Thread: Any two wheel ditch bangers out there?

Default Any two wheel ditch bangers out there?

I've been spending quite a bit of time on my dirt bike this year already and I'm always looking for guys to go explore some trails with. Are there any of you guys in the Wasilla/Palmer area that want to get together and do some dirt riding? My "go fast, jump high" days are dwindling and I'm really getting more in to the technical side of riding. A lot of trail riding, rocks, mud, hills, etc.

I just wanted to throw it out there to see if there were some other guys that wanted to get together and go explore. I have a group of five that I ride with fairly regularly now but we are always looking for others.

My ride - '08 WR450F

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I here ya on the 'slowing down' reality, now being on the downside of my 60's - Am thinking of selling my vintage, but fun, '73 Bultaco and getting a newer more comfortable and efficient dirt bike. Another drawback of my existing ride is that it does not fair as well on water crossings.
    Have worn out a number of Honda XR's.
    Will keep you in mind if I get to upgrade this season.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

I may be interested if I can get away from the house projects if ya don't mind riding with vintage here as well. I sold my CRF 450R a couple years ago and started searching out an old 2 stroke to make into a trail fun bike...missed that 2 stroke magic I spose.
    Main bike is a 1990 KTM 540 desert cross country.... 300 bucks off Craigslist all used up, about a year of going through it top to bottom and too much $$$ spent on it that I care to admit.
    I'm overdue to get her out to stretch her legs...

The pic of your WR reminded me of this photo of my old 450R. It was a good trail bike in its own right... I ran a heavier flywheel and Rekluse clutch.... I just got to missing my 2 stroke roots.

Great looking bike CW! I bet that two-smoke 540 absolutely flies...

I've always wondered about the Rekluse.... Did you like it?
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

While the Cr500 fellas won't like to hear it the big Katoom will out run em, she's got all new internals in the top and bottom end with a fresh nicasil done and I even did some slight porting and blue printed the piston and new Rad valve. I went lower in gearing from where I started to be more tractor like in the slow tech stuff,her legs still stretch plenty long for me.
    The Rekluse is odd at first but takes very little time to fall in love with. You say you like slow rocky stuff that makes you work? Can't go wrong with the Rekluse. If they made one for my KTM I would be all over it. I managed to street legal my 450R and the Rekluse also shined in stop and go traffic...fun way to get back and forth to work. Here's how she looked in street trim, in 5 minutes time I could have it changed out for dirt fun and loaded up on the trailer.

Definitely need to hook up for a ride. I'll PM you my number.
    AKmud

i like to ride also, i only have a 200cc 2 stroke kawasuckie tho. its a 91 200e i believe.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i like to ride also, i only have a 200cc 2 stroke kawasuckie tho. its a 91 200e i believe.
    Much easier to pull a light bike that size out of the mud or out of the water when you drop thru the ice!
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Sold my 200 last year. It was a lot of fun but I started wrecking too often. Did a lot of this stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default recommended starter trails around anch area?

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I've been spending quite a bit of time on my dirt bike this year already and I'm always looking for guys to go explore some trails with. Are there any of you guys in the Wasilla/Palmer area that want to get together and do some dirt riding? My "go fast, jump high" days are dwindling and I'm really getting more in to the technical side of riding. A lot of trail riding, rocks, mud, hills, etc.

I just wanted to throw it out there to see if there were some other guys that wanted to get together and go explore. I have a group of five that I ride with fairly regularly now but we are always looking for others.

My ride - '08 WR450F

We just got our 9 year old son a honda 70 for his birthday and were wondering if you'd recommend any trails in the anchorage area that are approved for 2 wheel cycles? I plan to take him to Jim Creek soon, but was wondering if theres other alternatives nearby as well? Thanks, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    We just got our 9 year old son a honda 70 for his birthday and were wondering if you'd recommend any trails in the anchorage area that are approved for 2 wheel cycles? I plan to take him to Jim Creek soon, but was wondering if theres other alternatives nearby as well? Thanks, Chris
    Unfortunately there isn't much for open riding in the Anchorage area other than Kincaid which wouldn't be a good learning area for a new rider. Most of the public areas like Bird creek and Eklutna lake are open for ATV use but not motorcycles. There are some trails on native land around Chugiak/Peters creek but you need to get a permit from the native corporation (CIRI or Eklutna I don't remember which).

Other than that, you will be all the way out to the Valley to find any open riding.
    AKmud

isnt Anchorage great!?
    Semper Fi!

I'm 45.…lived here in Alaska my whole life. Anchorage 69'-73'...Eagle River 73'-80'....Peters Creek 80'-85'..… Wasilla 85'-93'.….and again Anchorage 93'- present. Anchorage isn't all bad if that's what your getting at....