Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furs for Fun

Default Furs for Fun

Anyone been able to get a hold of these guys lately, I was expecting an invoice for a moose hide a month or two ago, haven't been able to get them to answer their phones.

Thanks in advance!

I emailed them about a month ago. no word... a buddy speaks highly of them

Be very careful using FfF. There's lots better tanners out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    Be very careful using FfF. There's lots better tanners out there.
    Any particular reason one should be careful?

This was a test run based on reports on this forum, we'll see what happens... I'll actually be in Idaho in July so I may pay them a visit in person.

I don't have experience with furs for fun.

I do think, as is typical of many businesses, it is easy for a new business to develop a good rep, at first, then get inundated and lose quality and/or timeliness of completion...From the get go the owner works like crazy to develop and keep a good reputation..after all, the success of the business depends almost entirely on positive word of mouth. The trouble then starts when this young business becomes 'too' successful and is unable to grow a qualified staff fast enough to get things completed. Sometimes quality goes down the drain, work orders get delayed...

Tanneries seem to be at a great risk for this type of problem. A solid business plan will generally prevent this, but there are a lot of businesses that start without one.

I hope you are able to get your moose hide back in timely fashion and that it is a good quality tan.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Well a google search has turned up two threads from trapperman.com and both refer to problems communicating with Hector for months at a time but no problems with getting hides back, I'm still holding out hope...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Well a google search has turned up two threads from trapperman.com and both refer to problems communicating with Hector for months at a time but no problems with getting hides back, I'm still holding out hope...
    could be he is just trying to stay above water, keeping things going. Still, communication is important!
    FWIW, no business WANTS to do a bad job. No business wants to lose business because of poor references. Especially the ones who start out with high standards of worksmanship.

cheers!
    Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    could be he is just trying to stay above water, keeping things going. Still, communication is important!
    FWIW, no business WANTS to do a bad job. No business wants to lose business because of poor references. Especially the ones who start out with high standards of worksmanship.

cheers!
    Juli
    Thanks for the encouragement! I spent 9 years in retail sales and a few more in restaurant so I feel like I give businesses quite a bit of slack having been in their shoes for so long.

Do you tan or send stuff out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement! I spent 9 years in retail sales and a few more in restaurant so I feel like I give businesses quite a bit of slack having been in their shoes for so long.

Do you tan or send stuff out?

I send everything out - h&h fur dressers and Wildlife Gallery. In house tanning is for shops with more than one employee and the funds and space to deal with chemicals, tumblers, and sawust... besides, If I had to do the tanning, I would not have time for the mounting - which is waaaaay more fun.
    I have done in house tanning on small mammals for lifesize mounts - it isn't a difficult process....but I don't want to deal with tanning on a large or commercial scale...

I wish H&H would buy out Alpha. Or Wildlife Gallery. LOL that would drop my mount prices by about 10%..maybe more.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

I send everything out - h&h fur dressers and Wildlife Gallery. In house tanning is for shops with more than one employee and the funds and space to deal with chemicals, tumblers, and sawust... besides, If I had to do the tanning, I would not have time for the mounting - which is waaaaay more fun.
    I have done in house tanning on small mammals for lifesize mounts - it isn't a difficult process....but I don't want to deal with tanning on a large or commercial scale...

I wish H&H would buy out Alpha. Or Wildlife Gallery. LOL that would drop my mount prices by about 10%..maybe more.

Juli
    Makes sense, I've been tanning my own small animals lately, I sent the moose off due to it's thickness and sheer size, next one is getting cut up into manageable pieces and I'll just do it myself!

No doubt about alpha, I've called them 3 times now and have been told to call back later or they didn't want the work each time, I guess it's good they know their limits for the folks who's work they do take in.

Juli
    H&H and the Gallery used to be partners, doubtful there will be any buyout there. Mark at H&H has never let me down and has always come through when I needed to go over an issue with him. As for the Gallery/CFD, well, search Taxidermy.net for their reputation.

Hi Hugh,

I am familiar with the wg, I used them when I had my taxidermy shop in Tok, and the taxidermy shop I worked for locally also uses them for almost all their tanning. I like their tan and while they do occasionally make an error.., I have yet to have a major issue occur. Though I do wish they would do a better job of combing sometimes :-)

Looking forward to getting my first shipment back from H and H.

I do appreciate the insight from others though and will see what the current scoop is on wg.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Hey limon, yer pm box is full. if you wan't me to go talk to Hector about your Moose hide
    I'd be glad to do it for you, I'm roofing a couple of houses in Rupert next week so it wouldn't be a problem to pop in and see him.
    Hector has always done a very nice job for me but no doubt he's always been tuff to get a hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Hey limon, yer pm box is full. if you wan't me to go talk to Hector about your Moose hide
    I'd be glad to do it for you, I'm roofing a couple of houses in Rupert next week so it wouldn't be a problem to pop in and see him.
    Hector has always done a very nice job for me but no doubt he's always been tuff to get a hold of.
    Hey slimm thanks for the offer, I sent you a PM!

I sent the moose off due to it's thickness and sheer size, next one is getting cut up into manageable pieces and I'll just do it myself!
    Curious if you had it tanned hair on, or if you just want it for the leather...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hector only does hair on.

Yeah I wanted it hair on for a throw on a spare bed or just to hang on a wall, maybe make a curtain. The tannery in the valley explained to me that the hollow hair will be brittle and wouldn't make a good rug but I wanted to try it out for a throw anyway.

Yeah I wanted it hair on for a throw on a spare bed or just to hang on a wall, maybe make a curtain. The tannery in the valley explained to me that the hollow hair will be brittle and wouldn't make a good rug but I wanted to try it out for a throw anyway.

hollow hair tends to 'shed' more than fur - the brittleness comes from age and getting 'dried out' - but if taken care of, should last a very long time as a throw...I personally think moose hides are very beautiful - the color of the hair is very rich.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Managed to get a hold of Hector at Furs for Fun today and he assured me its in the process. Mostly I was glad to hear he was still in buisness! I've gotten several indications he's real bad about communication but good for the work and that appears to be the case here, mostly an update for future readers/researchers!

Another update for future readers, I received the invoice for my hide late last week. I'll get it paid and should have a final update for this thread soon, maybe even with a picture!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast