Thread: fish on the sonar..

Default fish on the sonar..

Apparently there is fish coming through the sonar on the copper.seems early

The skeeters here are a full month early. Did someone tell the fish?

the fish are coming up the river.. I think the 12th was the first day that the sonar was fully operational.... I think I remember they got 440 fish counted.... Wednesday was over a thousand.... according to the 6 o'clock count yesterday should be over 1500... so they're moving.... understand the rivers been pretty much ice free for a while too... so there shouldn't be any hesitaters... if this keeps up personal use should start on the 7th I would guess

The Miles Lake sonar camp was deployed on May 6 and the south bank sonar began operation on May 7
    source Prince William Sound Salmon Fishery News Release #1

Too bad most are being shipped to Seattle on Alaska Airlines right now?...

the commercials got around 28 thousand reds,,, an around 1300 kings,,,, Thursdays first opener
    ,,, I also heard that some of the fish were sent to a woman's shelter in Anchorage,,,, and cooked up by one of them fancy local chefs

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    the commercials got around 28 thousand reds,,, an around 1300 kings,,,, Thursdays first opener
    ,,, I also heard that some of the fish were sent to a woman's shelter in Anchorage,,,, and cooked up by one of them fancy local chefs
    If anyone hears which restaurant's chef gave up their talent for that post it up here. That's a restaurant & chef that well deserves a plug publicly.

good call family man.... source: Copper River Prince William Sound Marketing Association.......... some fishermen an a few wives.... will be assisting CHEF GERBER OF THE CROWS NEST a special meal on sat. The 17th at the clare house......the clare house provides temporary 24 hour emergency shelter for women and children and expecting mothers over 18

It has been over three years now since Alaska residents have been allowed to legally catch even one of these same kings on the Gulkana River. The mismanagement of this fishery is criminal.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

14,000+ fish yesterday. That's a ridiculous number for this early.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    It has been over three years now since Alaska residents have been allowed to legally catch even one of these same kings on the Gulkana River. The mismanagement of this fishery is criminal.

You know, to be fair about this... From what I saw most of the king sport harvest on the gulkana (and klutina, etc) wasn't by residents. So in that sense I'm not sure that just limiting the commercial fishery would have the effect you desire. Know what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default fish on the sonar..

And sounds like the river will be full of salmon come June 01. Can't be a bad thing. Looking at the size of the fireweed by my woodshed I'm not at all surprised the fish are up river that far. Also the roses are blooming here in the mat-su already, which is typically a first week of June thing. My vote is for the early springs to become normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean Thursday opener?

Commercial fishing opener. Not the dipnet fishery.

Sent by wormhole from Galaxy S4

Default commercial openings

Shayno.....commercial fishing boats that fish by the mouth of the copper.... usually get 2 openings a week... on Monday and Thursday.... they start out being 12 hour openings.... with the run starts getting stronger they extend the openings.... I think to try to avoid over escapement.... first two openers were for12 hours.... today's opener is 36 hours....

Shayno.....commercial fishing boats that fish by the mouth of the copper.... usually get 2 openings a week... on Monday and Thursday.... they start out being 12 hour openings.... with the run starts getting stronger they extend the openings.... I think to try to avoid over escapement.... first two openers were for12 hours.... today's opener is 36 hours....

Roger.
    I wish they would open it a tad early for us! There is enough for me to go down there.