Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is HH Impertech still the way to go for raingear

Default Is HH Impertech still the way to go for raingear

Time has come to replace my raingear. Wondering what everyone is recommending these days. Mostly used for moose/ caribou/ etc.
    I have a set of marmot gear for when i go up in the mountains. Thanks folks, i appreciate the insight!
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

I think so......
    BK

Only if you want to stay dry.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Just got back from Kodiak. Bought a HH Impertech hooded coat and loved it. Several days I was wishing I had bought the pants or bibs instead of relying on Cabelas Dry Plus. Sitting on wet grass glassing for hours found the dampness creeping thru the Dry Plus. Scott Mileur had the longer Guide coat and with his hip waders, he looked like the Gordons fish man. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Only if you want to stay dry.....
    HAHA. So true.

After another disappointing dalliance with the waterproof/breathable rain gear.... I'm back to Impertech.

It's just tough to beat- light enough, quiet enough, stretchy as well repairable in the field with some tape or seam grip and is cheap enough to replace every 2-3 seasons without freaking out about it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I use Impertech for work and I like it. It starts leaking after 2 seasons though. I think I wear out the knees with devils club and kneeling. I like the stuff a lot. The only thing better is heavy weight grundens but its awful sweaty.

Grundens makes some lighter weight stretchy rain gear that is really similar to the Impertec. I ting the the grundens seems to fit me better, especially in the pants. They even make a long coat like HH does. Not sure if they put them on the lighter weight stuff, but I do like the neoprene inner cuffs they put on some of their heavier gear. I think pricing is similar as well. I've been very pleased with the durability of the pants over long term use.

Love mine. Duck hunt to caribou hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    I use Impertech for work and I like it. It starts leaking after 2 seasons though. I think I wear out the knees with devils club and kneeling. I like the stuff a lot. The only thing better is heavy weight grundens but its awful sweaty.
    Devil's club is hard on stuff for sure. The good thing about Impertech is when they leak after two seasons you just replace them. When they're $300+ Sitka/Kuiu/Marmot/Arcteryx/Etc. you have a good long moan about it....and then replace them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Gage rain gear. 100 buck for top and bottom.... I'm done with high dollar gear.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Keep your old impertec for patch material on the new ones. Aqua seal and impertec are like peanut butter and jelly.... It just works. I have a 900 set of rain gear I got for half price, I got wet. Long guide coat from impertec and hip boots....the Kodiak kondom.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My Impertec has never let me down. All the breathable's I have tried did if it stayed wet long enough. Everything breathable eventually inhales it seems. When the weather is good (and I believe it will stay so) & I'm going high I make take light breathable. BUT, a normal moose or bear season on the Kenai & the Impertec will be in the pack (or on me).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Been using HH for a long while with nary a regret. You can tear it up, but as has been already mentioned it's easily repaired in the field and works as advertised. Without going with something much, much heavier I have not found anything its equal for my uses and the other options are more akin to a sauna than a rain coat in the field.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Allright....you finally wore me down. I just ordered the 3/4 guide coat for an upcoming bear hunt. I found it online for $69.95.

I saw a HH coat at Cabelas the was a pull over with knit cuffs that seemed like a good idea. The cuffs were "up" inside the coat so to speak, wondered if anyone tried that model.

We like ours so well my wife and I will be using it in Orlando at Disney World in a couple weeks. We may look out of place but I don't think the grandkids will notice.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Guide Long Coat and Bibs are the way to go......

Aqua seal is amazing stuff. Always have a tube in the gear bag. Like others have said the gage rain gear is a nice lightweight set of rain gear. Gortex is for tourists on a 1 day outing where it might rain. I have a friend who is a hunting guide and he wears grundens heavy weight rain gear....same set for 10 years.

Impertech is proven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast