Thread: Floatation devices

Default Floatation devices

Does anyone know if canoes have the same safety requirements as boats? For instance if you are in a canoe on the Swanson do you need a life jacket for each person, a whistle, and a throwable device?

Without checking, I believe all safety items are required on navigable waters. But my gut reaction is, you should WANT those items, even if they aren't required!

--fangler

?
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Does anyone know if canoes have the same safety requirements as boats? For instance if you are in a canoe on the Swanson do you need a life jacket for each person, a whistle, and a throwable device?
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Default Safety

ther can never be to much safety in any boat as for a canoe it is easyer to tipe it over so at all times wear floation an be safe have fun

SID

I have not always been of this persuasion, but I can no longer imagine getting into a canoe without *wearing* a PFD. Having one in the boat, but not on is almost useless. You can't put them on while you're in the water. You ought to try it some time. Lots of dead boaters out there.

Thumbs up PFD's....

Do you recall hearing of the deaths of the 3-20year old girls who drowned Memorial Day weekend in Harding Lake. Among their mistakes, they weren't wearing PFD's...and they all drowned....Alaska's waters are too cold to be able to rely only on swimming to save yourself.

Depend on wearing a type III PFD for survival on the water.

It's bad enough that you lose all your gear.

Being on the water without a PFD is just plan dumb you should see the look on your moms face at your funeral. She will ask why you didn't wear your life jacket.

The other thing that you should remember when on the water.

You can't revive a drunk when they drown they DIE. All the laws about drinking and driving pertain to water vehicles as well.

SAVE YOUR DRINKING FOR THE END OF THE DAY ON SHORE!

I would love to never have to pull a dead person out of the water again, it is bad enough pulling the ones that didn't wear their PFD, you should see the panicked look on their face when they think that they are going to drowned.

I do remind people that they should wear their PFD some get mad , some tell me to mind my own business.

Default PFD's

Happy:
    Yes, canoes are subject to the same safety requirements as applicable; you will need (at a minimum) on the Swanson, a Type I, II or III for each person, a sound producing device (whistle will work fine; send me a PM with your address, I'll send you some!) and visual distress signals (state requirement) if you are operating between between sunset and sunrise. You've already gotten some great advice on this thread, so I won't elaborate further except to add that you can easily carry everything you might need in your PFD if it has appropriate pockets. Mine has a whistle, knife, PEPIRB, strobe light and VHF radio for boating. You can set your PFD up any way that works for you, enjoy the Swanson! Mike

Default all good advice, but....

.... as I get older and money means less.... I have been wearing a dry suit while on my RHIB lately, and it is a fantastic piece of equipment. Very comfy, and just great for beaching, etc. I don't think I'd get into a canoe up here w/out one. If you can afford one.... Good luck.

Default Floatation.... RHIB?

Sorry to to be uninformed, jklingel, but what is a RHIB?
    Thanks.

Thanks for all of the responses. Sorry if I mislead anyone. I don't own a canoe, I have a 16' ATEC Tunnel Jet. I was just wondering if canoe=boat according to Johnny Law. Again, sorry about the confusion and God Bless, Hap.

Default Rigid Hull Inflatable

wear the PFD! there are so many in so many differnt shapes and styles- get a float coat or a set of autoinflatable SOSpenders, try a variety.
    Rob

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boa...oatrequire.pdf

Note the exemptions under visual signal and throwable device requirements. You don't need either in a canoe.