Thread: Just an example

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Just an example

This last week was a 2 1/2 day charter, first day 5 kings lost 6 (half day), second day all day 0 landed lost 3, third day landed 5, 3 came unhooked and one broke the hook! I use snelled rigs with owner cutting points and then I tried a owner open eye for my 6.5 Apex, great action but the fish broke the hook! dang that hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Loozitis!!!!!! We're struggling with it right now too. Yesterday my wife landed both she hooked and I lost both I hooked. Dunno what that's all about, but we've scheduled a rematch today.

Never had an Owner break, but I'd toss that whole pack of hooks. Check and see if there's a lot # on the pack and pass that along if you would.

A few years back Gamakatsu had a batch (also open eye) sneak through QC that were brittle as heck. If the eyes didn't break when you closed them, the hooks would break in fish- usually right at the barb cut. All fixed now, but it soured me on Gami's for a long time.

Still running 50/50 white/red here.

3 red one white today, every king in camera bit today and stayed hooked.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Awesome job with the Kings, love running into schools of biggies like that! Where did the hook break at though? If broke at the eye it might have been a fatigue crack from squeezing the eye shut. With most hooks you have to make sure to crimp the eye closed in just one smooth squeeze *(a pair of vice grips works best). Squeezing the metal multiple times results in a fatigue crack which will cause the hook to break just at the eye. This is a pretty important step when closing all stainless siwash hooks regardless of brand, I learned my lesson the hard way too many times.

Also, If I were you I'd try to get my hands on some Siwash Mustad Stainless 95170's. Great hook for big kings, a commercial guy turned me on to them and I haven't looked back since. Hoochies, plugs, spoons once one gets purchased behind the jaw of a king it ain't coming out.

Cheers,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by LGraham View Post
    ...Siwash Mustad Stainless 95170's....
    That's my pick of the litter for siwash too. Gotta watch those long points though, as they bend easily. Kodiak Marine had them in three sizes last time I was there.

Main shank before hook is where it broke. Tried a light hook for better action and paid the price. Now I gotta lighten drag.
    www.kodiakcombos.com