Thread: H-212 steering question

Default H-212 steering question

Have a hamilton 212 in my Tjet. I have sloppy steering and it pulls to the right. Been struggling with this for a couple years. Noticed that the bolt that goes through the end of the steering cable, into the steering arm is very sloppy as it goes through that cable end. Its a u with a pin in it. Can you replace just the end or is it time to replace the whole thing? Anyone else have this issue and find a fix? I tried a size bigger bolt but the threads were to big to fit. Maybe I need to try a Metric size bolt.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

The grey pumps are all metric. Have you downloaded the PDF 212 manual from Hamilton? Tons of good info and schematics.
    If you are pulling right, I'm thinking maybe a load distribution issue rather than pump? Sloppy steering linkage would contribute to that as the nozzle would have no resistance to the hull acting to drift that way.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Its not load distribution. With the wheel straight, the nozzle is slightly kicked to the right. If you bump the nozzle it will center up and the slop is all at that cable connection. This is while the boat is on the trailer
    I do have the manual but it doesn't say anything about that bolt. I think the design of the conection to the tiller is lacking. With the bolt in you can't tighten it to tight or the steering will be stiff due to the friction of the bolt and cable connection. I would of though a swivel or tie rod end would be more logical.
    Thanks for the tip
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity