Thread: bait hit hard then nothing

Default bait hit hard then nothing

So we had a sow brown bear with 2 cubs hitting the bait around every 5 hours and a big boar brown hitting. Now for 2 days nothing no pictures no bait eaten really strange . I am thinking 2 things could have happened the boar got a cub so he has a meal and scared the sow off or it is so hot they are taken a break. Have never had them stop before once they found the food.

No baiters within at least 1-2 miles off us that I know of. Thoughts?

Here in the interior, it is very common to have Grizzlies on bait until the Moose start dropping calves. That time of year is mid May, we are right in that window. I never even waste my time and put bait out until after the 15th here. The Browns and Grizz, seem to like fresh protein over sweets.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

At both my bait and a buddies we had an interesting situation that is kind of similar to this. A couple of weeks ago, my buddies bait had multiple brown bears coming in. They killed a large boar. No more bears. ZERO. My bait was going strong. 5 or 6 bears hitting it all the time. I killed a large boar on friday night. He was the last bear there to date. NONE have come in since he was killed.

Are they hip to us now after killing their buddies? Does the gut pile nearby keep them away?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    At both my bait and a buddies we had an interesting situation that is kind of similar to this. A couple of weeks ago, my buddies bait had multiple brown bears coming in. They killed a large boar. No more bears. ZERO. My bait was going strong. 5 or 6 bears hitting it all the time. I killed a large boar on friday night. He was the last bear there to date. NONE have come in since he was killed.

Are they hip to us now after killing their buddies? Does the gut pile nearby keep them away?
    We killed two blackies off the same bait 1.5 hours apart, in fact the first bear was laying at the base of the tree stand, 30 yards from the bait. At another site, my buddy killed a second bear that was harassing him as he was skinning one shot less than 1 hour earlier. In my buddies case, the second bear had been gut-shot at some point recently and had some entrails hanging out. It was not a happy bear!

Don't worry about it. The bears like eating each other's guts... its just more food! Early season they're wandering a bunch, eating lots of greens, and not ready to really settle down and camp out on a bait. Just keep doing what you do, and they'll show up again.

I believe that this happens when they find a better food source.

they're back and eating heavy

My Grandpa used to tell me "Be patient...a whole lot of nothing can turn into a whole lot of everything in a heartbeat".

Mine got emptied out! I hadn't checked it for a few days as it wasn't hit yet then all gone! My son is excited now!

Our bait has bait has been hit once then nothing. Did a honey burn now that I figure most of the bears are out and about/cover our sent while setting up tree stands, hopefully will get a few more hits this week.

My 8 year old son got his first bear last night. One shot through the heart with his .243! It went 20 yards and was done. It is just getting going. Night and day difference in air temperature the past few nights to.

That is awesome! I can't wait for my son to get his first bear or moose.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    My 8 year old son got his first bear last night. One shot through the heart with his .243! It went 20 yards and was done. It is just getting going. Night and day difference in air temperature the past few nights to.
    Congrats! would love to see pics! I've had good action for a couple weeks now; same bear has visited me the last two nights, but not offered a shot. He'll go a shade over 5 foot squared. Just a little meat bear.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Congrats! would love to see pics! I've had good action for a couple weeks now; same bear has visited me the last two nights, but not offered a shot. He'll go a shade over 5 foot squared. Just a little meat bear.

I posted a pic on the bear pic thread! Thanks! He still has a huge smile on his face! I think even in his sleep! He keeps asking when we can go again...