Thread: Need some advice on where to go for a three day backpacking trip

Default Need some advice on where to go for a three day backpacking trip

I am wanting to go on a three day backpacking trip in mid June. Ideally I would like to find somewhere within 3-4 hours of Anchorage that is 20 to 30 miles long with challenging terrain, that will take me somewhere little traveled. I am hoping to find something where it would be unlikely to see other people.

A loop, or at least the end point, being close to the original starting point would be ideal, since we will only be taking one vehicle.

I am a pretty experienced hiker but I am new to Alaska and have only gone on day trips thus far.

I would appreciate some suggestions or tips on where we should go. Sorry to post this in the hunting forum but the hiking one has very little activity.

Thanks for your help!

Any place with a trail will have people more than likely. However using a trailhead to get in then diverging from the path will get you away from most people.
    Go to title wave books and pick up a copy of any of the trail guides. No law says you have to stay on the trail as marked.

Lots of spots...

Kusugi Ridge, The Girdwood to Eagle River trail, several spots on the Kenai, Turnagin Pass are all pretty close to Anchrage- up in Fairbanks there's the Granite Tors trail and the White Moutains system.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Most established trails seem to only have a lot of people for the first few miles, I don't know of any true loop trails but there are several cool ones with beginning and end points within a few hours of each other, I think rainbow lake to Seward would be a really cool one with few people after the first few miles of either trail head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might consider the lost creek loop in the Wrangle Preserve on the Nabesna road. I doubt you'd see people and the scenery is awesome.

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...eek-Loop-2.pdf

Default Need some advice on where to go for a three day backpacking trip

Symphony lake isn't a loop but it is amazing and about 9 miles one way with lots of variation in terrain. Trailhead is only about 30 minutes from anchorage and there is stocked lakes at the end of the trail if you wanted to fly fish.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Symphony lake isn't a loop but it is amazing and about 9 miles one way with lots of variation in terrain. Trailhead is only about 30 minutes from anchorage and there is stocked lakes at the end of the trail if you wanted to fly fish.

If you go this route, note that the grayling season doesn't open until July 1st in symphony lake - or at least that was the case in years past. Lots of people fish it early illegally, but check the regs.

You can always take one vehicle and hitch a ride back. That said you might look into Johnson Pass trail as well as Resurrection Pass trail......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I will trade you the coordinates to my super secret awesome special hiking trail and incredible fishing spot for some bricks of .22lr.

Crow creek pass from girdwood to eagle river is a nice hike. Pass a couple glaciers with the exception of crossing eagle river is very enjoyable. It's 24-26 miles with plenty of good spots to spend the night along the way. The only technical terrain is the first few miles uphill on the loose rock going up, and then a short section accross and down to the creeks. It was my first real hike in Alaska.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk