Thread: Evinrude Etec with Hewescraft is lacking rpm's

Default Evinrude Etec with Hewescraft is lacking rpm's

I am currently running a 22' hewescraft searunner HT with a 115 Hp Evinrude Etec. WOT is only at 5200 rpms. I should be getting 5700-6000 from the mfg specs. The current prop is a 15 x 15. I want to be able to run more rpms for better efficiency. Each step in pitch will get me 200-300 rpms difference. Should I adjust the pitch or the diameter or both? Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could try a smaller prop. I would go down 2in pitch, or take it to the Yamaha shop for a trade in

22' with a 115 is a bit of a strain. I'm guessing they propped it that way because perhaps a smaller prop was struggling to get it on plane with a load?

Try mounting your motor one hole higher on the transom. I did that with both my 115's and I feel it runs a bit better and let me get away with 17 pitch pretty good. Mine is now mounted in the second hole from the top if that makes sense.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Lookup ken at Prop Gods. Give him a call. Time we'll spent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Try mounting your motor one hole higher on the transom. I did that with both my 115's and I feel it runs a bit better and let me get away with 17 pitch pretty good. Mine is now mounted in the second hole from the top if that makes sense.
    I agree, get your mount right first then if need be deal with the prop pitch.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Thanks for responses. I will check the motor height first then see if I can get the current prop to run strong. I don't want to step down in pitch if I don't have to.

So how low are you guys running your motor's? Ie how far below the very bottom of your boat does your cavitation plat sit (the bottom plate)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    So how low are you guys running your motor's? Ie how far below the very bottom of your boat does your cavitation plat sit (the bottom plate)?
    Most dealers mount as low as it will go. You wan the cavitation plate at or 1" above the bottom. When you are on step you should be able to see the cavitation plate at or slightly above the water line.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Excav8tr, Where is he located or how do I get a ahold of him? Thx.

Mine is right at the very bottom of the boat. I think that I will leave it alone and maybe reprop. I had re-propped mine so that I was right between 5900 and 6000 (90hp) and then I put a hydrofoil on it and lost 200 rpm. What shop in anchorage will let us trade in a used prop against a new one?

My boat is a bit under powered when loaded (okay - overloaded) and I would like to push more than 31mph at WFO. It would be really good with a 115 on it. It is an 18' Searunner softop. Max HP is 150 but I feel for saltwater that would be a bit too much weight - but I bet she'd giddyup!

Quote Originally Posted by mwidaman View Post
    Excav8tr, Where is he located or how do I get a ahold of him? Thx.
    http://www.propgods.com/Content2/Default.aspx

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Using the same Prop Mfg'r , drop to a 13" pitch and you will pick up about 400RPMS.
    Max HP rating on your boat is 225HP [ http://www.hewescraft.com/files/2713...-SeaRunner.pdf ] to bad you couldn't have gotten a little closer to it.

The closet option is a 15.5 diameter by a 13 pitch. I was hoping for a 15 x 13 but had to step up in diameter in order to get a smaller pitch. If I went with a 14" diameter the pitches were 17 and higher. This was not my goal as to try and obtain a higher rpm for a maximum wot. Does this seem logical for my situation? Other that getting a larger motor!