for your future videos. Thanks for posting!!

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Awesome video....something many of us have been wanting to see.
    Look forward to your next video.

    Amazing how much action there is, especially the lil stuff cruising around. Sure doesn't take long for them to accumulate in the pot.
    Soooo, how deep is this and what kind of camera?
    BK

  4. #4
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Around 350'. It is a GoPro with a special housing from Group B Inc. Hardest part was finding a light that can supposedly go that deep. Using Ladner pots from Donalson's.

  5. #5
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,403

    Default

    Nice job. Now I understand the social life of shrimp better.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  6. #6
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Wow, really cool. It would be neat to see a little wider field of view, something that shows the entire pot. Don't know if that camera has that capability but it would sure be cool to have the whole pot illuminated. Really look forward to your next one. Thanks!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  7. #7
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    Way cool always wondered what was going on down there !
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

  8. #8
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Sweet video. There are some youtube videos down south that shouw shrimp and crab pots. Lot shallower water and very light so you can see stuff that goes by the pot. There is even a seal that pops in to check things out.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

  9. #9

    Default

    Cool vid, thanks for sharing.
    Why do you use that kind of bait jar? Seems like the kind with lots of holes would do better.

  10. #10
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Bear with me. Here is a you tube link to an underwater video of a couple weeks ago of one of my shrimp pots I dropped in Prince William Sound.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0L...ature=youtu.be

    At around 6:50 you can see a tanner crab moving by
    At around 8:20 you can see how a shrimp enters your pot

    I am working on the lighting for the next video and there is a secondary light off to the right that is not as bright. Seems some shrimp like the light, some do not. Also how much other action there is.
    Bring your camera and lights over and i'll build you a pot to go around them !! All i want is copies of the vids !!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  11. #11
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Cool vid, thanks for sharing.
    Why do you use that kind of bait jar? Seems like the kind with lots of holes would do better.
    Sand fleas is a big reason for smaller holes. They will empty your can quick with large holes
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

  12. #12
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Going to try again this weekend for some more video. Here is a link to another one on You Tube. This was the first try. The light went out but it show you how long it takes to get to the bottom and how soon Shrimp get in. Turn your volume up to hear it hit the bottom at 6:00.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNiBerWe49Y

  13. #13
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Going to try again this weekend for some more video. Here is a link to another one on You Tube. This was the first try. The light went out but it show you how long it takes to get to the bottom and how soon Shrimp get in. Turn your volume up to hear it hit the bottom at 6:00.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNiBerWe49Y
    does the vid go black at about 7:00 ??

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    does the vid go black at about 7:00 ??

    Likely that is when the light went out.

  15. #15

    Default

    Cool videos. How about glow sticks as light sources?

  16. #16
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Likely that is when the light went out.
    didn't know if it was my computer or the vid itself, didn't want to miss any of the action !!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    didn't know if it was my computer or the vid itself, didn't want to miss any of the action !!
    I should have added that the video went dark for me at the same time.

  18. #18

    Default

    Polardds, I don't know if these lights would be intense enough to be of benefit, but then, you are lighting a fairly small area. They're built to go deep.

  19. #19
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I am going to try a few different things this weekend. See what works best. Will let you all know!

  20. #20
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Bring your camera and lights over and i'll build you a pot to go around them !! All i want is copies of the vids !!
    You should take him up on his offer Polardds. Could probably build one that was domed on top and the right height to get the field of view of the whole pot. Then hang a bunch of lights in it and watch the action.


    I am looking up group B right now... I so want to drop my go pro in a pot as well...... well after looking at them, I will leave the shrimp videos to you.. $300 for the housing on sale is a bit much for me.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •