Thread: PWS Salmon Sharks

Default PWS Salmon Sharks

We are going to try some slamon shark fishing out of Whittier this year and i was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about it; times, places, methods..... anything would be great.

One thing you might want to consider is ordering the back issue of Fish Alaska magazine that focused on salmon sharks. Personally, though I have never taken a fishing charter in my life, I think I am going to do a charter once just to get the feel for it before I go it alone. At the very least, though, I recall that this particular issue of the magazine had some good tips on the how and where. I believe you can order back issues through their website.

Default Hunting but

Have done some shark hunting out to 40 miles from Whittier with no luck or sightings at all. Fish Alaska talked about spots over by Cordovia, don't think I'd call that Whittier fishing. Would find it had to think none are closer.
    But thats why they call it Fishing not Catching

The only time I saw a salmon shark was maybe 5 or so miles north of Naked Island (about 35 miles from Whittier). Of course it was while I was hanging over the transom with water up to my elbows changing a spun prop.

A friend of mine runs a charter out of Seward and he's gone out near Hichinbrook and the N side of Montague for shark. It sounded like they drifted with salmon heads, and he said you could pick them up on the fishfinder. You need some pretty bad-*%^@ gear to catch them on. The last story I heard from the guy was they caught 9 sharks on 8 drifts about this time last year...maybe early July, but sometime around now.

thanks for the input

I've seen them "finning" the surface around Latouche and Ellington Islands, so look for the fins too. I'm gonna try and get a shark this year too. Good luck, I've heard it's the best bite in Alaska!

Thumbs up

we ran into them 2 weeks in a row in may right in cochrane bay, fished for them the second weekend, on the surface, hooked up three times, never landed one but omg what a blast....

Sponsor

Default PWS Sharks

Here in Whitter our local shark expert is Matt Kopec at Whittier Marine Charters. He is a marine biologist who runs a charter business every summer. Last year he gave an interview with Fish Alaska magazine where he described in detail the ins and outs of sharking. I'm sure arechived copies are available.
    Rob Cone-Clark
    Whittier Boats
    http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com
    Tel. 1.907.632.1188

Sponsor

Default PWS Shark info

I Just went to the Fish Alaska web site and found the article on the Salmon Shark. It's their very first issue from back in 2001. Click on it and then on "A Stranger in It's own Waters" which describes a Shark Charter
    Rob Cone-Clark
    Whittier Boats
    http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com
    Tel. 1.907.632.1188