Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tok Sheep Hunt. If my wife has the rifle should I carry a sidearm?

Default Tok Sheep Hunt. If my wife has the rifle should I carry a sidearm?

Looking for a little advice. My wife has a tok sheep tag and will be carrying her .270. She's a good shot but not exactly what I would call a quick draw winner.

We'll be flying in, and I'm wondering if I should worry at all about carrying my G20 in 10mm. I'm not looking to get in a, "what caliber will work on bears" debate (good lord that get's old). I just would like to know if any of you seasoned sheep hunters bother to carry a sidearm if your not packing a rifle. I'd rather not carry the extra weight and have had good results from pepper spray while bow hunting in Montana. But the tent thing has me somewhat concerned. I'm not a fan of spicing the burrito if Mr. Bear decides to try some pigs-in-a-blanket.

From what I've been told there aren't too many bear issues in that area but I thought I'd see what the consensus is from you guys as well.

Thanks!

I'd carry a rifle. Never know if your wife might need it if a scope gets knocked off or something. I never go on a hunt, tag or not, without a rifle in 30 caliber or larger.

If it's not in an accessible holster, it's not going to do any good. My rifle was wrapped up in my gear to protect the scope, so it would have taken me much too long to get it out for bear protection. For that reason, I carried bear spray in a holster on my belt. I was especially happy to have it as I carried the sheep out because the rifle was in my tent - many miles away.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Interesting question. I was in a similar situation in Tok 2010. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...597-Sheep-Days I had the tag and my wife was going along for the ride. We had decided she didn't need a rifle because my dad was going as well and with 2 rifles between 3 of us we figured no problem. Well the bear got the short end of the deal but my wife will not go hunting with me anymore with out her own rifle. On another sheep hunt with my dad and brother in Delta they had the tags so I left my rifle behind. My walking stick felt pretty puny when a large grizzly didn't want to let us pass. As it stood up on its hind legs at 75 yards I figured it would either drop and turn away or charge. Fortunately the bear worked his way around us, but it left me wondering what I was saving my gun for, a bear problem? It wasn't doing any thing for me back at camp. I always feel safer with my rifle. Sheep hunting is about going light and cutting weight but having a partner with a gun for back up sure is a good feeling when you are on an adventure of a lifetime.

I hate the feeling of needing something realy bad and not having it, particularly when I own the item and didn't bring it, I don't go to the woods without some form of firearm...

My no tag partner carried his pistol.

We saw one grizzly last year, and some black bear sign, but no issues with either. Unless you are down in a creek bottom its open terrain. However, there may come a point in the hunt that you two are not together for a while. It would suck if that was when things happened.

My wife sheep hunted last year on her tag, she carried the rifle, I had the bear spray taped with electrical tape to my trekking pole, the way I taped it, it still allows quick access even in the tent, we were hunting in the park and in no way I wanted to kill a bear nor pack one out for DLP purposes. If she was going to retrieve water or wander around near spike camp she took it and left the rifle with me. We thought about bringing the S&W 44Mag, but we wanted to shave the weight. We did fine on the hunt and everything worked out.

depends on how well she shoots...and how much she really loves you!

lb

Hunted that unit with my exhusband several years ago (then married). He had the tag, I was along for the hike/fun. We saw a grizzly on the other side of a large 'canyon' while we were glassing for sheep. A couple of hours later, when we left back for camp, I came within 100 yds of the bear without realizing it and was heading directly toward him..My ex ran to catch up to me and warn me of the proximity of the grizz (I had left a couple minutes before him as he was a lot faster than I at traversing some of the rock slides in the area). turns out the bear had crossed down into the canyon and come up the other side without our realizing it. I did not have a rifle, but sure wish I had, cause he was a real beautiful animal. Not big, just very nice coloration.

If I was you, I'd bring along another rifle, you just never know when opportunity will present itself.

Good luck on the sheep hunt!
    Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by chano View Post
    We had decided she didn't need a rifle because my dad was going as well and with 2 rifles between 3 of us we figured no problem.
    I hear something like this on this forum quite often. Nine times out of ten you probably won't "need" another gun. You never seem to need another gun right up to the time you do......

Then what...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd be inclined to carry a firearm. A Glock weighs very little but I'd probably want something else with more utility- a scoped rifle to bag a bear or back up the wife or perhaps a shotgun for ptarmigan with a couple slugs in the pocket just in case?

Just a thought.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Absolutely you never know what might happen 90%of the time you wont need one but you never know

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Looking for a little advice. My wife has a tok sheep tag and will be carrying her .270. She's a good shot but not exactly what I would call a quick draw winner.
    We'll be flying in, and I'm wondering if I should worry at all about carrying my G20 in 10mm. I'm not looking to get in a, "what caliber will work on bears" debate (good lord that get's old). I just would like to know if any of you seasoned sheep hunters bother to carry a sidearm if your not packing a rifle. I'd rather not carry the extra weight and have had good results from pepper spray while bow hunting in Montana. But the tent thing has me somewhat concerned. I'm not a fan of spicing the burrito if Mr. Bear decides to try some pigs-in-a-blanket.
    From what I've been told there aren't too many bear issues in that area but I thought I'd see what the consensus is from you guys as well.
    Thanks!

Bigsky..... Who can run faster? You, or the wife?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Last year on the TMA party hunt I had drawn with my wife, I had already gotten my ram and went out again for her chance. Found 3 rams one legal, perfect stalk to 195 yards. I've never seen her miss a shot in 8 years of hunting but after the 3rd miss realized we had 2 problems. Her scope got knocked off zero and my rifle was back in the tent. The real gut kicker was when they stopped to watch us leave at 380 yards. Having my rifle could have changed the out come. I will always take two rifles.

I like having a handgun for tent and sleeping bag security. If you are buttoned up you can at least have the gun in the bag with you and shoot through it if necessary. It's easier, faster and simpler than having to unbutton, grab and maneuver a rifle within the confines of a tent.
    Now what ?

I heard or read somewhere that "guns are like parachutes if you need one and don't have it chances are you won't' ever need one again." Don't tie your firearm to your pack either. Those clips and knots are very difficult to untie when an angry she-bear is closing the gap. All lessons I've learned from real experience.

This has been an interesting conversation for me to read. Thus far when I have hunted with my wife we always take two rifles. This year I have a late season sheep drawing permit, so we're going to focus the early season on a harvest ticket opportunity for her. I've thought about the one-rifle option, as I'll likely pass up any legal ram in deference to her and to my late season tag. I like her rifle, and have thought about using it myself. That said, those nagging thoughts of missed opportunities and knocked scopes just can't be dislodged from my mind. As much as I'm a sheep hunter at heart and would love to shave ounces (let alone pounds), I think I'll gladly pack those extra 6-7 lbs up the mountain. After all, a side-by-side ram picture would be pretty sweet.

Bring the backup. Forget the bear danger risk, but rather dream of the opportunities!

Seems like the consensus is to bring an extra gun. I don't think I like the idea of carrying my Sako mannlicher 30-06 coming in at around 10 lbs up a mtn. So that's out. My over-under 12 gauge is pretty light and breaks down pretty small but doesn't like to shoot slugs so I don't think that one will make the cut. My wife's 870 youth model 20 gauge is quite small but I just don't know about that one. Perhaps bringing a 9" barrel for the glock? Wifey will have to geta lot of practice with that to work as any sort of back up for the rifle and 50 yards is pretty close to sneak in to. Hmmmm, Might need to look into buying a new 300 win Tikka That's going to take some convincing to get the wife on board. She will certainly balk at the recoil (not to mention another $1000.00 hit to the hunting budget). I still don't really want to add anymore weight to the overall pack load. I'm coming in at just a smidge over 50lbs for 5 days and we're not planning on doing a base camp. So any additional load is tough to swallow. I'm going to have to do a little more thinking on this one. I've got no desire or intention of taking a bear or any other game while out. This is her hunt and neither of us are all that keen to eating bear. I've seen some dandy whitetails taken with 10mm's but all of em' under 100 yds and wifey doesn't have too much time shooting the glock. Decisions decisions..........

Personally I've never considered my gun as part of my pack load.........it's just something that HAS to come with so it doesn't count.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

As my wife's protector, I'd feel awful if I was with her and in no position to protect her from wildlife attack. Though rare, they do happen; and there are plenty of grizzly in the TMA. The Glock can be a very effective defense weapon, if shot accurately. As to needing two rifles in case one gets cracked on the rocks; That is a very common occurrence sheep hunting. However, I'm a solo hunter mostly, and never carry two guns. It is very nice to have a rifle with iron sights in case the scope takes a hit, or else have a spare scope set up with rings. Get matching rings for both scopes, and install a quick detach base. Sight both before the trip. The second can be a lightweight, compact scope in 2-7x to save size and weight. Now you're at under $500 for your backup, instead of over $1,000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast