Thread: Sable Fish Bait

Default Sable Fish Bait

So what would be the preferred bait for sable fish?

I'd think herring or maybe a nice squid.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Squid. Herring works very well, but at those depths with a single hook you'll want something that will stay on. Octopus or salmon bellies wouldn't be a bad option, either. All will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Squid. Herring works very well, but at those depths with a single hook you'll want something that will stay on. Octopus or salmon bellies wouldn't be a bad option, either. All will work.
    Do you try to use a large bait or just a good chunk to cover the hook? I know that sound like a goofy question...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Do you try to use a large bait or just a good chunk to cover the hook? I know that sound like a goofy question...
    I've done ok fishing deep with squid and octopus. No sablefish yet but some nice rockfish. I use a tentacle or a hook-size chunk. It stays on the hook nicely.
    What kind of setup are you using? I'm using a spreader bar with leader and circle hook. I think I'll change to a double spreader and get my baits in a wider scent trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    I've done ok fishing deep with squid and octopus. No sablefish yet but some nice rockfish. I use a tentacle or a hook-size chunk. It stays on the hook nicely.
    What kind of setup are you using? I'm using a spreader bar with leader and circle hook. I think I'll change to a double spreader and get my baits in a wider scent trail.
    Actually, I don't have anything to go that deep but I ran into someone who has an electric reel that he wants to trade for some stuff I have. I don't know a thing about them but thought it I'd look into it. What size circle do you use when doing the deep deed? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    It doesn't much matter. When longlining for sablefish we use herring chunks that are only an inch wide, and squid we generally cut into 3-4 pieces. We have a much bigger scent stream, but you certainly don't need a huge bait (not do you need to hide the point of the hook).