Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever had a bear climb up to your tree stand to check you out?

Default Ever had a bear climb up to your tree stand to check you out?

This guy did...

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I love that video. It is GREAT reference material. Not sure I'd like to be in his position though! LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Sweet video.....I'm guessing by the lack of his breathing......

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Yep....a friend of mine owned a cover scent company and gave me a few free bottles to use on a bear hunt in Alberta years ago. So...I sprayed it on my boots then walked in to my stand a couple of hundred yards from the ATV. Due to the nature of the layout I could see my trail back and wasn't in the stand long before I noticed a small black bear on my trail close to where I started in from.

He never once picked his head up...kept his nose right to the ground the whole way to the bottom of my tree...then climbed up the tree sniffing each tree step. The bottom of my stand was a see through grate and he had his nose pressed right up against it sniffing my boots. It was at this point I began to re-asses the friendship with my buddy. Finally the bear stuck his nose up over the grate and I did the only thing you could.....I yelled boo!

He let go with all four paws at the same time...somehow turned around in mid air and hit the ground running doing mach four. Last I saw of him.

Good cover scent! LOL!!!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Yes I have had several come into the stand. Some of them not so exciting and one time very exciting. I have had them climb up, smell my boot and climb back down. The most exciting time was a sow with old cubs came in. A big male came in and the sow treed the cubs then left with the boar. A couple hours later the cubs came back alone. The boar and sow came back and the boar ran both cubs right into the stand with us! One was about in my lap and I tried a ninja kick but the thing jumped out of the stand and landed on its feet running! The other one was next to my buddy and he was swinging a arrow at it then it bailed and ran off. Most of the time its less exciting!

How about when one gets there before you?

Black Bear in Treestand.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post

Awesome! Never had that before but have seen evidence of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post

That's called "meal on a stick."

A friend has had them in the tree first not once but 2 times. Both times he climbed up, got settled on the stand, and he started getting wet, thinking it was rain. Nope, nervous bears do silly things. Granted, he was always hard of hearing. After that he'd make sure the way was clear before heading up.
    I've had them climb up in the tree next to me, but never with me. Had a sow pretty ticked off cause her cub was a few feet away in another tree and she figured I was at fault somehow. Thankfully she decided I was not a threat and decided not to come up and talk about it.
    ARR

For anyone who missed this one...

Climbing trees does NOT keep you safe from bears.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c7b_1353713268
    "Grin and Bear It"

I had one come up and check me out once. I was up in a small portable stand. Young bear, maybe 4.5' foot type, came into the bait and made himself at home. It was small and I decided to just watch him, with no intention of shooting. After about 15 minutes, he gets up and starts following my trail to my treestand. He gets to the base of the tree, and starts sniffing the tree. He then looks up at me and raises up and puts his front paws on the tree, still looking at me. I think to myself, hmmm, I think he's gonna climb up. And sure enough, up he comes. I was bow hunting, and didn't happen to have a gun with me on this particular trip. So, he shimmy's up the tree and gets right under the platform. I'm sitting, looking between my legs at him, and he's about 6" below the tree stand looking back up at me. I thought to myself, "surely he's got to see me", but he then sticks his nose up between the bars of the platform and bumps the bottom of my boot. I sort of brought my face down lower and in a low voice said "you better knock that **** off" (I didnt want to make a big racket for fear of blowing the stand that night). As soon as I said something, he pulls his head back down (sort of like a turtle pulls his head in) and backs very slowly down the tree. Then walks away with his hackle up and turing frequently to see that he wasn't being followed. So, he left, and I sat there wishing I had a video camera, or a camera period. Sat for another hour then decided enough for one night, and got down off the tree. As I was walking away from the tree, I looked back and noticed a dark spot on the tree. After going back and investigation, found out that he had pissed on the tree when I spoke to him.....so, I guess I scared the piss out of a bear that night. Sure wish I had that on video.

Had a big momma blackie fly up a tree to my buddy and I as we were watching her and her 3 yearling cubs from the stand platform that was 20 ft. off the ground. Sad part was she was just being a good, protective mother. The youngins were happily feeding while the sow remained on high alert, having come to the bait about an hour after a larger brownie had left. We took some photos and video of the family with no intentions of shooting them. But when my buddy moved to get out of his chair to stretch his legs, the sow picked up on this and she launched up the tree and in about 4 seconds she was trying to get in the tree stand with us. I only had time to take a step back, draw my .500 and shoot her point blank from about 3 ft. away with one hand. A sad ending, but she set things in motion...
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more. The 440 grain LBT hardcast wiped out her upper left canine and shattered the remainder of the jawline as it exited the neck, next to the spinal column. All she saw was a lot of muzzle blast then a quick trip back down to terra firma.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try carrying bear spray Trapak, it works when they try to come up your tree and you don't have to kill 4 bears with one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by snowshoehair View Post
    Try carrying bear spray Trapak, it works when they try to come up your tree and you don't have to kill 4 bears with one shot.
    I have carried bear spray prior to this when hunting from MY tree stand. I went to visit with a friend and on a lark, he asked me to accompany him to his bait station when this occurred. Guess I should have posted every minute detail. Thanks for your brilliant analysis! That was a tough one to figure out.

Well, it’s nice to hear you have everything under control Trapak.

I may be speaking only for myself, but you may want to keep in mind that people may not be too receptive to someone posting pictures and bragging about killing a mother bear…and her family. Female blackies are all bluster and no one has ever been killed by one, much less two men 20 feet up in a tree stand. Common sense also dictates one doesn’t aggravate her by getting up and moving around.

Hey SNOW, before putting people down, try not making statements you appear to have no knowledge about.

Like "no one has ever been killed by one "

And you know someone has been killed by a sow? I think if you're going to post a comment like that, you should back it up with facts... like, what do you base your comment on, that I don't know anything?

Lone male bears that get a wild hair to stalk a human are the ones you need to watch out for, not a sow blustering after two men in a tree.

May not have happened from a tree stand BUT many not only in Alaska have been killed and eaten by Black Bears. One such happened to a young boy in Utah several years ago.

I'm not for any fighting especially on a forum. Hard to Monday quarterbacking when WE weren't there and who's to know how WE would have reacted ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast