Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunting -Spotting Scope and Pack

Default Sheep Hunting -Spotting Scope and Pack

I might be doing a solo trip this year and contemplating a couple gear changes. One is a compact spotting scope. Looking at the Vortex Razor 50mm HD as a possibility. It goes up tp 33x. My current scope is a 20x60 60mm. The compact would be about 1/2 the weight and much smaller. The other change is a more specilized pack like the Stone Glacier. It would cut 4 lbs off the Barneys I currently use. Comments on these changes? Am I giving up too much with the smaller scope. The Barneys is bomb proof but heavy. Do I just stick with?

Quote Originally Posted by DeskJockey View Post
    I might be doing a solo trip this year and contemplating a couple gear changes. One is a compact spotting scope. Looking at the Vortex Razor 50mm HD as a possibility. It goes up tp 33x. My current scope is a 20x60 60mm. The compact would be about 1/2 the weight and much smaller. The other change is a more specilized pack like the Stone Glacier. It would cut 4 lbs off the Barneys I currently use. Comments on these changes? Am I giving up too much with the smaller scope. The Barneys is bomb proof but heavy. Do I just stick with?
    I definitely wouldn't sacrifice the glass. Stick with what you have i would never go sheep hunting without a 60mm at least. it can be the most valuable tool you have.

As far as the pack, i am in the same boat. It comes down to if you have the extra cash. Whats better than buying a lighter pack is getting in better shape for your hunt. its easy to get sidetracking with the latest and greatest gear and forget about your physical abilities and being able to perform for 10 days in the mountains.

I hear ya on the shape part of it. I'm always trying to work that.

I am going to do a fall sheep solo walk in also. I have an old Nikon 20-60-60 spotter that I upgraded to a 20x60x85 vortex HD that I plan to take. The V is much bigger and a bit heavier. I am going to skimp on the tripod probably though.

I plan to take my Kifaru longhunter - it weighs in around 9lbs. I thought about getting a barney pinnacle, but decided not to spend the $$$.

I will just have to come out slow if I get lucky. This middle aged fat man tends to walk down the pasture more than run these days anyway so I should be fine. I am planning for a couple extra days so I don't have to worry about fast. Slow and steady gets it done for me more often than not. That said - I really need to start doing something to get in a different shape than round.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    This middle aged fat man tends to walk down the pasture more than run these days anyway so I should be fine. I am planning for a couple extra days so I don't have to worry about fast. Slow and steady gets it done for me more often than not. That said - I really need to start doing something to get in a different shape than round.
    I only say this as a precautionary...... If you don't plan on getting into any better shape before the sheep hunt, then you really might think about bringing along a partner. If not maybe get your ticker checked out before you leave. Only you know how overweight you are and if you get to exerting yourself too much in your "round" condition and something happens without anybody around, then, well, you know, it could be a recipe for disaster. And I'm not even talking about the pack out if you are lucky.

Good luck, but think about it.......ok?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I only say this as a precautionary...... If you don't plan on getting into any better shape before the sheep hunt, then you really might think about bringing along a partner. If not maybe get your ticker checked out before you leave. Only you know how overweight you are and if you get to exerting yourself too much in your "round" condition and something happens without anybody around, then, well, you know, it could be a recipe for disaster. And I'm not even talking about the pack out if you are lucky.

Good luck, but think about it.......ok?
    Very solid advice to consider, especially for the "round". The backcountry is no where to be struck down and alone. On a solo CO elk hunt years ago before SPOTs and SAT phones, I twisted my knee going over a log. For the first 20 minutes, while the initial pain subsided and I could really assess the injury, I was ****tin a golden brick. I was 10+ miles back with no way to contact the outside world. I was cursing myself for getting into that position. Luckily, it wasn't crazy bad and a slide on knee brace allowed me to get somewhere safe. If you're not in tip top shape, get yourself a partner and some peace of mind. Good luck.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

I agree - keep the 20-60x60 glass. It will save you a whole lot of walking. The new lightweight packs should be tested during training season long before you commit to taking them on a sheep hunt.

I will be taking my new Kuiu Ultra 6000 on a few hunts this year. Training with it for the last month has been pretty good. It is not as "cushy" as my Mystery Ranch Kodiak, but it is good enough to hunt with.

Quote Originally Posted by rain4est View Post
    I agree - keep the 20-60x60 glass. It will save you a whole lot of walking. The new lightweight packs should be tested during training season long before you commit to taking them on a sheep hunt.

I will be taking my new Kuiu Ultra 6000 on a few hunts this year. Training with it for the last month has been pretty good. It is not as "cushy" as my Mystery Ranch Kodiak, but it is good enough to hunt with.
    Test that Kuiu Ultra good before you go on a sheep hunt with it. I have already seen some broken ones, and yes the NEW version that just came out.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Test that Kuiu Ultra good before you go on a sheep hunt with it. I have already seen some broken ones, and yes the NEW version that just came out.
    What breaks on them Steve?

What breaks on them Steve?

Check this link before it gets deleted.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showt...u-Ultra-Thread
    Founding Member

Deleted... missed it. Summary?

A buddy of mine had his Icon 7200 snap at the end of a sheep hunt last year. It was one of the tall points above the shoulder area. All was good for the hunt, but it was returned.

The new Ultra has a shorter and thicker point & seems to have held up so far. I have carried 81# for a 1.5 hour hike, as well as several 2.5 hour hikes with 65#. This weekend, I will test it with 110-130#+ and see how it does.

I will start by saying I have NO direct experience with Kuiu packs. I'm a huge fan of their clothes, but they seem to have had issues with their pack line. I believe the Ultra is the 4th Gen of their Carbon fiber frame and with each new release they claim to have fixed what was wrong with the prior version.

There have been some photos of broken Ultra frames, I saw the photos but can't say first hand how it got broke. IMHO they are okay for guided hunters or hunters that are not hauling loads over 100lbs.

Check out the Kuiu forum there is a thread about them there as well.

If you are happy and it works for you that is all that matters,, from those I have spoke to about them, said that when the frames break it is almost impossible to field repair them.

Best wishes
    Founding Member

I'm 6'4" and 250 pounds. I would like to be 225-220. If I shoot a sheep I will flutter out - feet won't even touch the ground!

I saw that thread about the broken Ultra frame and it looked pretty shady. Didn't look like it just snapped during a regular hike. I'm not trying to defend the pack because I personally didn't like the Ultra and sent it back. There's some ridiculous threads on Rokslide concerning Kuiu that constantly get deleted and that was one of them. If the Ultra is comfortable for you I'm sure you'll be fine on your hunt. The biggest complaint I had with mine and most of the complaints I've seen is with the comfort of the hip belt. One person on Rokslide complained about it carrying heavy loads and all the sudden everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

When it comes to packs I am really enjoying my new Kifaru Duplex frame with Highcamp 7000 bag.
    I will say I only have about 8 hours in the field with it & only with a day load (about 30#), but I do have at least 30 treadmill hours in it with anywhere from 30 to 50#, & it is the most comfortable pack I have worn. I have a Barney's frame, & above 100# the Barney's may out shine it, but I doubt it. I am more than pleased with my purchase. Not only is it comfortable, but the quality is 1st rate & it is extremely versatile. I also picked up the net "cargo panel" for it, & it seems like it would be perfect for hauling moose quarters.
    It was more money than I would normally be comfortable spending on a pack, but so far I feel it was worth every penny.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

They are a lot of packs on the market these days.

I would not recommend a kuiu pack for someone doing a DIY sheep hunt in alaska. i have no personal experience just have seen a lot of them fail in the field. There are many packs id trust my life with and thats not one of them. Kifaru, Stone glacier, and barneys are kinda the big 3 IMO.

I'm 6'4" and 250 pounds. I would like to be 225-220. If I shoot a sheep I will flutter out - feet won't even touch the ground!
    Only in your dreams. So keep dreaming and maybe the weight will just fall off too...???.......lol

Only in your dreams. So keep dreaming and maybe the weight will just fall off too...???.......lol

Cool that is exactly what I was hoping for! Also - I plan on just scoping from the truck. That's why I bought the new spotter. The warranty said something about bringing the sheep right to my truck! Sounds like the new glass will really save some wear and tear on my new tennis shoes. I can just use my bow then and I can use my 20 year old cabela's frame without the pack to haul him out whole. I'll just gut him at the truck and put him right into the freezer.

How much does that Duplex weigh empty? I have not checked that pack out yet.

Sounds like the new glass will really save some wear and tear on my new tennis shoes.
    You might want to bring an extra pair for driving......

How much does that Duplex weigh empty? I have not checked that pack out yet.
    http://store.kifaru.net/packs-c3.aspx
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast