Thread: Stock composite reeds on Mercury sport jet 200?

Default Stock composite reeds on Mercury sport jet 200?

Since when did mercury start installing 5 petal composite reeds as a stock feature on the 200 opti?? I was planning on changing out the (4 petal stainless reeds) on my 2011, before they began to chip. Come to find out, they're not 4 petal and they're not even metal! SOB! I guess I should have looked first. Lesson learned!

Did you take the engine apart to find the reeds? how did you see them? what color did they look like?

Second half of 2011, I did the exact same thing.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Second half of 2011, I did the exact same thing.
    What did you find? Stainless or Carbon.

Default Stock composite reeds on Mercury sport jet 200?

Composite of some sort. Don't know if they are carbon but they aren't steel. They are 5 petal as well.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Composite of some sort. Don't know if they are carbon but they aren't steel. They are 5 petal as well.
    I called the Mercury Marine website contact today and got several different answers from three different customer service reps. The first one looked up my Eng Vin (started with 0E) and gave me the part number as 840805T1 and said they are Carbon fiber (CF) I ask if he knew when they started to use CF and he had no Idea. Called again 5mins later and the Second Rep said customer service cannot connect me to a tech since they have no contact number and my ENG had SS reeds. Now mine you I called yet a third time and started over. The third rep looked up my request, then said hey you called twice before and I said the information was conflicting and he said wait a few minutes, he then got back on line and said this is really going to get you going. The tech he called said the 175 and 200 SJ both have fiber-glass reeds and have had them for a few years, and he thinks since 2006. So now I don't know whos, who in whos-ville, gee's I guess I'll really have to look for myself.

Wrong answer my 2009 had Metal reeds had to replace them AT 346 hrs engine they were flacking off pieces,,engine blu last fall got a new fully dressed engine this summer has cf reeds and no mercury didn't cover me under warranty for new engine they did cover reeds when they went out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting how information can change from person to person. My motor only has 90+ hours so no worries about the reeds at the moment.

Getting 346 hours on SS reeds sound pretty dang good to me. What the heck is a fully dressed engine?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    Wrong answer my 2009 had Metal reeds had to replace them AT 346 hrs engine they were flacking off pieces,,engine blu last fall got a new fully dressed engine this summer has cf reeds and no mercury didn't cover me under warranty for new engine they did cover reeds when they went out

Complete engine not a bare block ,8600 was my cost.,i have a complete engine if anyone needs parts everything even a computer lost 2 pistons so every thing is there just 2 bad holes

2009 with 4 petal, metal reeds, approx 130hrs and they are getting changed to Boysen composite reeds as we speak. Cheap insurance as I see it.

Well after futher inspection from my mechanic, we find that my 2011 200 opti also has fiberglass reeds in it. And after just under 200 hours they look just fine, so guna keep using them as I have had no problems with them... Just fyi....
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"