Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got some questions. Advice please?

Default Got some questions. Advice please?

Have my baits between Harding and Birch lake in that area of 20B. Had them out since April 20th or so and still no hits. Was curious if this was common for the area. How long should I wait before moving my bait? I've seen a couple people around work already getting hit towards Healy and up the Dalton so I don't want to keep waiting if I'm in a bad area or something. Anyone with experience in the area or knowledge wanna chime in?

My food bait is dog food with a little grease. I have a baitem907 anise ball, knockout lure, and beaver castor paste. I also have rags in trees with anise extract and oil. Today I put out some oats with bear lure (molasses and fruit mixed)

I haven't had a hit up the Dalton myself, hoping it was just a bit early and to get some action this weekend. Dog food, beaver carcasses, salmon and pike spines and heads, castor, bacon grease.

If this is your first year at these sights it will take a little time for them to find it.

I'm also baiting in. 20B and no hits curious to see how many have been getting hits. Talking to a biologist the average day that bears leave their dens up here is on or around 11 may so thinking it still might be early

I learned from a bio down here yesterday that they will stay in or around their dens even during an early spring like what we're having down here.

Yes this is my first year on these sites. They are both placed just a tiny bit up on a hill to allow for better scent distribution and water within .2 miles away. I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing things right. Any more scent dispersal ideas? I have sat in the stand a couple times and burned honey. Any more ideas on the subject are definitely welcomed. I just didn't know if I was doing something wrong by not having been hit yet and wanted to get some input from other baiters.

edit: they are also placed in areas of sense cover and in mixed forest spruce and birch. Seems to be a little more spruce than birch in the area but point being it is mixed.

U will only get grizz
    Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bait didn't get hit until June 25th last year, then it was getting hit daily by multiple bears, I was out of state for my wedding!!!

Try burning molasses it works great as well... Good luck every1

I tried a honey burn once while I was in the stand. I actually had a black bear come in and he walked right to it. However.....when the honey started to pop and hiss from the flame of the sterno it scared the crap out of him and he ran off.

Ringo907, what makes you think I will only get Grizz? I spoke with ADFG and they stated there was a good black bear population in the area. And I will try molasses thank you Ak_Barbarian. Interesting delong, most posts I read they just run right in and aren't scared of it. Maybe I'll try a propane burner instead of sterno to be safe.

There are quite a few grizz in that area. Your putting way more effort into this than needed. You have food and scent out , now it's just time. Did you put any game cameras up? Great way to see when a bear is visiting. If it was me, I wouldn't sit in the stands till the bait was hit and hit hard.
    Good luck and don't get discouraged.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've got cams up currently so I'm just gonna swing by every week or so to check them from here on out.

Every bait I've known put in around there in the past 15 years produced 0 blacks.
    BUT!!! If you wanna feed grizz, you will!! I promise.
    F n G also don't know jack
    Sorry man, I hate to burst bubbles, just forewarning you so you got time to try another one.
    This wouldn't be the Robert I went to North Pole high in 02 would it?
    If so PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo907 View Post
    Every bait I've known put in around there in the past 15 years produced 0 blacks.
    BUT!!! If you wanna feed grizz, you will!! I promise.
    F n G also don't know jack
    Sorry man, I hate to burst bubbles, just forewarning you so you got time to try another one.
    This wouldn't be the Robert I went to North Pole high in 02 would it?
    If so PM me.

Sounds like someone wants you out of there area

Haha
    Note the phrase "try, not pick up and move"....
    I bait no where near the area.
    Just want the guy to be successful as I do everyone else

There are a lot of black bears out there as well, just never had one come in that I wanted. Post some pictures when you connect.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hey Robert, I used to bait that general area "back in the day". While I always put my bait out as early as possible (usually early May), it was usually around Memorial Day before the bears would hit my bait. There are lots of blackies in there, although I did have a close encounter with a sow grizzly and triplet cubs. In any case just try to be patient, the bears will show. I know that's easier to say than do!!

Mostly it's all about location.... I put out 2 in a new area this year , some areas r more active . Within 1 wk 1 got hit hard, bait completely gone, n the other nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast