Thread: Alaska Wildlife Rugs and Taxidermy can repair your damaged mounts :)

Default Alaska Wildlife Rugs and Taxidermy can repair your damaged mounts :)

I apologize in advance to anyone who thinks I should be posting this in the Taxidermy section. I can't post services I offer there, as I am not a forum sponsor of that section and I don't think the forum sponsor there would be too happy with me, if I did. LOL! As sponsors we do pay a fair amount to 'advertise'. So, you will just have to 'bear' with me. hahaha pun intended.

At any rate, how many of you have seen mounts that were damaged by pets, kids, accidents, neglect, or overall age of the mount?

I have repaired and reconditioned many mounts - broken ears, chewed on feet, broken legs, etc etc. Many mounts that have been damaged can be restored, sometimes they can't, and sometimes it is just better to do a remount or re-felt (esp if the mount is very old or very poor quality).

here is an example of a bear rug I repaired a while ago whose nose was handily chewed off by a dog. Yikes. I mean to tell you, when I first looked at it, I thought oh boy, this is going to be a fun challenge! (It was )

Please note, however...THIS RUG WAS NOT ORIGINALLY MOUNTED BY ME. IT IS NOT MY WORK! I would NEVER let a mount leave my shop looking like this one. EVER. I was happy to give him a nose job and a correct paint job however (in this case the nose had to be replaced with an artificial nose).

Oh, and a word of advice - PLEASE DO NOT SCARE or TEASE your pets with your new mount! And if you have young dogs - PLEASE do NOT leave them UNATTENDED in a room with taxidermy (better yet, any dog who might have anxiety or such type behaviors). Or you might end up with the same or similar problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Very nice Juli. I'm sure your customer was rather pleased with your results too.
    BK

Default rejuvenating an older mount?

Excellent topic. I was actually going to pick your (and others) brain on a topic almost the same as this. I have a question about older mounts. I have one that is over 20 years old now. Its been taken good care of, without kidlin's petting him or giving him a haircut or feeding him a peanut butter sandwich (like one of my kids fed the toaster once - seriously).

Its a full frontal mount of a bison; everything from the bellybutton up. The mount is the size of a small bed with its diorama of the big bull stepping over a bleached skull (his own btw). Its a very professional mount done by a guy that is first class; a real pro that has done many bison over the years. So, the condition of mine:

- dust. I've fluffed dust out of it before. never used compressed air or any helper; didn't want to hurt it.
    - flattened fro. Large bulls have huge fros. My bull's fur is pressed down (the opposite of fluffed up).
    - 100% of prarie grass is gone; it was dead grasses sticking up out of the base which is a mixture of potting soil and glue. House cats loved curling up in those weeds until there were no weeds left.
    - bleached skull getting very brittle. Haven't lost any pieces of it but they're loose.
    - open mouth. Doubtless this was hard to create and will offer its own challenges to clean.

I've looked online but can find pitifully little advice. And none that I trust with my mount.

No visible damage to teeth, mouth, eyelashes, etc... It just looks ancient (and it kinda is).

I hear what you say about pets & mounts. I had never seen my house cat afraid before this mount was delivered; he was so tough he even held his ground and stared down two charging rottweilers once; it was amazing. Anyway the second the buffalo came through the front door, the cat starts literally bouncing off the walls & ends up down the hall cowering in a bedroom where he would not leave for weeks. Pretty funny. He got over it to he point where he started to like napping up in the fro, until enough smacks from his owner convinced him it was not a peaceful place to nap.

Family Man - I can totally see the toaster full of peanut butter - just trying to make sure that peanut butter was warmed up with the bread, right? LOL!!!

Cats are another culprit when it comes to damaging mounts - for some reason, some of them like to use rugs as toilets..It is a sad thing to take apart a bear rug and tell someone it is unrepairable because the acid from the cat urine ate ruined the leather...not to mention the smell!
    Cleaning up a mount that is part of a diorama is a bit of a challenge..Best done by removing the mount from the base, before cleaning. If you can't or don't want to you may end up having to have someone mail you up some new habitat materials to replace ones that get damaged in cleaning - the grasses and such. Which it sounds like you need to do, anyway

As for cleaning the buffalo, I would start at a spot on the mount that is 'safe' - that is not easily seen - and take a slicker brush (like used on dogs - lots of short wire bristles) and start back brushing it. Gently first to see if the skin/hair will hold up to the combing. Once you've determined the stability of the skin/hair you can move to other less seen parts - back brushing to remove dust and such. Then you can brush the topknot - part it with your hand and put the brush as close to the skull as you can - gently comb it out, moving from section to section. Then you can take an air compressor and blow it out. A coat of lemon pledge before brushing will aid in dust removal.

Over time - especially 20 yrs - the paint and finish work on any mount is going to dull. The best way to revitalize is to repaint. And that is best done by a taxidermist. In your case, you would have to get the taxidermist to your house or the location of the mount. At least that would be the easiest solution.

A very soft artists paint brush can be used to clean out the mouth - first blow it out, then dampen the paint brush in a bit of water with a very small amount of dish soap, to remove residual dirt and dust. sometimes a soft toothbrush will work too. The key is in starting slowly and gently, so as not to scratch the paint.

unfortunately your skull was probably boiled, if it is brittle - dermestid beetles are the way to go. those loose bones can be super-glued together, depending on how loose they are and how careful you are with super glue - I like to use gel type - apply with a T pin, so that the amount you have is very small and easy to control. Have some fingernail polish remover handy to remove any glue from areas you don't want it. LOL...

How does that sound for a half day's project?

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I will confess...I have teased a cat with my bear rug. I was over at a friends place as they wanted to check out the rug. Well their cat seemed quite interested and acted defensive of it's territory when the bear arrived. The owner picked up the cat, I picked up the front of the rug and made growling sounds...the cat started clawing the back of it's own head and had to be released immediately, I don't think I've ever seen an animal run so fast in one place before it could get enough traction to leave the area...never reappeared for the rest of my visit.
    "Grin and Bear It"