Thread: Looking for a place to camp in the Cooper Landing area

Default Looking for a place to camp in the Cooper Landing area

I apologize if this is a redundant question. I tried to search around this forum but I didn't find any answers.

I will be bringing my girlfriend up to Alaska and I thought it would be interesting to check out the Russian River. We will be looking for a place to camp on Sunday, August 17th. We will just be pitching a tent so I don't need a big RV space and I find those to be a hassle at times with limited places to pitch a tent off the paved surfaces. However, I am sure that my girlfriend would appreciate some limited facilities like an outhouse.

So, any suggestions on places to camp? I have looked at the Russian River Campground but it looks mostly like paved RV stalls.

Also, what are the crowds like that time of year? I have often told her of combat fishing and figured that would be fun for her to see if there are any runs still going on at that time.

Thanks in advance.

If you want a site with basic facilities, the Cooper Creek campground is a decent option.

Thanks Brian. I will check that one out too. Any particular reason you suggest it?

Looking at some aerial photos, it looks like the Russian River Campground might be the most logical choice since we will probably hike the trail up the river. Any reason to shy away from this campground at this time of year due to crowds or other reasons?

lots of bears that time of the year. End of the 2nd red run but before silvers. Cooper Creek might have less activity.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
    Thanks Brian. I will check that one out too. Any particular reason you suggest it?

Looking at some aerial photos, it looks like the Russian River Campground might be the most logical choice since we will probably hike the trail up the river. Any reason to shy away from this campground at this time of year due to crowds or other reasons?
    As stated the bears. The USFS typically does not allow for camping in tents if things are getting out of hand. You will have to sleep in the car or other hard shelter. Cooper Creek is close by the Russian and is much more rustic than the Russian facilities. There is Quartz Creek up on the Kenai Lake before Cooper Landing. If you want to hike to Russian Lake you can get a day use permit to park at the trail heads. Trout fishermen may have those parking lots full on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    As stated the bears. The USFS typically does not allow for camping in tents if things are getting out of hand. You will have to sleep in the car or other hard shelter. Cooper Creek is close by the Russian and is much more rustic than the Russian facilities. There is Quartz Creek up on the Kenai Lake before Cooper Landing. If you want to hike to Russian Lake you can get a day use permit to park at the trail heads. Trout fishermen may have those parking lots full on any given day.
    Thanks AK Ray I meant Quartz Creek.

Gotcha, thanks for the comments. I will look at Quartz Creek too.

I like the Russian River campground, and while they have closed it to tent camping due to bear activity in the past, that's the exception rather than the rule. We camp there in tents a few times a year. I prefer the sites on the outside of the loops on the side of the road opposite the river. It's much quieter over there, and being away from the river it's slightly less likely to have bears walking through your site.

The Cooper Creek campground is just a bit quieter and simpler, and it's located about 100 yards from Sackett's Kenai Grill - excellent pizza and beer!

Heh, I was almost sold on Quartz Creek until you have to go and mention pizza and beer

I liked Quartz Creek since we will have a PR-49 with us and I would imagine we could hop on the creek or at least get out on the lake. Decisions, decisions...

As of two years ago, Quartz wouldn't allow you to camp off the paved parking pad. I like the spot, but don't like putting up my tent on pavement. I'm not sure if that has changed or not, but it was intended to help with revegetation.

Thanks once again, Brian. I will probably be using my Golite SL5 so it could be a challenge to try to pitch it on pavement or even gravel. It makes perfect sense in regards to vegetation. I was looking at the Forest Service page for Quartz Creek and they don't mention anything about camping off the pavement so if that is still in effect, it sure would be nice to have that posted somewhere before we just show up. Anyway, I think we are pretty settled on the Cooper Creek and everything right there is close enough anyway. Thanks for the help.