Thread: Symphony Lake

Default Symphony Lake

Questions for anyone that has fished Symphony Lake (S. Fork of Eagle River valley):

Did you take a float tube or fish from shore? which ever method you used, how was your success at grayling? and if you didn't use a float tube, do you think you should've?

I was thinking of hiking in my float tube, but i have a large sit on top Outcast float tube (not really a tube i guess) and it is huge, will barely fit in my 5500 cu in pack.

What did you use, flies? spinners?

thanks ahead of time for any responses! will post a report if I end up heading up there.

herman

dry flies in the evening
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Herman,

I wouldn't worry about hauling your tube into Symphony. Sounds like you may be adding 20+ pounds to your pack with the tube, waders, kick fins and wading shoes. Even though it's a relatively easy hike, 12 miles round trip is still 12 miles, and it is a bit of pain to have much of a pack when you're crossing the morraine. I've seen several folks carry tubes into the lake, but I bet they wished they would have left it at home by the time they made it back to the trail head.

Good luck.

tt

tt, thanks for the reply. funny you should mention the float tube. i packed it in yesterday. headed out there with a friend. the moraine field was a pain, especially since we made a b-line for Symphony rather then going up to Eagle Lake and over to Symphony. Anyhow, not great conditions. Windy and snowy with a half frozen lake. Saw a couple of risers but no luck. I had an ultralight spinning rod and my 4 wt, no luck on topwater or underwater flies. We did see two wolverines just before getting to Symphony and an otter at the lake, which was pretty fun. if anyone else is looking at heading out there, i would wait another 2 weeks or so. the lake seems pretty deep and the risers we saw were just at the edge of the distance I could get with my spinning rod. i think a tube might be useful, and I might actually put myself through that pain again later this summer.

tt (or anyone), have you hiked into Crescent? did you use a float tube?

thanks!

herman

Thumbs up

I have hiked into crescent. Tough walk but beautiful. Remember the lake and creek does not open untill July 1. We also have taken the horses in. It was ok but for the money I suggest booking the forest service cabin for the night at the lake. There is a boat with oars there. You get the boat and cabin for i think it is 40 bucks. Flying in is 200 per person same as with the horses. If you can fly in and due a friday and saturday night it is perfect. Take a 3-4wt rod with dry flys and somesmall bead heads. If the wind picks up use a ultra light spinner 4lb test with 0-1 mepps. Lots of grayling and there are 14-18 inchers up there to be caught quite a bit. Beautiful lake and peaceful and quiet. Your can get to the cabin reservations by going to www.recreation.gov If you need more help message me here and ill get you my number. Oh and take the flight service out of moose pass. Im drawing a blank on the name right now. They were recommened to us by alaska clearwater adventures.
    Fish On
    Chuck

Thanks Chuck for that info, appreciated!

herman