Thread: Kantishna

Default Kantishna

So we are starting to plan a run from Nenana to the Kantishna to a property my gf dad staked out in the 70's. Never been up there. Any tips on running these rivers? I spend most of my time on the kenai and 20mile so not any time on the northern rivers. The trip is aprox. 68mi. one way. Will be running a 20' north river with a 4stroke 50 Yamaha. I'm thinking of adding a lift to the transom so I can change shaft depth on the fly. Planning on bringing 4 props for the first run. Never know when your going to run into o'l Murphy.

At that distance from Nenana there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. Just read the river and remember if you cut a corner to much you'll probably hit a bar on the inside of the turn, these will be silt not rock. The channel goes back and forth around each bend. You have to get quite a ways up the Kantishna River before you need to be careful. The whole trip is a very easy prop run. If the property is in one of the old state disposal area's there will probably be a little bit of boat traffic. You might have more problems with "caribou crossing" on the Tanana just up river from the Kantishna. Lately the channel goes way to the right as you go down the Tanana behind some islands as you go past the Tolovana, but it has changed quite a bit from the 70's when I first went down there and I'm not sure about this year, as I haven't gone down river. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    So we are starting to plan a run from Nenana to the Kantishna to a property my gf dad staked out in the 70's. Never been up there. Any tips on running these rivers? I spend most of my time on the kenai and 20mile so not any time on the northern rivers. The trip is aprox. 68mi. one way. Will be running a 20' north river with a 4stroke 50 Yamaha. I'm thinking of adding a lift to the transom so I can change shaft depth on the fly. Planning on bringing 4 props for the first run. Never know when your going to run into o'l Murphy.
    The run down the Tanana from Nenana is pretty straight forward and about 60 miles all by itself. Other than sand bars and logs not to much to worry about. Unless you are extremely good at hitting logs I'd be surprised if you needed all four props. I usually have one on and a spare. Usually my spare is pitched down just in case I find out I accedently brought too much stuff. Haha, it really sucks trying to decide what to leave behind in Nenana but if you cant get on step its best to turn around and leave some stuff.

The Kantishna is also pretty straight forward, just logs and sandbars. You may want to recheck your milage though. The bottom section of the Kantishna is in the Minto Flats game refuge and I'm not awear of any private parcels other than a native alotment close to the mouth. The staking area that the state opend up in the late 70's early 80's starts around river mile 30 on the Kantishna. Which would make your one way trip closer to 90mi.

I will check my miles. I think I used a gazetteer to rough measure with a string. Thanks for brining that up. Do you have a usgs map number I should use for this run? Like I said totally green on the long runs. I'll drop my oh dang props to two. And plan on extra fuel. Not brining a ton of gear for the test run. Just checking out the logistics. I'll check our land holding and repost the river miles. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'm making this trip with some of the most important people in my life and want to be as prepared as I can. I love surprises unless they suck so again thanks for sharing.

I would be happy to meet with you and discuss the river. I am very good friends with three other families that have cabins in the staking area and we usually talk to each other about our trips to and from the area. In the summer its all about river conditions and or fire status. And in the winter its all about the trail conditions. However, it such a long trip back for help its always a good idea for safety sake to let others know what you are planing. Phone service on the river is spotty yet available if you have ACS. If you want specific information about the area around your staking parcel and the river close to there, I would be happy to share anything I know.

KantishnaCabin that sounds great! Pm me your information. I'll be out of town working until the 8th or 9th of June. I'll get in touch with you around then.

You can also use google earth to measure the miles. When I'm on my tablet I use http://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm

Thanks for the tip!

Just curious... How did the trip go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk