Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your roe

Default Where do you buy your roe

As some of the rivers will be open to bait in August and the conditions might not be good for fly fishing on some rivers .
    we might have to fish roe so the question is where can we source good local cured roe ?
    I would imaging some bait suppliers would have there own tried and tested recipes.
    The packs in the big stores don't look right to me but I might be wrong .
    Thanks Graham
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-18-2014 at 11:14.

I cure my own.
    I don't much care for the store bought stuff.
    I never have seen really good cured roe from any local source other than peoples own home cured stuff.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

you might not believe this, but you don't need roe to be successful, in my opinion it is not more effective, especially for silvers.

99% of my silvers and 100% of my kings came on roe last year. Everyone else throwing lures or flies could not keep up.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

People fish differently. With bait I think there's more of a learning curve. It's more of a stealth and patience game, less aggressive.

Different styles. In good spots bait is better with coho and kings no question in my mind. It's a pretty basic reason for the regulation I'm thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't fish Kings. But 100% of my Silvers came from Blue Fox spinners last year. Zero from roe. Almost the same as the year before, which only found one Silver via roe... and it got away just before being landed.

But the answer is... Cure your own. If you have until August to find roe... Go pluck a couple Sockeye in July and cure the eggs.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    99% of my silvers and 100% of my kings came on roe last year. Everyone else throwing lures or flies could not keep up.
    Keep in mind that most places I fished last year were turbid or off colored rivers, hence my choice in using eggs. I much prefer to use the flyrod, but when the rivers get dirty I'll switch to roe.

Default Where do you buy your roe

Having watching guides plunk handfuls of clients on the lower gulkana to catch kings on eggs... I'd say it works pretty well in clear water too... I've caught plenty on corkies, but bait works better on the big guys.

I've had good luck with the vibraxes for silvers, and if that's mainly what you're fishing I would say they work in pretty **** murky water from experience at sunshine creek.

Also to consider if salmon are what you are after, in late summer it seems rainbows are way more likely to hit your eggs versus a spinner from my experience. Course they are fun but pesky when you want a salmon.

For clarification, I fish clear, dirty, big, and small rivers. Last year I chose to fish turbid rivers to get away from crowds, which worked. Over the last 30 years I've accumulated hundreds of spinners, spoons, and plugs, which I still use frequently. Roe working in clear water is a given, but it starts to vastly out produce other forms of tackle when visibility is less than three inches, which was the case where I fished last year for coho and kings. I'm fortunate enough to actually get paid to go king fishing. Over the last 10 years I've literally caught well over 1000 kings and 95% came on eggs. The point is, come prepared with everything but the kitchen sink as far as tackle. There have been dozens of times through the years where we were crushing them on eggs and the guy next to us forgot his and hooked zero using something else. As soon as I gave them some of ours, bam. There is a time and a place where a pixee will out produce everything else, same with vibrax, egg sucking leeches etc. Bring your whole arsenal, but don't forget the eggs. I'm fortunate enough to hook well over a hundred kings a year. My best day was well over 60 kings fishng 15 straight hours. The most important thing I've learned is that every batch of eggs is different and some batches will actually scare fish away while other batches is like crack to a crack-head. I bring 5-6 diffent home roe recipes on every trip and there is always one that will out produce the rest. Which one they prefer will depend on the day, river, timing, and conditions. On a final note, cure your own eggs. Everything produced commercially is crap

Ok, well first and foremost, nothing works better on kings then eggs no matter the clarity, however as far as silvers are concerned I really don't think it matters much unless your fishing in silt……….silvers are the most predatory salmon and will hit anything and everything WHEN they feel like it. I think when is more important then what. I don't like to mess with eggs, too much of a hassle and you can waste a batch just as easily with a bad recipe so for me I don't bother. The two things I have seen work better then anything for silvers, jig flies and articulated flies, and herring if you want a third.

Buy salmon roe? I cure my own

I'm fortunate enough to actually get paid to go king fishing.

If you look anything like your avatar pik I'd pay you to go fishing also. Watchin you pick up those eggs would be worth the cover charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    If you look anything like your avatar pik I'd pay you to go fishing also. Watchin you pick up those eggs would be worth the cover charge!
    She isn't……..that pretty! LOL

I've used borax cured eggs with raspberry jello powder for years and years for silvers with generally awesome results. Occassionally I've switched it up and tried pro-cure or some other store bought cures with mixed results. What are some other common home batches I can make I may not have thought of? I've got some eggs in the freezer that I want to experiment with instead of tossing.

For clarification, I fish clear, dirty, big, and small rivers. Last year I chose to fish turbid rivers to get away from crowds, which worked. Over the last 30 years I've accumulated hundreds of spinners, spoons, and plugs, which I still use frequently. Roe working in clear water is a given, but it starts to vastly out produce other forms of tackle when visibility is less than three inches, which was the case where I fished last year for coho and kings. I'm fortunate enough to actually get paid to go king fishing. Over the last 10 years I've literally caught well over 1000 kings and 95% came on eggs. The point is, come prepared with everything but the kitchen sink as far as tackle. There have been dozens of times through the years where we were crushing them on eggs and the guy next to us forgot his and hooked zero using something else. As soon as I gave them some of ours, bam. There is a time and a place where a pixee will out produce everything else, same with vibrax, egg sucking leeches etc. Bring your whole arsenal, but don't forget the eggs. I'm fortunate enough to hook well over a hundred kings a year. My best day was well over 60 kings fishng 15 straight hours. The most important thing I've learned is that every batch of eggs is different and some batches will actually scare fish away while other batches is like crack to a crack-head. I bring 5-6 diffent home roe recipes on every trip and there is always one that will out produce the rest. Which one they prefer will depend on the day, river, timing, and conditions. On a final note, cure your own eggs. Everything produced commercially is crap

I have heard of people pretty much using that same recipe adding some garlic………..and they stand by it. I have seen some different recipes in fish alaska magazine as well that you might want to research on line if they have up.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    I've used borax cured eggs with raspberry jello powder for years and years for silvers with generally awesome results. Occassionally I've switched it up and tried pro-cure or some other store bought cures with mixed results. What are some other common home batches I can make I may not have thought of? I've got some eggs in the freezer that I want to experiment with instead of tossing.
    Garlic for silvers, anything sweet for kings and silvers. Honey, brown sugar, or just plain sugar works great. I normally just use plain white sugar. Use it liberally after curing. I normally have 5-10 different batches at a time and switch them out to see what works best. I also use shrimp, krill, sardine, herring, and anis oils. Kenai Cocktail and various other blends of oils and sodium phosphate, which is banned in some states. Rootbeer and ginger ale works as well due to the sugars.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    She isn't……..that pretty! LOL
    You didn't say that the last time after a 6-pack of beer

I always start out fishing a kwikfish on one rod and eggs on the other, then switch to whatever hooks up first, kings or silvers.

Oddly I've caught most of my kings on quick fish and most of my silvers on eggs, which seems counter to most others.

I did have a day last year the silvers wouldn't touch my eggs but we slated them on quick fish, who knows...

You didn't say that the last time after a 6-pack of beer
    LOL um ah nothing……...

Meant to mention the first year I was up here I got all the eggs I wanted walking the kenai beach during dip netting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast