Thread: How to sell Higher end guns?

Default How to sell Higher end guns?

I got a ar10 I got $4200 into it, I can't sell. Any ideas? Anyone have any experience with the gun auction web sites. I have been trying to sell it on alaska list, base for sale for $3500 which I though was very reasonable considering it's almost new.

Quote Originally Posted by jpriak View Post
    I got a ar10 I got $4200 into it, I can't sell. Any ideas? Anyone have any experience with the gun auction web sites. I have been trying to sell it on alaska list, base for sale for $3500 which I though was very reasonable considering it's almost new.
    You won't like this, and you can be mad at me if you want, but the best (only) thing you can do is lower your price. Basic ECON 101: high prices drive down demand. Just because you paid too much, doesn't mean others will. I don't recall AR's selling at that price even at the height of the paranoia.

Wow How did you get so much in to a AR10, just did a quick check on gun brokers
    and had 657 hits with only 1 above 4k and only 3 above 3k, and tons you can get for under
    2k. Good luck Del
    Owner of Kenai Keeper www.kenaikeeper.com

I'd look at auctions for guns identical to yours and see what they've sold for and that'll give you some idea of the going price.

Alaska is something of a limited market and it's sometimes just a matter of finding the right buyer somewhere else and sometimes it comes down to you'll have to just take less.

Gun values are a very finicky thing and getting your money back out of one is probably the worst thought you can have about one- sometimes you do and sometimes you don't.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Advertise it on the Slope and in Dutch Harbor. Both places with limited access to firearms and folks working with $ to spend on guns. That said I agree $3500 is a lot for an ar10 even if it has all the bells and whistles. JMO

It's an expensive ar-10 it's a pof GEN 4$2600 on sale, has a Nikon m308 scope $500, pelican case$270, 500 rounds of ammo that added up to be $4200. It's a lot of gun, I see people on alaska list asking new price for there stuff I thought I was being reasonable knocking $700 off the bat, thing is 4 months old and 30 rounds threw. Anyway I think I might have someone interested, went down another $200 we'll see what happens.

Sell it gun, ammo, and components separately, maybe.

There's probably a whole lot more people with 2k to burn than 4k to burn.

At 4k, you're getting into a pretty premium market. I'd buy a Scar with awesome optics at that price over an AR10, no questions asked, and then deal with a case and ammo separately.

Not saying it's not a good deal, just a marketing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Sell it gun, ammo, and components separately, maybe.

There's probably a whole lot more people with 2k to burn than 4k to burn.

At 4k, you're getting into a pretty premium market. I'd buy a Scar with awesome optics at that price over an AR10, no questions asked, and then deal with a case and ammo separately.

Not saying it's not a good deal, just a marketing issue.
    Exactly what I was thinking, if I was shopping for an AR-10 I wouldn't want the ammo, scope or case.

It's an expensive ar-10 it's a pof GEN 4$2600 on sale, has a Nikon m308 scope $500, pelican case$270, 500 rounds of ammo that added up to be $4200. It's a lot of gun, I see people on alaska list asking new price for there stuff I thought I was being reasonable knocking $700 off the bat, thing is 4 months old and 30 rounds threw. Anyway I think I might have someone interested, went down another $200 we'll see what happens.
    They're asking for the new price. Doesn't mean they're getting it. See any money change hands? Also, their new price is half what your new price is. As mike said, not too many folks w/4$k to burn-especially in this economy. If I had a $4k surplus, it wouldn't go into a gun. (4 guns perhaps, but not one lol.) Sell your ammo separately; people are still crazy paranoid about ammo. four grand for a gun...lol

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    There's probably a whole lot more people with 2k to burn than 4k to burn...
    If I had 4K to burn I'd spend the winter on a white sand beach....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I misread a bit, I couldn't get a Scar + optic at your price, just the rifle.

Another thing is that people may well want most of what you have, but not your particular optic. So why pay for something that isn't exactly what you want. It's a problem a lot of customized things run into.

That's a good idea just to part it out, if it falls through with this guy that's what I'm going to be doing, thanks for the ideas!

First people have different tastes in optics then they also expect a better price on a package deal than buying one thing at a time. I always take a quality scope off the rifle because they will always bring less as a package. Same goes for your ammo and case, break it apart into individual prices to sell each with their own price. You can offer it all as a package and a reduced price as a package to give a buyer incentive to cash you out in one shot but itís far more likely that if you sell them all to different buyers each will bring its best price. Now the price is not likely to be full retail (especially not on high end items) . . . if youíre buying a lightly used Rolex from Joe Blow you will want a significantly better price than you can get it new from a store because the new one is 100% new, you will be more confident it is a real Rolex, and you will expect the store and manufacturer are more likely to help you if itís faulty than Joe Blow would be if you can even find him.

Also the bottom fell out of ARs, not quite as bad with 10s as 15s but bad enough. I just got an email offering me AR15s complete parts kits (everything to build complete guns, including sights eve but not assembled) starting at $299 each . . . these same kits were $600ish and backordered a year ago. Same with 223/5.56 ammo, amazing the prices Iím getting offered from the distributers these days when a year ago there was little to be had at any price. The AR market is awash with product now, a true buyers market so, expect to take a bit of a bath or continue being the proud owner of a quality AR10.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm in the market for an AR platform. I've started looking into the AR-10s, but I don't have $4k to burn...I don't even have $2k to burn...or $1k lol.

You are selling to a small percentage of gun owners. You are selling to an elite group of buyers with a specific desire...to own a high priced AR-10. Hold on to it. Eat your loss, or do what others say and split it all up.

Good Luck and I hope you don;t eat to much.

The AR market is in the toilet right now. Distributors are almost giving them away because their inventories are so high. It is certainly a buyers market right now.....and not a sellers.

You're in luck! AOD has a rich history on this issue that can guide your actions as you dispose of this weapon.

#1 List the gun for what you think it's worth, or whatever you're willing to take for it
    #2 Wait for the Forum to complain that you're asking too much
    #3 Sit back and enjoy as the conversation careens off into disjointed ranting and raving about the good old days, fair vs unfair, Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, Obama/the gummint, subsistence, entitlements, and the 1st Amendment (usually right after the mods remind the group to stay on topic)

Best of luck! Hope you find buyer.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

You will have to use gun broker there are far more people there that will pay too much for that AR. There market is back to normal and the bottom line is you have too much into that gun IT IS OVER VALUED.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

You cannot list it as an AR-10, you need to list is as a POF .308 semi.The people looking for POF's have the money and are not looking for a run-of-the-mill AR-10. Guy just down the road has a POF. Nice rifle.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Did this ever sell?