Thread: Baiting ethics

Default Baiting ethics

Hello everyone, this is my first post and first year baiting. I was out this weekend scouting for a spot and came across an old stand. It was definitely abandoned, from the looks of it no one had used it in a few years. I did come across another active site about a 1/4 mile away. Would it be ethical to use the old site? I don't want to step on any toes. I left a note on a tree where the active site owner would park with the the location of the old site my name and number. I'm just looking for opinions about this situation. Thanks!

I think you'll get lots of opinions but mine is: the more bait around the more the bears will stick around and those who put time in on stand will all benefit. Swanson River Road her in the peninsula is a great example of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A general rule of thumb a lot of hunters I know say is to try and get at least a 1/2 mile to a mile away from other baits, while several baits in a close area does give the bears a lot of food to keep them there it also gives them a lot of other areas to feed other than yours and it increases the human traffic flow into the area which eventually pushes out the bears. Just my opinion and experience. Good luck!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Patchief View Post
    A general rule of thumb a lot of hunters I know say is to try and get at least a 1/2 mile to a mile away from other baits, while several baits in a close area does give the bears a lot of food to keep them there it also gives them a lot of other areas to feed other than yours and it increases the human traffic flow into the area which eventually pushes out the bears. Just my opinion and experience. Good luck!
    I agree with this. In addition, while it give the bears more opportunities, it also gives other hunters more opportunities at the bears. Personally, I wouldn't knowingly set up within a mile of another bait site.

Thanks guys I thought it would be to close but it is a killer spot. I'll just have to push further back in the woods. Happy hunting gentlemen!!

We talked and actually its 25 yards from my spot. Just wasn't seen, But I told him go in about 100-150 yard further and I'm good with that We will both be working same bears and feeding but someone should connect.

Glad you guys were able to work a solution, between the two of you the bears ought to have a good food supply and not go far, good luck!

This is exactly how true sportsman should come together and work out issues, a great example that I wish a lot of others would follow, congrats to all here and good luck!