Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Kodiak" tv show

Default "Kodiak" tv show

I'm watching it. Disgusted but can't seem to change the channel. I miss the island and am a little sad with how they are portraying guide life there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Do you mean you never towed your bb 6 miles with a boat?

Lol no....never did.
    Master guide 212

I also found it interesting that both the 'guides' left the two hunters alone on the beach by themselves to protect the kill with the water coming in.

Havent seen it, but you have to love when hollywood and hunting touch. I'm sure its terrible.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

They showed lots of clips of their home movies including about 5 seconds of the guide handling a sawed off SXS shotgun with a nicely contoured pistol grip. Why do people allow this kind of stuff to get out into the world?

I had no idea that getting driftwood for fire wood was so difficult.

I will be sure to keep my hands out of my pockets as to not look like a city fella.

Looked like a spring hunt to me. But didn't catch if it was or not. Then they shot the deer....now I'm really confused.
    It was ok, try left the clients with the camera man and the whale carcass. Surprised all those dangerous killer bears didn't eat them.
    Master guide 212

The bright side is there's only 3 more episodes.

This review cracked me up: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...n-2014/212978/

"The island, referred to by the locals as ‘The Rock’, is populated by as many as 3,500 Kodiak bears – one for every square mile of land – each weighing in at over 1,500 pounds."

Pretty big cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Looked like a spring hunt to me. But didn't catch if it was or not. Then they shot the deer....now I'm really confused.
    It was ok, try left the clients with the camera man and the whale carcass. Surprised all those dangerous killer bears didn't eat them.
    The devils club was leaf free in all scenes it appeared in, so I would also guess it was a spring hunt. In the deer scene the brush was leaf free and there was no grass standing. The bear on the beach "that made their scent" was moving through knocked down spring grass. Plus they were talking about opening up the lodge for the first time that year and getting it ready for the season. So, the deer season extends into April or May then?

If it was anything like the Wild West Guns episode of the deer hunt on Kodiak I'm sure it was horrible! These "reality" shows are terrible and get me fuming every time I make the mistake of watching them.

In addition to all of the "guide" gaffs you guys are mentioning...that hunter couldn't have been any louder chambering his round if he had been TRYING to be loud.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Havent seen it, but you have to love when hollywood and hunting touch.....
    I haven't seen it either. But that's pretty much it in a nut shell. Even some books I've read seem to lean that way. It's almost like they have a vendetta against Alaska/ans...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If you are going to be on TV and it is obvious that everything you have is because daddy gave it to you, please don't be a bad person. Also, don't brag about being hardcore when you are using a pair of Tasco binos and a Littler Mermaid backpack. #doekiller

Completely agree this show is ridiculous. But I didnt change the channel. I just kept yelling how horrible it is to my wife who just gave me a retarted look in return.

Got to watch it last night. Honestly, didn't find it nearly as bad as some of the other shows. I continue to wonder why most of the participants in these shows choose to participate, though. I wouldn't think the May's need more in the way of advertising for their business, and some of what was shown didn't exactly scream "we run a good outfit." Leaving clients with the dead bear on incoming tide ... after it was pointed out that every other bear in the areas is around, and pronouncements of how extremely dangerous these 1400 pound behemoths can be, didn't seem like a wise choice. And one wonders too why they were not set up to get the bear into the boat rather than tow it that far. On the other hand, making incoming clients shoot their weapon prior to the hunt to check ability and accuracy should be something all guides do imo.

Oh, and if I'm gonna get a ways from the house cutting wood, I carry at minimum spare chain, often spare bar as well. And you need to know when to do an undercut so as not to pinch the chain <grin>.

If you guys really want to see bad, check out "Alaskan Bush People"!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

You got that right Mark! They couldn't make that show any cheesier if they tried!!!!!

Got to watch it last night. Honestly, didn't find it nearly as bad as some of the other shows. I continue to wonder why most of the participants in these shows choose to participate, though. I wouldn't think the May's need more in the way of advertising for their business, and some of what was shown didn't exactly scream "we run a good outfit." Leaving clients with the dead bear on incoming tide ... after it was pointed out that every other bear in the areas is around, and pronouncements of how extremely dangerous these 1400 pound behemoths can be, didn't seem like a wise choice. And one wonders too why they were not set up to get the bear into the boat rather than tow it that far. On the other hand, making incoming clients shoot their weapon prior to the hunt to check ability and accuracy should be something all guides do imo.

Oh, and if I'm gonna get a ways from the house cutting wood, I carry at minimum spare chain, often spare bar as well. And you need to know when to do an undercut so as not to pinch the chain <grin>.

Come on, we know why they participate. Either to sell something or to feed their fragile egos. This is pure entertainment nothing more nothing less. You cannot watch any of these shows (except maybe Chip in LBZ or AST) and glean any sense of true Alaskan lifestyle. I made myself watch an episode of Alaskan Bush People the other night. If that's the bar they've set for quality Alaskan programming then I have nothing to worry about regarding my own shows. Which reminds me, I bet you a beer they'll never show anything getting hunted and KILLED on camera.

Guess you missed that thread I started awhile back...... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...an-Bush-People

Life below zero had showed some shots on bears seals caribou goats and deer so far. They like promoting the blood side of alaska.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Life below zero had showed some shots on bears seals caribou goats and deer so far. They like promoting the blood side of alaska.
    Yep.... Agnes was really laying into the seals with the ol' scatter gun the other night.....

Sorry, but I HAVE to fast forward through Sue's segment now.......really just can't take it anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast