Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eklutna Trailrace

Default Eklutna Trailrace

I have never fished their for kings, and was wondering if any good amount of kings actually go through that area ? if so what's a good time frame? Does it run about the same time that Susitna runs?

Good luck finding ANY WHERE in the valley that has a a good amount of kings this year. Honestly they should close all fishing to kings for about 5 years and let them at least have a chance to rebound.

Eklutna is different though since its not native fish, how ever from what I have heard Eklutna has not had a decent run of any salmon really in a good while.

But remember the hatchery was shut down for what 2 years , so they didn't produce fish for 2 years, takes 3 years for them to grow up and return. Have to have a hatchery right! So it's either this year or next they they will be on the 3 year cycle???

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    But remember the hatchery was shut down for what 2 years , so they didn't produce fish for 2 years, takes 3 years for them to grow up and return. Have to have a hatchery right! So it's either this year or next they they will be on the 3 year cycle???
    Idk about all that about there being fish I went there on Friday and they have TONS of fry so many they would devour the bait on the hook after 30 seconds of them seeing it. I did notice the water was very low and its was at least 3 feet higher since Friday when I checked on it today. I'd say if there is any chance of the fish coming back it will be in 1 to 2 more weeks. Ive been here 28 years and never went for kings, I don't except to pull any native out for I gave up on trying for the Susitna runs. Hope the fish make up there mind soon.

Lets bring this back up to the top, anything there yet? "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Nope. hmmm... I didn't know there was a minimum character count for a reply to a thread. I thought everyone was just long winded. So I guess besides saying "nope" I can elaborate now. I hate soaking bait so I toss spinners. It has been nice out there until the last day or so with the rippin' wind and now the rain. I usually hit it up after work and I have not seen any rollers either.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    OK this is driving me nuts. For one thing the King Smolt that are released are not reared at that hatchery. They are raised at the Hernandez Hatchery, old Elmondorf Hatchery, in Anchorage. They are then trucked in and placed in the raceways where they imprint on the water. The site provides a recreational fishery that was originally supported by coho, sockeye, and chum salmon returning to the Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association's (CIAA) hatchery located at the head of the tailrace. The private nonprofit hatchery was operational from 1981 through 1998. Currently, the fishery is supported by hatchery coho and chinook salmon that are reared at the ADF&G Jack Hernandez Fish Hatchery in Anchorage and released into the tailrace. Coho salmon smolts have been stocked into the tailrace annually since 1998. Chinook salmon smolts were first stocked in May 2002, which has provided a chinook salmon fishery that began in the spring of 2004. Since it's conception King Smolt have been released every year, there was no shut down even during the construction of the new hatchery. The smolt were raised at the Fort Richardson hatchery at that time.

Ainte nothing there but water and birds, still a nice place for fishin tho, just not for catchin... "fishon"

For whatever it's worth, we swung by to check it out on the way home tonight. In about 20 minutes we saw two 20lb-ish fish hooked among the dozen or so anglers. Both on Vibrax. Both got away, one with a shiny new lure. There are some fish in there. Water is still way low in the Knik, but it's come up a lot since I was there last.

Well I was there this morning, and yes there are fish there, but I only saw 2 hooked during the 2 hours I was there.

I went last night nothing hooked, it was around high tide. Anyone have tips on which tide is better to fish? I've always that low tide as it starts coming back in but I've also heard high tide as it goes out?? Also eggs or vibrax I tried both last night for 3-4 hours kept seeing fish splash but nothing was biting?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    For whatever it's worth, we swung by to check it out on the way home tonight. In about 20 minutes we saw two 20lb-ish fish hooked among the dozen or so anglers. Both on Vibrax. Both got away, one with a shiny new lure. There are some fish in there. Water is still way low in the Knik, but it's come up a lot since I was there last.
    I would try a single hook Kodiak Custom GI skirted spinner in a size 5 or 6 (go big use a 6) low and slow ....King salmon will never spit a KCFT out...just saying
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Hey jedimaster where would I get one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_mcginty View Post
    I went last night nothing hooked, it was around high tide. Anyone have tips on which tide is better to fish? I've always that low tide as it starts coming back in but I've also heard high tide as it goes out?? Also eggs or vibrax I tried both last night for 3-4 hours kept seeing fish splash but nothing was biting?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Personally I don't think the tide makes any difference at the tail race

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Fresh arriving fish always bite better that fish that have been swimming around for a while.

. Caught this small fresh buck on a number 5 mepps orange spinner wedsday night.

Sent from my iPhone

I gotta give it to ya buddy, you are one helluva fisherman... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Fresh arriving fish always bite better that fish that have been swimming around for a while.
    how long does it take the kings to go 3 miles up the knik river?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

They can ride the tide up. I have noticed fresh fish rolling 2-3 hours after high tide. Just depends if they hold up or not.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast