Thread: Thoughts on Ugly Stik Tiger Lite jigging rods

Default Thoughts on Ugly Stik Tiger Lite jigging rods

I'm thinking of picking up an Ugly Stick Tiger Lite Jigging Rod. What's your thoughts on this? I'm considering using the spinning version with my Shimano Spheros 6000 reel. At 305 yards capacity and 27lbs of drag that it should be sufficient for lings, rockfish, and shallow halibut.

Ugly Stik's are a great value in fishing rods. I have one Tiger and I like it. They are tough as nails. There are better rods but not for the money.

The Tiger Lite jigging rods are tough as nails and really hard to beat the price. I have a couple in different strengths, and the 100-200# x-heavy jigging rod is the lightest, most powerful rod that I've owned - that rod with the right reel & line can drag just about anything from the bottom.

So far, TSA has not managed to damage them, unlike some of my more expensive toys.

Great value for the money. I haven't handled any spin version, so no clue there. I like a little more spine in my jig rods, especially toward the tip, but you kinda have to go up the price scale (double it, actually) to get the spine I prefer. On a tight budget, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Ugly instead.

Best rod I've ever used for columbia river sturgeon! I've caught multiple 6-9 footers on the tiger lite with no problems. The sensitive tip is perfect for the subtle take of a sturgeon. I've caught some nice halibut on them too, at least until a slight mishap took the only one I moved up to Alaska to the bottom of the ocean, but that's a whole nother story...
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    The Tiger Lite jigging rods are tough as nails and really hard to beat the price. I have a couple in different strengths, and the 100-200# x-heavy jigging rod is the lightest, most powerful rod that I've owned - that rod with the right reel & line can drag just about anything from the bottom.

So far, TSA has not managed to damage them, unlike some of my more expensive toys.
    What reel do you have paired with the rod, Zeek?

Anyone use a spinning reel to jig up here?

I use a Fin Nor OFS95 for jigging. I love it for that! Its a totally bomb proof reel. It will handle anything you can throw at it. Some guys use them for 200lb tuna on the long range charters. I spool mine with 65lb braid and its a great combo! That is what is on my Ugly Stik Tiger Lite

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    What reel do you have paired with the rod, Zeek?
    Well I've been using my Newell S550-4.6 spooled with 65# braid for some years, but just recently learned that Newell went out of business and that reel is now something of a collectible (yes, I'm slow to find out such things), so lately have been using it with my Shimano TLD-30II, also with 65# braid. Switched the factory 3" handle out for an anodized 5" power handle, and it makes deep cranking much easier.

I have the max drag set at approx 32 lbs; not too many fish in the ocean that can pull against that for long

On my other Tiger Lite (rated for 14-40# line) I have an Ambassadeur 7000 reel & 50# braid. That one is a blast for salmon, rockfish & average halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    Only for rock fish with light rods, though I'm thinking I should get a pair of salmon rods with spinning reels to use with buzz bombs. I think if I did more casting when jigging I'd try a spinning reel, but I've been fairly pleased with conventional lever drag reels which work well enough when plopping jigs some distance from the boat.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Almost exclusively. One is a Fin-Nor Offshore on a Shimano Terez 50-100# 1-piece 7'8" rod. The other, and a bit lighter, Quantum Cabo on an Okuma rod.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Almost exclusively. One is a Fin-Nor Offshore on a Shimano Terez 50-100# 1-piece 7'8" rod. The other, and a bit lighter, Quantum Cabo on an Okuma rod.
    Because of you I bought myself a Terez rod. I put a Penn spinfisher V on it. I believe it is the 3500 model. But will have to double check that.
    I put some 80# fins braid on it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Cabela's has (2 days ago anyway) a Fin Nor OFS95 in the bargin cave. It looked a little big though for my taste. Could get pretty heavy jigging all day with that monster. I have two Fin Nor's on mine, the Ahab 16 and the OFS6500 on the other. Both have 55lb braid and will bring up some large fish.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Because of you I bought myself a Terez rod. I put a Penn spinfisher V on it. I believe it is the 3500 model. But will have to double check that.
    I put some 80# fins braid on it.
    Excellent choice Chris and the Spinfisher is a darn good reel.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Snider View Post
    Cabela's has (2 days ago anyway) a Fin Nor OFS95 in the bargin cave. It looked a little big though for my taste. Could get pretty heavy jigging all day with that monster. I have two Fin Nor's on mine, the Ahab 16 and the OFS6500 on the other. Both have 55lb braid and will bring up some large fish.
    Yeah Kyle the 95 is massive! Really no need to go more than 65 with Fin-Nor.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Do you think the Shimano Spheros 6000 will be enough for Halibut? It has 305yds of 50lb braid capacity and has 27lbs max drag. I will be going out of Deep Creek this weekend and wasn't sure if that would work. If not I can always use the pool cue.

It certainly has plenty drag, my halibut reels have a max of 20# of drag and in most cases I find that to be plenty of drag.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Do you think the Shimano Spheros 6000 will be enough for Halibut? It has 305yds of 50lb braid capacity and has 27lbs max drag. I will be going out of Deep Creek this weekend and wasn't sure if that would work. If not I can always use the pool cue.
    Absolutely. I have yet to see a Halibut take more than a couple hundred feet of line at a time. I have always felt that more than 20#s of drag is more than capable of ripping hooks out and/or breaking 50-55# line if the drag isn't smooth.

Heavy Hitter Fishing