Thread: Ketchikan Kings

Default Ketchikan Kings

Any hatchery kings showing up yet?

Haven't anything about hatchery kings yet. Heard a few kings have been showing up this past week or so out at Clover Pass, but don't no where they are chasing them.

Nice and sunny today but Clarence looks pretty rough. Hopefully things will settle down when you get here.

I have heard that some guys are sacken up .... in the outlying areas and they all look like clones .... so I would think they are the Herring Cove fish.

I fished there Monday afternoon and Tuesday without any luck. (struck out on Kings and Halibut)

Weather was less than ideal but I was still surprised by how few boats were on the water.
    I didn't mark a fish from Guard Island to Bold Island but a friend caught a decent King on the backside of Gravina.
    Most of the reports I heard indicated that Halibut fishing was picking up in the outside waters and that Kings were showing up now but were still relatively few and far between. Most of the Kings that I heard of were taken on the North side of KTN.
    I think it will be a completely different experience in a couple of weeks.

We have guys picking them up over around annette island.

They seem to be stuck up in Sitka right now. Reports coming out of Sitka are unreal. Still slow on the W side of POW, but not many guys are heading to the outside. They are coming to the southern end.. give them a week or two. I start in 9 days, so I hope they hurry.

No luck yesterday. Only saw one boated.

My son and friends picked up 4 yesterday on the north end of town. Largest was 25 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    My son and friends picked up 4 yesterday on the north end of town. Largest was 25 lb.
    Cool! I'm less than a month away from my trip to Ketchikan ... looking forward to getting some quality kings!!

Went 10 for 10 on my charter today, for kings. Partner boat got his 12 he needed. It's good... Feels like late June out there with the numbers we have.

Looks like most of the derby fish are being turned in up there. We caught one today, but it was mushy. May have to try heading to north of ketchikan, but that's a lot of fuel.

Sunday was a long day for my son, all they got was shakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    They seem to be stuck up in Sitka right now. Reports coming out of Sitka are unreal. Still slow on the W side of POW, but not many guys are heading to the outside. They are coming to the southern end.. give them a week or two. I start in 9 days, so I hope they hurry.

Yep, the fishing up on our end here has been fantastic. Even right in front of town has been great.

It's really good here now. The 2 fish limit is fun. Had 10 by noon on sunday, 12 before 10am on Monday, and 10 before 11am today. (alternating between 5 and 6 clients). Nice fish too. All mooching. Had 4 on at once today.