Thread: Anchorage area Mauser smiths

Default Anchorage area Mauser smiths

So, I've gotten the point in my mauser build that I need a prop with the right tools to install and headspace a new barrel for me, as well as clean up the action and bolt face so the new setup shoots decent. Who in the anchorage area is known the best for their mauser skills? would also like to have the whole think parkerized while its there, so that would help too.

Stan Jackson.

Dennis Beam in the butte does parking and bluing.

Stan Jackson is the only one that I would let work on my MAUSER Guide Rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by KelsonAK View Post
    Stan Jackson.

I've seen a few rifles built by Andy Hawk that were very nicely done, and he'd be my first choice in an Anchorage smith.

Cleaning up and barreling a Mauser isn't some lost art, the smith simply has to go to effort to set up the action and barrel properly.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yup any gunsmith should have the tooling for and no trouble with a Mauser.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    So, I've gotten the point in my mauser build that I need a prop with the right tools to install and headspace a new barrel for me, as well as clean up the action and bolt face so the new setup shoots decent. Who in the anchorage area is known the best for their mauser skills? would also like to have the whole think parkerized while its there, so that would help too.
    If it's just a new barrel, blue printing etc. Mighty Fine, but if you are changing cartridges, to one that is quite different, the need for Mauser expertise is probably needed to make it feed properly.

Gunsmiths have different skills, and prefer some things over other things. They even farm out certain things to another gunsmith. It's best, to talk to them about such things.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.