Thread: Happy Mother's Day

Default Happy Mother's Day

My wife just got back to the island and was in serious need of few hours on the water with kings. Who am I to turn down a Mother's Day request like that?

We only fished a couple of hours, but landed three and lost one at the boat. Of course the one that shook off was the biggest! It easily topped 40#, while this was the biggest landed at only 26#. Her smile is nothing compared to the one after her first bite of fresh king salmon after a winter of frozen!

A few other boats around, but we saw only one other fish caught. She got kick out of us quietly sneaking around catching fish while no one was watching.

Nice!!! What region are you located at if you don't mind me asking?

Very NICE!!!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

We're on The Rock (Kodiak).

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We're on The Rock (Kodiak).
    Cool. We have a group of five kayaks headed to Kodiak in late August. Budget means we will likely stay on the road system, but our main target will be shallow water halibut bigger than the chickens we catch here in Cook Inlet. We are really looking forward to it!!!!

Cool! By late August they're up real shallow most years, right off the river mouths eating pink salmon. We expect lots of good fish in less than 60' most years. Son-in-law got a 135 in about 8' of water. Saw it on bottom while chucking spoons for early silvers, dangled the spoon and fish on, with 12# line. I picked up a 75 on an 8-weight fly rod while chasing chums in the same area. Lots bigger have been taken by others. We'll stay in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Cool! By late August they're up real shallow most years, right off the river mouths eating pink salmon. We expect lots of good fish in less than 60' most years. Son-in-law got a 135 in about 8' of water. Saw it on bottom while chucking spoons for early silvers, dangled the spoon and fish on, with 12# line. I picked up a 75 on an 8-weight fly rod while chasing chums in the same area. Lots bigger have been taken by others. We'll stay in touch.
    Nice!!!! I will stay in touch. Appropriately named thread, my mother goes to Kodiak in the summer to work as the lead roe technician for one of the seafood plants. Hoping to get a box of whole fresh pinks for bait from her when we get there. We are stoked about the possibilities. We've rented a house and we should be there August 24th through the 30th or 31st. I can't wait!!!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.